Prop Canopy Masking

I have a Has 1/32 Bf109 ready to paint. I have 2 questions as I have never attached or masked a canopy before:

1. What type of glue should be used to attach the canopy parts to the fuselage cockpit opening?

2. I have Tamiya tape in all 3 sizes but I don't know how to go about masking the canopy. There are so many framed little windows on this kits canopy. I have a spare Bf109 canopy and I put the largest size Tamiya tape over a window panel, used a toothpick to frame out the window and used a fresh blade to cut, but it would not cut straight against the window frame and it scratched the canopy underneath the tape. It is so hard not to use too much pressure but enough to cut the tape. Am I doing this the wrong way? Is there any easier way someone can suggest using Tamiya tape?

If anyone has a link to an on-line article on how to mask prop canopies with using Tamiya tape I would really appreciate that link.

I am be off a ways but what I do for gluing canopies to fuselages is just plain old Elmers Glue.

I have heard/read many ways to mask canopies. My first choice is a masking set! Many times that is how I determine what model to do/buy next. I look to see if there is a masking set offered for it then I go find the model corresponding to the masking kit. I use a masking set for my CH-53E. That is where I got my first taste of a masking set. It worked out GREAT and makes masking MUCH, MUCH easier! It and maybe any masking set requires a liquid masking agent. It seems like Elmers glue but I didn't know that. I bought it a couple years ago and its quantity hasn't seemed to change any. It is still up into the neck of the bottle. Maybe it will go bad one day IDK. If a masking set is not available I use tape (painter's or "detacked" masking tape). By "detacked" I mean sticking it to your pants (or whatever) once then pealing it off. I use the straight edge from the masking tape put up against the edge of the "rail" of the canopy. I repeat that all the way around and then fill in the center with the liquid masking agent.

That is just how I do it...lately. If there, which I am sure there are, are better ways to do it I would like to hear/read them too.

If anyone has a link to an on-line article on how to mask prop canopies with using Tamiya tape I would really appreciate that link.

I wish I would have read all of your post the first time. I was just excited to be able to put my input in! Have you looked at the "Tools and Tips" section (not of this forum) on the original (home?) page of ARC? If not, that is a good place to look or start/

Plain old Elmer's glue (or any other PVA glue works just fine to attach the canopy. Always a safe bet.

When masking with Tamiya tape, there are a couple of ways that I do it. 1) Apply a large piece of tape over an area of the canopy, burnish the tape down with your fingernail, rounded toothpick, etc. Then using a brand new (no exceptions here!) hobby knife blade and a good, strong light source, cut out the frame portions, leaving the windows masked. 2) Lay out some Tamiya tape on a cutting surface and using a straight edge, cut out many strips of tape and apply to each edge of the canopy framing individuallly. Then you can fill in any spaces with roughly cut tape peices.

If you are unsure of your knife skills, use #2. It will take a bit longer, but it will be done correctly and you won't risk slipping and putting a cut mark across your canopy.

This is actually a good first canopy to mask as it is relatively large and has many right angles and straight edges.

Good Luck!

Shawn

You can see how I use tape to mask canopies here

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1...7-Shred/00.shtm

See the pictures at the bottom of the article. You can download the the PDF version of it from the "pinned" posts area in General Discussions. It has the pictures inserted throughout the copy so its easier to follow. I use Tamiya Thin to attach them, the advantage is Tamiya will melt the plastic for a better fit and will not fog the plastic either.

I wrote this before altough not my idea but it works perfect for masking. I read it I believe here and since than after testing oin an old model found out it eworks perfect and away went the masking with tape.

I do the folowing

I mix white glue and ordinary dish washing soap. I mix 1 on 1, aply with an fine brush along the canopy frames. Once round I just fill the area and let it dry for some time, useualy an day or so. The white glue hardens, and the soap makes it to stay inpalce. So no shrinking of the white glue, which it will do if not mixed with the soap.

Give it an try!!

During my A-7E build I did a photo doc on how I use tamiya masking tape for the masking of canopies...

Look at the bottom of this page to see the start and the rest is on the following page...

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....58768&st=60

Good luck.

-Greg

Greg, that is a clever technique. How exactly do you trace the outline?

Stacey

I mix white glue and ordinary dish washing soap. I mix 1 on 1, aply with an fine brush along the canopy frames. Once round I just fill the area and let it dry for some time, useualy an day or so. The white glue hardens, and the soap makes it to stay inpalce. So no shrinking of the white glue, which it will do if not mixed with the soap.

Give it an try!!

Hi, Eric2020.

Does your technique work both with enamels and acrylics? I mean: does the "white glue-dish soap mix" resist to both thinners? Thanks.

Regards

Euge