eurocopter as 350 in oils .. w.i.p. !!

a couple of areas i am not entirely happy with notably the tree on the right it has a lot that looks wrong so i will alter it !!

also next to this tree there is a patch that i have either underworked or over worked ( unsure wich but it will be looked at )

other than that i'm happy and will now gradualy add background details

then start work on the heli !!

but i generaly find that making the background either paler or more out of focus etc gives the main subject a little more impact !!

eurooil002.jpg

Very nice! Lots of good texture going on there!

The center tree looks excellent! I think the trees on the left side need a tad more dark underlying then some more bright green on top of that, in that order. That will help match the center tree that looks perfect.

For the liquid mask that you used, does that peel off easily in one piece? Never used that before, but may look into it for small areas that I need to cover up from time to time.

For the liquid mask that you used, does that peel off easily in one piece? Never used that before, but may look into it for small areas that I need to cover up from time to time.

once the paint is dry it rubs or peels off the trick is don't apply it too thinly or it is a little harder to remove !!

Edited by tornado64

it is now complete and ready for varnish . i have a spray can somewhere with just enough in

( the trick is finding it again !! )

it still looks a lot better to the naked eye , tried my nikon dslr this time in daylight ( still doesn't do it justice )

once the varnish is dry it can be presented to its pilot the next time he comes in , it will then make its way to the isle of man where they reside !!

euoil005.jpg

Looks great! Don't forget a shadow on the ground for the helicopter though!! That will set how high off the ground it is.

I can't believe how fast you banged this one out. Did you use the heater or heater vent trick to speed drying time? Or liquin?

there's no shadow on the ground in the original photo so unsure wether it would bennefit or not understand putting shadow on if it was on the ground to obviously form the fact something is standing firmly on the ground

or a detatched shadow if it is reasonably close to the ground but on the day taken it was dullish with practicaly little shadow cast

so remain unsure wether to leave as is or possibly overwork it as it is only a small canvas

i resorted to placing on top of my central heating radiators for spells that speeded things up but think i will try liquin out !!

there's no shadow on the ground in the original photo so unsure wether it would bennefit or not understand putting shadow on if it was on the ground to obviously form the fact something is standing firmly on the ground

or a detatched shadow if it is reasonably close to the ground but on the day taken it was dullish with practicaly little shadow cast

so remain unsure wether to leave as is or possibly overwork it as it is only a small canvas

i resorted to placing on top of my central heating radiators for spells that speeded things up but think i will try liquin out !!

That's true. It wouldn't have to be a sharp edged shadow, or even very dark. Just a slight indication of the shadow would do it... much like the shadow from the center tree. Don't be precise since it's off the ground with following body lines etc... just an indication... ever so slightly. It will also give the painting more depth. But it's up to you, of course!

Edited by Darrell White
That's true. It wouldn't have to be a sharp edged shadow, or even very dark. Just a slight indication of the shadow would do it... much like the shadow from the center tree. Don't be precise since it's off the ground with following body lines etc... just an indication... ever so slightly. It will also give the painting more depth. But it's up to you, of course!

true will probably try a very light wash to hint at one !!

tornado64,

It looks good so far :salute: . You might try loading the image into a program like Photoshop and turning it into grayscale. That'll give you a good idea of the range of values that you're using. You can also try different ideas on the image without having to commit them to canvas. That makes it easier to find exactly the right combination of shadows and highlights to make your helo pop right out of the canvas.

tornado64,

It looks good so far :salute: . You might try loading the image into a program like Photoshop and turning it into grayscale. That'll give you a good idea of the range of values that you're using. You can also try different ideas on the image without having to commit them to canvas. That makes it easier to find exactly the right combination of shadows and highlights to make your helo pop right out of the canvas.

cool idea felix i see some underpaintings done in mono but i can't get my head / eyes around it !! guess it works for some but to me it just doesn't compute !! i just can't get my head around it !!

i gues it comes from years of photography and seing either black and white or colour i fully understand the principal you are getting at and wish i could see it that way

unfortunately my eyes / brain won't let me !!

hopefully in the future it will come but untill it does i wiil have to get along by eye

your sabres look like they'll be fantastic can't wait to see yor work progress looked the base up on the web there was some fantastic urban exploring photography taken just before demolition of the main buildings !!