Hasegawa 1/72 F-4J Phantom II

Thanks a lot, fellas! If you think it's better than the kit part, I've achieved my goal.

I think you might be the first to do 'Ship in a Bottle' intakes on an F-4 !

Gregg, that's actually not very far from the truth. It really felt like that. :D

errr, how could I miss thsi thread, which has been going on for more than a month?!?!?!?

Great work Jan so far, the intakes look really great - might copy your idea when I'll start on my IRIAF F-4E.

Oh and we are both working now on gull grey/white Navy bird :D

<....>

Gregg, that's actually not very far from the truth. It really felt like that. :monkeydance:

That was the first thought that crossed my mind when I read your construction process for the intakes ...

"Jan's making two ships in a bottle ..."

They came out really nice ... Bravo !

Gregg

• 1 month later...

With the rudder now painted all the white parts on the fuselage are done. The rest of the fuselage is pretty ready for the paint shop as well. Added were the RHAW antennas on the intakes and the scratch-built navigation light on the vertical tail. The light needs some further polishing and transparent red on it.

P1090352.jpg

P1090353.jpg

P1090355.jpg

P1090355.jpg

Jan,

Could you explain how you did the light? I'm working on a couple of Phantoms in 1/48, and I really like how you pulled it off. Maybe I could try it on mine, but I'd like to know how it was done.

Thanks!

-O

Could you explain how you did the light?

I just made a small groove on to the tail leading edge with a hobby knife, took a roughly shaped piece of scrap clear sprue and glued it in place. After the glue had dried, I shaped the light according to the leading edge with a knife and sand paper and finally polished it with Micromesh pads.

Looks good Jan. Figured out which squadron yet? Not sure if it has been mentioned, but check your references on whether the J you'll end up doing has the additional ESM/ECM (not sure which) bumps under the intake and under the wings.

later

Ruud

Edited by Ruud
Looks good Jan. Figured out which squadron yet? Not sure if it has been mentioned, but check your references on whether the J you'll end up doing has the additional ESM/ECM (not sure which) bumps under the intake and under the wings.

later

Ruud

Ruud, this will most probably carry VF-11 CAG bird markings. Thanks for the tip!

Finally I managed to get some light gull gray on top of this bird. I started with quite diluted paint and will add more thin layers and do some light sanding where needed until I reach a good coverage.

P1090371.jpg

P1090370.jpg

P1090373.jpg

Phantom after two coats of WEM Light Gull Gray.

Excellent paint which works very well with paint brush if diluted to a consistency of fat free milk and applied with a good flat brush in several layers. One trick I use is to paint one large panel or two or three smaller ones individually (especially when applying the second coat) and always start and end the (longitudinal) brush stroke precisely at a crosswise panel line, never in the middle of a panel. This, with the quite diluted paint, minimizes any visible brush strokes.

Some individual panels still need to be painted since it seems I missed them in the second round. The nose and the front area of the windscreen were painted with black. I've just futured the transparencies and after they are dry I will start masking them. There will be a red trim covering the lower parts of the canopies and going around the turtle neck behind the canopies.

P1090416.jpg

P1090414.jpg

P1090415.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The red was changed to Insignia Red, which in my opinion should work better. Also the canopies were fixed and now the fit is almost perfect - even after I added the PE canopy frames. The windscreen didn't receive one since there just wasn't enough space. While writing this, the Phantom is waiting for the first coat of future to be cured. It was applied after the photo was taken. Tomorrow I'll add another coat.

P1090459.jpg

The seats are almost ready. Just a some minor details still missing.

P1090465.jpg

P1090462.jpg