Hasegawa 1/48 F-8D Crusader

Getting there. All fuselage components (wheel wells, speedbrake, intake, cockpit) now installed, fuselage halves joined and seam clean-up and rescribing underway. Modified the exhaust area so I can fit the Aires exhaust last after everything is painted. Wing centre section is now fitted, but need to add control surfaces (the folded outer wings will get added after painting). I have modified/improved the Cutting Edge radome shape and re-attached to the fuselage (my joy has been returned intact :cheers: ). Puttied and sanded over the second ACM vent as per Superheat's suggestion (thanks for the save) for the Delta.

Will post some pics later tonight once the kids are in bed.

Finally got some pics of progress, so here goes.

Tail section with Aires scoops. Fitted ventral fins and wing inner flaps. Little bit of tidy up yet to do. Added a wedge of card and smoothed with CA and sanding where the rear fuselage halves got sanded while fixing the overly thick rudder (thin white wedge area behind the rudder)

8.jpg

Aires gear bays and Cutting Edge speed brake fitted. Lower fuselage rescribed. Some Mr Surfacer needed along the leading edge flaps.

9.jpg

Aires exhaust with Alclad Jet Exhaust sprayed on - needs weathering and toning down now

10.jpg

Cutting Edge seat assembled and ready for paint

11.jpg

Nose gear ready for paint. Drilled out the lightening holes, added tread to the tire (bit hard to see in this pic), removed the control horns and added a couple of punched discs for bolts for interest.

12.jpg

Couple of pics of the cokpit, nose area. Still have to finish painting the cokpit. This shows the corrected radome shape and the radome refitted. Lot of work to correct the "correction" and get it joined and radome shaped. Tha gap in front of the cockpit is to add nose weight if needed (will test once on landing gear and tailpipe fitted), and to fit the Aires instrument panel and coaming.

13.jpg

14.jpg

Finally a shot of the wing fitting at the forward end. Took a lot of CA and sanding with 180 grit sandpaper to get the right shape and everything faired in. Needs a rescribe to finish off. I also filled the rear ACS slot with Tamiya putty and sanded smooth. As well as sanding the fuselage/wing join, this also needed a Dremel and more sanding to get the inner wing shape of the Cutting Edge insert to match the profile of the kit leading edge slats.

15.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly taking shape. Nose section assembly done and radome in place. Built up a styrene sheet base to fit under and support the Aires coaming and IP. Cutting Edge early scope and Aires etched gunsight glass brackets added also.

16.jpg

Cutting Edge seat assembled and base coated black ready for painting.

17.jpg

Base colours all finished on the cockpit - now needs detail painting and weathering. Have also fitted the under canopy framing as this aircraft will have the canopy closed.

18.jpg

Main gear installed. Wheels are still loose for painting. Lots of seam tidy up needed, including under the wings where they join the fuselage.

19.jpg

Finished wings and upper fuselage showing all control surfaces fitted (after much needed thinning).

20.jpg

Nose gear bay ready for paint (needs doors fitted) and under fuselage scribing done. Nose gear is pushed into place temporarily to test for fit and alignment.

21.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice build so far, I've picked up a few things I'll be adding to my F-8E build.

Here's a teaser, some parts that showed up at our last Model Club meeting.

Curt

101_2151.jpg

101_2154.jpg

Nice build so far, I've picked up a few things I'll be adding to my F-8E build.

Here's a teaser, some parts that showed up at our last Model Club meeting.

Curt

101_2151.jpg

101_2154.jpg

Sweet Curt!! I smell a new product coming!! :lol:

Well done

Mike