Revell's 1/72 Mig-21 F-13 (FINISHED!)

Hi guys!

I've started my 1/72 scale Revell Mig-21 F-13 kit last week.

As I'm a fan of Russian aircraft, I'll finish mine in a standard Russian sheme: silvergrey with green di-electric panels and red stars! :banana:

I've got myself a Pavla update set for this kit. It features a resin seat, a resin nosecone, some resin wheels and a vacuformed canopy.

The Pavla stuff looks good, but it sure isn't meant for the Revell kit, although Pavla says it is...

But it fits, and that's the most important thing!

Today I glued the fuselage together (don't have pics of that at the moment), but I'll post some pics of the my progress of last days.

Some pictures of the progress a few days ago (sorry about the bad lighting):

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

Greetz!

Jurgen

Edited by Flyingraptor

Paint chart: I used Modelmaster Russian Interior Blue/green for the cockpit and Humbrol Authentic Color Range Russian Blue for the wheel bays and wells.

The wheel bays are scratchbuild detailed with some metal wire, etc. Used pictures I found on the internet as a guide for the detailing...

Here's the Pavla nosecone vs. the kit part:

DSC00020.jpg

The wings:

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

Wheel bays:

DSC00039.jpg

Pavla vacuformed canopy vs. kit part:

DSC00040.jpg

Pavla wheels and nosecone:

DSC00042.jpg

Edited by Flyingraptor

nice start! You have to keep in mind (Fishbed experts correct me if I'm wrong) that most of the F-13s had grey/black cockpits... I know Czech ones had green ones and it could be that VVS ones had it after overhauls but I'm not certain on that

Too bad... Can't change the color anymore...

I couldn't see any markings on the plan I used as a reference... Could be a Czechoslovakian plane, don't know...

But the Russians fooled around with the color of their cockpits, so mine is one of those aircraft where they ran out of grey paint and so they painted it blue/green. :D

Edited by Flyingraptor

Yes, I found out that the bird I used as a reference is indead Czechoslovakian.

I found some other pictures of it on my HDD and I spotted some Czechoslovakian roundels.

Too bad I already painted it blue/green...

But hey, I'm still going on with my building, wrong cockpit color or not! :bandhead2:

Some updates!

I call this build my "first time" build.

It's the first time I used my airbrush for a major paintjob, the first time I used Alclad, the first time I will use a weathering wash on my model, etc...

Picture of the canopy, windscreen and aft piece of the canopy:

DSC00901.jpg

Some random pictures of the paintjob:

DSC00904.jpg

DSC00905.jpg

DSC00906.jpg

DSC00907.jpg

DSC00912.jpg

DSC00913.jpg

DSC00915.jpg

DSC00916.jpg

But then... disaster struck!

One tip: don't use Alclad on top of Humbrol Maskol... When peeling off the Maskol the Alclad came off with it, something never happend to me with enamel paint....

Oh well, I stripped the Alclad coat and remasked the canopy, this time with Tamiya tape only. Will spray it again...

After that, I fixed the back piece of the canopy onto the fuselage. But I knew there was going to be a gap between those to...

So I masked the area off with tape and filled the gap with Tamiya Putty. I then removed the excess putty with some isopropyl alcohol.

But then... disaster no. 2!

The alcohol found its way underneath the masking tape and ruined the Alclad paintjob underneath it...

So... respraying... AGAIN!

Some pictures:

DSC00919.jpg

DSC00921.jpg

DSC00922.jpg

DSC00923.jpg

DSC00924.jpg

Owkay, both disasters are solved!

I stripped the loosened paint and masked the canopy again, this time with Tamiya tape.

I smoothed the area around the cockpit out by sanding and masked it with some rolls of Pritt Buddy (Blu-Tac) and paper (to cover the rest of the model).

Sprayed some thin coats of Alclad and... voila! Everything fixed again!

Next step will be checking the model for possible touchups needed and after that coating with Sols Plus (Future).

Then decaling, recoating with Sols Plus, weathering with Pro-Modelers Dark Dirt wash and adding a last coat of Sols Plus.

Is it all in the correct order? I mean, the coating with Sols Plus, before and after decaling and after weathering?

Also... still have to dip the canopy in Sols Plus, add the antennas and landing gear thingies, pylons for the missiles, the drop tank...

