Aviation and motorsports art

Hello everyone. I just introduced myself and gave the basic story of my art work, so thought I would attach a few here with a basic description. I do aviation paintings and also motorsports paintings. I offer limited edition reproductions and do commissions for originals pieces. I'm gunning for the level of William Phillips, Stokes, West and others that I really admire.

First up is the F4, which is in progress. Doing it in collaboration with John Cummings (the RIO at the time of the dogfights) along with Trip Trey VMFA-333. The painting is going to a museum in Texas next May for an unveiling during the Marine Aviation Symposium. Oil on canvas, size is 36" x 48" (3 x 4 foot). Background is done, next up is detailing the F4. Thanks again Mark for the reference photos! This is my most anticipated piece so far.

Well, scratch that. It won't let me link to the pics on my site and I don't want to throw the images on a host site. Is there a way where i can attach and upload directly from my PC?

Ok, I'm temporarily hosting them on flickr for the time being just to show. I'll be taking them down after a while. Here's the F4J in it's current state. The background isn't "pretty" or "majestic" as it's exactly how the setting was described to me to be historically accurate during the dogfights.

Have some vapor trails bleeding off the wingtips and an Aim-9 sidewinder tracking into the engine of the MiG-21. Took 7 missles to bring that MiG down. Some didn't track and others had malfunctions of detonating right after leaving the pillon and underbelly.

4081994212_fb9778d2b3_o.jpg

And the last one I'll post is 1 of 5 that I did for the Carroll Shelby Childrens Foundation. This is Ken Miles' 1965 GT350R that won on Feb. 14th 1965 at Green Valley Raceway. One of the last Prismacolor pencil art pieces I ever did before moving to oil paintings. Size is 20" x 30" on 1/8" illustration board.

4082016556_3cfa1ed8ca_o.jpg

WOW! these are awesome dude. i love the action you show. colors are spot on. and i really like hornet silouettes. i don't think i've seen many do silouettes, it's very dramatic. great sky and just the right amount of detail highlights on the planes. outstanding work. inspirational!

keep em coming!

Bill

just saw the mustang. perfect (of course i'm biased when it comes to mustangs) when you were doing prisma colors, did you use the blending/melting technique or just straight drawing? i've yet to accomplish that smooth of color blends but i haven't tried lighter fluid like i've heard some use.

Edited by niart17
WOW! these are awesome dude. i love the action you show. colors are spot on. and i really like hornet silouettes. i don't think i've seen many do silouettes, it's very dramatic. great sky and just the right amount of detail highlights on the planes. outstanding work. inspirational!

keep em coming!

Bill

just saw the mustang. perfect (of course i'm biased when it comes to mustangs) when you were doing prisma colors, did you use the blending/melting technique or just straight drawing? i've yet to accomplish that smooth of color blends but i haven't tried lighter fluid like i've heard some use.

Thank you! For the 18's, being my first oil from doing pencil for so long, I wanted something basic to get a feel for oils, hence the silhouettes and the blinding rising sun to prevent me from showing serious detail.

For the prismacolor pencils, I used 2 tricks for blending. One was the colorless blender... which worked just ok. The best blender was using the prismacolor white pencil. You really want to bear down on it thus getting rid of pencil streaks and also lightening the colors at the same time. You can also use rubbing alcohol too, but I found better results using the colorless blenders and a plain white pencil. Oh, just remembered...you can also use a dry erase bag, like the drafting type with the eraser bits inside. Sprinkle some onto the drawing then wipe it down with medium pressure. This helps blend too.

To get rich colors throughout, you want to really bear down on the pencil and really work it in.

I originally got my start doing bikes, as I race on an amature level road racing, and then my love of aviation and classic cars followed. The bike above will be the last one for a looong time. Too much detail and time invested and it's keeping me from doing others.

i'd never had much luck with the colorless blender. too waxy. i do like using white and tissue paper to "buff" the blends. i got decent results with that. one of the fantasy guys talks about using tissue lightly dabbed in lighter fluid. sounds good i just haven't tried it. i rarely get time to even draw much less experiment with new stuff lately. look forward to seeing more.

Bill

Edited by niart17

Thanks Bill. Yeah, the tissue works well, but I gave it up and had better results with the white pencil. Same with the colorless blender, it works, but not great. Another key is if drawing on sheet paper is to do it on a sheet of glass. perfectly smooth and allows for uniform pressure, which results in even color laydown.

