Hasegawa 1/72 F-4J Phantom II

Very nice and even coat! Do you apply it with a brush as well?

Always with a brush. I guess it has to be stated once again that I do not have airbrush of any kind. :D

Since Future (or whatever it's called in country X) is self-levelling, it goes on very nicely with a brush. The amount just has to be correct. Too dry a brush and you'll might get brush marks and if you apply too much, you'll get puddles on the surface. Naturally it all depends on the paint finish as well and that's why I did some sanding in order to get rid off of any bigger imperfections.

Always with a brush. I guess it has to be stated once again that I do not have airbrush of any kind. :D

Since Future (or whatever it's called in country X) is self-levelling, it goes on very nicely with a brush. The amount just has to be correct. Too dry a brush and you'll might get brush marks and if you apply too much, you'll get puddles on the surface. Naturally it all depends on the paint finish as well and that's why I did some sanding in order to get rid off of any bigger imperfections.

Intriguing, (the airbrush dysfunction I knew about).

However I sometimes have a bit of trouble getting even coats of Future with my AB...it´s sort of like satine. and then I put on too much and it forms puddles.

Mebbe I should try a brush :D

how do you paint so well w/o an airbrush?

it looks so clean and crisp the finish....brilliant!

Thank you!

There's no magic in getting a smooth surface with a brush. And I quote myself:

Excellent paint [WEM] which works very well with paint brush if diluted to a consistency of fat free milk and applied with a good flat brush in several layers. One trick I use is to paint one large panel or two or three smaller ones individually (especially when applying the second coat) and always start and end the (longitudinal) brush stroke precisely at a crosswise panel line, never in the middle of a panel. This, with the quite diluted paint, minimizes any visible brush strokes
:D

I had seen the scoops with the black paint on the nose and thought you might have missed the antennas ...

Gregg

Good point, but I have them covered. :P The way I paint doesn't always seem very logical!

If u can paint so well w/o and airbrush then seriously who needs an airbrush!

and it saves u from the nasty fumes.....

once again great!

If you're not a big fan of pre-shading and avoid models with camos that have soft edges between different colours*, then I must argue that one really doesn't need an airbrush. When I need to paint larger white or metal coloured areas, I use Tamiya sprays and for final coats flat/semiflat Mr. Topcoat sprays.

*) I remember that not so long ago we actually had a post about a guy who had done an excellet looking (1/32) jet fighter with weathered soft edge camo. So it is possible with plain paint brush as well. Shame I don't remember what was the type of the aircraft. Even harder is to find the article itself...

Getting more colour.

The port side is almost decaled now apart from the CAG colours on the rudder and some stencils on the mid fuselage. I have Microscale's F-4 stencil sheet but since the instructions are as vague as the usually are on Microscale sheets, I have some difficulties in finding exact locations for individual stencils. On the other hand, my bird being from the mid '70s, many of the original stencils had probably faded away or were painted over many times.

P1090474.jpg