Some pics:

Landing gear and nose-antenna:

DSC00908.jpg

Atoll missiles from the Dragon set:

DSC00917.jpg

Cheers! :huh:

Very nice build and painting. Some things surprise me:

- do you have reference showing a MiG-21 F-13 with dielectric green radome at the fin top ? I don't recall that F-13 had an antenna there

- the missile looks like a R-13M1; isn't the missile too recent for such an old MiG-21 ?

Next step will be checking the model for possible touchups needed and after that coating with Sols Plus (Future).

Then decaling, recoating with Sols Plus, weathering with Pro-Modelers Dark Dirt wash and adding a last coat of Sols Plus.

Is it all in the correct order? I mean, the coating with Sols Plus, before and after decaling and after weathering?

Yes, that is the order if you want to have a glossy finish. You might be able to get away with gloss, weathering, decaling, final gloss coat, but the decals would probably disappear better under two coats.

And by weather I assume you mean doing a wash of some sort. Weathering with pastels doesn't work to well on gloss, although I don't think this type of plane requires that.

@ Laurent:

Thanks for you comment!

I followed the Revell instructions and some pictures of a Mig-21 F-13, painted as a Russian bird (click!).

I also found some builds in the ARC Gallery wich also feature a top fin di-electric panel painted green...

But I'm not sure this is fully correct...

The missiles are AA-2 Atoll missiles according to Dragon's instructions. Do you think they are to modern for the Mig-21 F-13?

When I compare these missiles with the dummy-missiles from the Revell kit, they look the same. Same lenght, and same panel line detail.

So it looks that the missiles in the Revell kit are just dummy versions of AA-2 Atoll missiles, or am I wrong?

@ spejic:

Thanks for the help!

Yes, as I mentioned before, I'll be using the Promodellers Dark Dirt Wash (http://www.promodeller.com).

I don't know if operational Mig-21 F-13's got weathered? How far should I go with the weathering?

The missiles are AA-2 Atoll missiles according to Dragon's instructions. Do you think they are to modern for the Mig-21 F-13?

There is variability among the missiles of the AA_2 family, just like with Sidewinders. Check out the picture on this page:

http://www.military.cz/russia/air/weapons/...s/aam/r3/r3.htm

You want something like the top one. I think you can get it easily by just cutting down the existing fins.

So... I could use the Dragon missiles, but need to reshape the front fins?

Yeah, just cut along this line:

trime.jpg

And what about the weathering? ->

Whatever you think looks good. MiG-21's do tend to leak oil on the bottom, so you might want to look for pictures to see what that looks like.

Who can post some pictures of the weathering possible on Mig-21 F-13?

I think it depends on the country. Czechoslovakia and Finland kept their F-13s for a long time but the other countries didn't (they switched to the PF version since the F-13 was only a daylight fighter) so weathering would be light on these.

Progress of today:

I had to spray some parts with Alclad.

I painted the canopy antenna and had to respray the ends of those two little fins/antennas at the side of the exhaust, because I forgot to mask those ends when I sprayed the exhaust. But I fixed that now.

I also attached the missile-pylons to the model.

So... next big step will be adding a gloss coat to the model.

Thanks @ Laurent for the advice!

Current state of the model:

DSC00925.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

DSC00927.jpg

DSC00929.jpg

All the things that still need to be attached:

DSC00930.jpg

Edited by Flyingraptor
spejic mentioned that Fishbeds tend to leak oil on the underside of the airframe.

Is there someone that has some pictures of that, or someone that can point me these spots on one of the pictures of my model?

It's tough because there are so few pictures of operational F-13s compared to modern aircraft or even modern MiG-21s, and I don't think you should base you leaks on a MF or bis's leaks because they might be different. Realistically speaking, there is nothing wrong with making you MiG clean, especially because it has a metal finish and it isn't a wartime airplane.

Very nice build and painting. Some things surprise me:

- do you have reference showing a MiG-21 F-13 with dielectric green radome at the fin top ? I don't recall that F-13 had an antenna there

Very common mistake. Early Fishbeds don't have green fin top.

@ spejic: Owkay, thanks for your advice, man!

I'll try to keep the weathering at a realistic level: highlighting the panellines, maybe making some places a bit grubby, but surely not overdoing the weathering.

@ 172flogger: I added a pictures of a Mig-21 F-13 wich has a green di-electric panel. I also followed the Revell instructions, that state that the DDR-planes and Finish-planes do not include this green tip, but the Russian plane does.

Edited by Flyingraptor