The prismacolors are really great. I learned an awful lot from them in the way of shadows/highlights and control. This all transferred into oils as well. A famous current artist told me "oil is king" but was reluctant to get into it because of the difficulty, so many different techniques, so many mediums and chemical additives that each do something different...it was very confusing. Now I'll never look back. You're able to get a level of realism, blending, glazings - all kinds of stuff - that can't be gotten with anything else. I'd encourage anyone to give it a try.

Thanks guys! I have a whole list of paintings I want to do. Next up after these two are done is a Blue Angels painting. I'm friends with one of the former slot pilots, so he's been helping out in that regards. You get to meet some really great people that you otherwise wouldn't meet by doing this stuff!

Gregg, I see you're in Salem... I'm in St. Louis, not far away!

Also, been enjoying looking at all of the build threads in progress. Some amazing work going on there. Lots of detail and customization! Unreal!!

Hey cool, Darrell, I get up to St. Louis from time to time ...

Ya know, looking at the Shelby Mustang reminds me of my old high school shop teacher's GT-350, it looked just like that, fully raced out with roll cage, etc ... Wasn't street legal ... He would race it out at Willow Springs Raceway in California ...

Gregg

Hey cool, Darrell, I get up to St. Louis from time to time ...

Ya know, looking at the Shelby Mustang reminds me of my old high school shop teacher's GT-350, it looked just like that, fully raced out with roll cage, etc ... Wasn't street legal ... He would race it out at Willow Springs Raceway in California ...

Gregg

yeah that's what my friends was like , he's a brilliant race tuner he fully upgraded the stang shaving a bit off here polishing there , adding parts etc etc

he is presently working on an ultima gtr , he's taken an american v8 out of it and is replacing it with a ferrari enzo engine , well not entirely true it is the masserati version , but the enzo uses the masserati engine with new rocker covers !!

Darrell... truly spectacular! Do you have a website with all your works and can we purchase prints?

-Greg

Thanks Greg! Yes, where are my manners... website is www.darrellwhite.us

Only have a few aviation pieces on there so far, one is the F/A-18E Super Hornets above titled: "Hornet's Sting" and a Lockheed P2V-7 Neptune "Sub Hunter". If it says "prints not available yet" that just means it's a relatively new one that hasn't been professionally photographed yet for prints. But that can be done easily enough if anyone would like one. Will also give you guys price discounts also!

There's only 2 in the WIP section, but have more going that just haven't made it there yet. The bike piece pictured above is hogging all of my time since I'm on a tight deadline for it.

hows work progressing darrell ?? news just broken here is that jenson button will be joining lewis hamilton at mcclaren next year giving a completely british team

so my planning is starting here have to wait for next years cars / overalls though

hows work progressing darrell ?? news just broken here is that jenson button will be joining lewis hamilton at mcclaren next year giving a completely british team

so my planning is starting here have to wait for next years cars / overalls though

Good, thanks. The other day I finished that bike, finally! When I posted that pic here, it was even a few weeks old at that time. Now, the other bike behind (Noriyuki Haga) has already been started and it getting there. Still hoping to get it done by early December because I have quite a few people that want prints already, which is great news! The other reason being is that I'm sick of looking at it!! Been 4 solid months now, everyday, 8 hours each day on average. It's almost 6am here and I'm just about off to bed finally... wanted to get to a stopping point for the day.

I heard that one one of my bike forums the other day about the McLaren team. That's pretty cool! The other day you mentioned that helicopter pilot living on the isle of man... have you ever been there for the Isle Of Man TT bike races? I do track days/race bikes too, but holy hell, that is some serious stuff on that course. Something like 25 miles long and super high speeds on city/country street. No thanks!!

Good, thanks. The other day I finished that bike, finally! When I posted that pic here, it was even a few weeks old at that time. Now, the other bike behind (Noriyuki Haga) has already been started and it getting there. Still hoping to get it done by early December because I have quite a few people that want prints already, which is great news! The other reason being is that I'm sick of looking at it!! Been 4 solid months now, everyday, 8 hours each day on average. It's almost 6am here and I'm just about off to bed finally... wanted to get to a stopping point for the day.

I heard that one one of my bike forums the other day about the McLaren team. That's pretty cool! The other day you mentioned that helicopter pilot living on the isle of man... have you ever been there for the Isle Of Man TT bike races? I do track days/race bikes too, but holy hell, that is some serious stuff on that course. Something like 25 miles long and super high speeds on city/country street. No thanks!!

been to the isle of man , but unfortunately not during tt week as an ex biker i love bikes but as i get older i hate seing nice things broken and injury and if they come off / missjudge on the isle of man well stone walls and corners of buildings are very unforgiving !! ( the reason the tt has a high death toll )

although if you ever get chance it is a gorgeous place and the lake district is within easy travelling distance !!