Revell's 1/72 Mig-21 F-13 (FINISHED!)

I added a pictures of a Mig-21 F-13 wich has a green di-electric panel

Added to what ?

On the wings? But where exactly?

Leading edges. Near the fence.

Edited by Laurent

I noticed on pictures of Mig-21 F-13's op Airliners.net that there's really not a single one with a green top tailfin...

So I'll try to fix that and paint it alumium.

But that means that the Revell instructions are wrong...

Edited by Flyingraptor
Thanks Laurent, but what do you mean with the fence?

The wall on the upper wings that limits transverse airflow.

Green light on the right wing leading edge of a MiG-21 bis: http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/makaro...sm_11_of_30.jpg The lignts are small so I wouldn't make the effort to represent them.

Edited by Laurent

Thanks again, Laurent, for the advice!

@ Sebastijan: Yeah, you're right, kit manufacturers often make mistakes in their instructions...

I fixed the green di-electric panel on top of the tailfin, sprayed it aluminium, the correct color, this time.

Some pictures:

DSC00932.jpg

DSC00934.jpg

DSC00935.jpg

Edited by Flyingraptor

Yes Laurent, this plane will be a Soviet one. I just like the look of the Red Stars on Russian-manufactured aircraft. :coolio:

All my Russian-manufactured planes carry Soviet/Russian markings. ;)

Today I coated the model with Sols Plus (Future), three light brushed on coats: looks nice 'n' shiny now and it smells nice! :lol:

Don't think I'll have time left today to do the decals... Still have a bunch of work for college: biochemistry... <_<

Edited by Flyingraptor
Today I coated the model with Sols Plus (Future), three light brushed on coats: looks nice 'n' shiny now and it smells nice! :lol:

In France, we have Klir and Sol Plus. Klir is supposed to be a Future equivalent (but it isn't translucide like Future). Have your tried Klir ?

Still have a bunch of work for college: biochemistry... <_<

Aha. You want to become a physician ? a molecular biologist ?

@ HOLMES: Thanks a lot for the comment, man! Such comments keep me going! :)

@ Laurent: I haven't found any Klir yet, in Belgium... Only Sols Plus...

Sols Plus is also not transcludice like Future, it has a creamy/beige color.

I really hate it that we don't have something transcludice as Future...

About my education: I'm studying at the university to become a Biomedical Scientist. So like those men in their white coats that study stem cells and cancer. :taunt: I'm now in my third bachelor year.

I haven't found any Klir yet, in Belgium... Only Sols Plus...

Sols Plus is also not transcludice like Future, it has a creamy/beige color.

I really hate it that we don't have something transcludice as Future...

Ok. Klir is the same colour.

Thanks Azgaron!

Concidering this is the first "real" time I used my airbrush, the first time I've used Alclad II, the first time I've used several masking methods, the first time I've used resin, etc...

I think that I can say that this one is coming together nicely for a "first time for about everything" build! :P

Here's an update, guys!

Not much of a progress really, I just tried to start the decalling, even with the bunch of work I have for school...

Overall view on the decalling-space (my desk, after my schoolwork) :thumbsup: :

DSC00938.jpg

DSC00939.jpg

DSC00940.jpg

DSC00944.jpg

DSC00945.jpg

Used decalsettings: DACO's Medium Decalsetting and Humbrol Decalfix:

DSC00947.jpg

Used reference book (good to look up the exact positions of the red stars:

DSC00946.jpg

Have some question about the decalling-instructions of Revell. Revell says that there need to be two green di-electric panel decals on the underside of the airplane. See decal no. 45 and no. 46. Is this correct?

Does a Mig-21 F-13 really has these two panels in green?

Here's a picture:

DSC00943.jpg

Have another question: what do you guys do to get the decals really stick into the panellines?

DACO's decal setting needs to be put on top of a placed decal, after removin the excess water.

DACO's intructions state that it will pull down the decal onto the model's surface. Will it pull it down into the panel line as well?

I'll check it again within half an hour or so, but they should be pulled down after one hour, right?

But what if that didn't happen? Can I still do something to make them "dive into the panel line"?

I'll check it again within half an hour or so, but they should be pulled down after one hour, right?

But what if that didn't happen? Can I still do something to make them "dive into the panel line"?

You can apply another layer of the setting solution, wait about 30 seconds or so, and go over it with a paintbrush wherever the panel lines are. You have to be gentle so you don't move or tear it, but kit decals are usually thick enough to take a little abuse.

Thanks for the advice, spejic!

Half an hour after I posted my question, I went back to my desk to check if the decals and I noticed that they had been nicely set into the panel lines and that the excess decal film is almost invisible now.

So... : great stuff, that DACO Decal Setting, but you need patience! ;)

But who knows the answer on this question (I already asked it in a previous post...) (check the last picture of that post for the Revell instructions):

Have some question about the decalling-instructions of Revell. Revell says that there need to be two green di-electric panel decals on the underside of the airplane. See decal no. 45 and no. 46. Is this correct?

Does a Mig-21 F-13 really has these two panels in green?

We all love pictures of a work in progress, right?

Even though there's only little progress, I've added some pictures below from the decaling-progress.

@ Sebastijan: Thanks for the info, dude! I've added the green decal that Revell included underside of the nose, but I'll paint the rectangle panel at the back of the underside of the aircraft. The panel is not really a rectangle, it's a rectangle with the corners cut off.

DSC00948.jpg

DSC00950.jpg

DSC00951.jpg

Small update!

I don't have much time for modeling, due to work for university...

I tried to decal a bit every evening, and found some time today to do some minor painting.

I painted the green panel underneath the fuselage and did some touch-up on the landing gear doors and the cockpit.

Comments are very welcome! They keep me going! :)

This thing WILL be finished before the deadline, it just HAS to be finished!

Here are some pictures (because we all love pictures of a build, just admit it! mw_devil-grin.gif):

DSC00953.jpg

DSC00956.jpg

DSC00957.jpg

DSC00960.jpg

DSC00961.jpg

All the bits 'n' pieces that still need to be attached:

DSC00962.jpg

DSC00966.jpg