Hasegawa 1/72 F-4J Phantom II

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely looking forward to more of your progress, janman. It's been a very enjoyable thread so far and I'm sure the next steps will be just as good. Great choice of colour scheme, by the way; any CVW-17 unit is alright by me.......

Cheers,

Andrew.

Thank you, Andrew!

I'm not happy with the Future finish on the wings, so I haven't decaled them yet. Otherwise everything is done and futured over, on the ventral side even the panel lines are done. At the moment I'm dabbling with the metal panels on the exhaust area.

P1090543.jpg

I had some trouble with the decals, which disintegrated easily. Unfortunately it can be seen on rudder's CAG colours as well, where every single colour stripe separated from each other... That's why they aren't perfectly in line. I didn't repeat that mistake on the other side but applied some Humbrol gloss coat on the rest of the decals.

P1090544.jpg

The ventral side still needs some missiles, a drop tank plus all the detail parts, some of which are already finished and waiting for the final assembly.

P1090546.jpg

Phils washes really rule!

To tell you the truth, I hadn't use Promodeler wash on my two previous builds (mainly for the reasons we talked about when you visited Finland). Now I used it after applying a future coat on top of the gloss white and everything went very smoothly! For the topside I'll probably be using oils.

Today I weathered the exhaust area. I'll post some photos tomorrow so you guys can tell me whether I overdid it.

well to tell you the truth, I discovered that if you are after a dirty look (modern TPS for example) they work very well on flat surface as well.

Looking forward for the pics

Hmm... That's something I haven't even thought about. Have to try that on my F-14D (or on an Acad D Bug for that matter) one day. I'm very scared to do a dirty TPS scheme with a brush but Flory wash might be part of the answer.