Mind if I ask something?

I was very pleasantly surprised during my latest trip to the LHS. The models section as almost literally overflowing with aircraft, among them several 1:72 RoG jets. the choices I was considering for postwar turbine-power were:

F-14D---$29.98

F/A-18E---$19.98

F-22---$22.98

Can someone please explain to me why an older tool is up to 50% more expensive than a couple of much more recent toolings? the Delta doesn't even come with much for ordinance, just AAMs, so why the bigger price? Simply plastic volume? It was the 'last cruise' boxing though.

On a more positive note, I resoundly support the priase for RoG's new Rhino kit. Very nice. Also got the Me 262B (the one with radar) and an Academy Komet. (again, very nice kit, comes with tow tractor)

My first guess would be the relative complexity of the F-14. More parts means more tooling means a higher price, even years after the mould was first cut. However, whether those were Revell's prices or the shop's is anyone guess, so I'd ask the owner first.

I'll bet it was still cheaper than a Hasegawa F-14, though. But then, there's gold that's cheaper than Hasegawa F-14s...

It might pay to look at which Revell company is producing the kits; Revell USA are bound to be less than Revell Germany (in the U.S., anyway,) since they're separate companies. The price structure will probably reverse in Europe.

Edgar

The price structure will probably reverse in Europe.

Yup. The US boxings of RoG's 1/72nd Fw 190A-8 and Bf 109G-10 were typically about four, five times as expensive as their local brethren.

Cheers.

Andre

Revell's recommended retail prices here in Germany for these kits are as follows:

F/A-18E 17.99 EUR

F-22A 17.99 EUR

F-14D 15.99 EUR (current "Last Flight" boxing)

So it's probably just the retailer.

But maybe they work with a main importer in each country? Like Hasegawa, they work like this, so until the kit hits the shelves in the LHS, it has been 'bought' at least two times, which increases the price also...

Greetings