1:1 Scale References

Any F-8's??

In my link? No.

However, I did find a couple of nice references when I built an F-8 a while back. One is a walkaround here on ARC:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1...non/walk597.htm

Another I found is here (F-8P specifically):

http://frenchnavy.free.fr/aircraft/crusader/walk-around.htm

Got some photos of the real deal to show off, or need to request a close-up for reference? Post away! :thumbsup:

Photos below show actual pictures of aircraft that I will be modelling.

156889VA-195atairshow1970.jpg

A-7E-5-CV Corsair II, 156889 / NH-401 / VA-195 at Farnborough Airshow, 11 September 1970 (Source: www.Airliners.net and taken by Alex Christie).

70-102076TFS23TFWFlyingTigers.jpg

A-7D-6-CV Corsair II, 70-1020, 76th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 23rd Tactical Fighter Wing, on the ramp at England Airforce base (date unknown) with shark teeth and travel pod on outboard wing pylon (Source: A-7 Corsair II in Action, Squadron Signal, Aircraft Number 120, Page 31). Actual aircraft I will be building is 69-6241, however, I was unable to find any pictures of this aircraft during the same timeframe and with the markings depicted in above picture.

Any help with additional photos of these aircraft wearing above markings would be appreciated. :worship:

• 2 weeks later...

RF-8 walkarounds on my Photobucket account:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v26/ishthe47guy/RF-8/

Taken at the Frontiers of Flight Museum, Love Field Airport, Dallas. The aircraft was restored by the Vought Aircraft Retieries Assc.

I've got some more RF-8 pics to upload, including some good shots of the underwing area with the wing removed, plus an A-7 walkaround. I'm in travel mode right now, & I'll be home Thursday afternoon with my high speed internet & all that.

Edited by Ishthe47guy
RF-8 walkarounds on my Photobucket account:

Taken at the Frontiers of Flight Museum, Love Field Airport, Dallas. The aircraft was restored by the Vought Aircraft Retieries Assc.

I've got some more RF-8 pics to upload, including some good shots of the underwing area with the wing removed, plus an A-7 walkaround. I'm in travel mode right now, & I'll be home Thursday afternoon with my high speed internet & all that.

Anything you've got on A7 wheel wells would be really helpful right now.

Thanks

Ian

Anything you've got on A7 wheel wells would be really helpful right now.

Thanks

Ian

Take a look here. This site has a ton of walkarounds, has come in handy a lot of times. http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/a-7_corsair.htm

This is the aircraft main page, have fun!! http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/airstrip.htm

On the ARC main page look for the walkaround section as well. Lots of good stuff there, too.

Don

Finally got around to uploading some of my A-7 & F-8 photos.

A-7 pics : http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v26/isht...avy%20Jets/A-7/

Some good MLG bay shots in there.

I added some more pics to my RF-8 album, specifically the underwing area. From what I've been able to gather, there wasn't any real noticable differences between the underwing details between the different F-8 versions.

Ish/Don

Thanks to you both for the A-7 MLG bay links and photos. I'm determined to clear the molded bays on my 1/48 Hase A-7D and scratchbuild detail but I do have a sense of trepidation! Take a deep breath .....

References are great though. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

Hi guys,

I'm currently busy building an F-8C from VF-84. I must admid I have some trouble finding decent nose wheel bay pic on the net.

Most pics I've found are taken from A/C currently in museums, probably after they've been fully restored and repainted.

Resulting in cristal clear "white" wheel bays without any sort of data plates or color in them. The pics from the Squadron walkaround show in fact some more different colours used but then their pics are in black & white...

I assume fleet bird were not that white.

Is there anybody that has color pics from the wheelbays or links to them?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings

Rick

Edited by Rick De Smet

Hi Julien,

I'm building the 1/32 Trumpeter kit, with the Fisher conversion, Aires exhaust, F-8E cockpit and wheelbays.

So far everything goes quite according to plan with no huge problems. The nose fits pretty good and I can still use the aires kits on the F-8C conversion.

Altough the F-8E cockpit needs some rework into an early F-8C cockpit. The wheelbays on the other hand helped me a lot as it seem that Aires used the early crusaders as a master so they're in fact good for the F-8A till F-8D. You can easely see the difference if you look at the accumulators, the early version had them mounted in the aft wheelbay ( and they are mounted there in the aires kit ). The later version had the accumulators moved to the speedbrake bay.

As for the color of the bays, I'm going to use my inspiration on the front bay I think.

Goodluck on your project!

Greetings

Rick

Anybody know about flaps and ailerons? The 1:48 Hasegawa I'll be building comes with options to droop leading and trailing edge flaps, as well as ailerons.

I'm thinking of drooping all of them - my model will represent one that has been shut down for a long while on ground.

Anybody know how they were typically left when shut down? Did the flaps and ailerons bleed down as they appear to on some refs? If so, how much?

Related question, how about access panels and speed brakes? I tend to button these all up, because I don't like to detail these areas (preferring to have a more "ready to fly" appearance from my models).

Thanks!

ALF

Anybody know about flaps and ailerons? The 1:48 Hasegawa I'll be building comes with options to droop leading and trailing edge flaps, as well as ailerons.

I'm thinking of drooping all of them - my model will represent one that has been shut down for a long while on ground.

Anybody know how they were typically left when shut down? Did the flaps and ailerons bleed down as they appear to on some refs? If so, how much?

Related question, how about access panels and speed brakes? I tend to button these all up, because I don't like to detail these areas (preferring to have a more "ready to fly" appearance from my models).

Thanks!

ALF

If you are doing a Navy A-7 then you would want to keep the flap/slats and ailerons up. 99% of the time we would keep them up, the only thing that would be down would be the flaps and slats, never the ailerons.

As for the speed break, it would bleed down about four to six inches, not enought to see the inside of the speed brake well. For panels, the port and starboard avionic bays where open just about all the time unless the bird was buttoned up for the night. The Lox bay may be open but not usually, same with the RAT. Also, if you have the canopy open there would be a nylon strap on the right side keeping it from being opening all the way, it was use to keep the canopy from being blown too far open and breaking the hinges.

HTH

Reddog :jaw-dropping:

If you are doing a Navy A-7 then you would want to keep the flap/slats and ailerons up. 99% of the time we would keep them up, the only thing that would be down would be the flaps and slats, never the ailerons.

As for the speed break, it would bleed down about four to six inches, not enought to see the inside of the speed brake well. For panels, the port and starboard avionic bays where open just about all the time unless the bird was buttoned up for the night. The Lox bay may be open but not usually, same with the RAT. Also, if you have the canopy open there would be a nylon strap on the right side keeping it from being opening all the way, it was use to keep the canopy from being blown too far open and breaking the hinges.

HTH

Reddog :)

Thanks Reddog

Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. If I understand correctly, the wings should also probably be folded? I imagine that they remained folded until engine had been started and launch was imminent? Were the wings almost always folded on deck and/or below?

Thanks!

ALF

HTH

Reddog :unsure:

Does anybody have this sort of information for an ANG A-7D, please?