windows, filled or not?

fill the windows or not  

54 members have voted

1. 1. do you fill the windows?

• yes
    • no
    • other

On 1/144 or smaller models with modern type small cabin windows, I fill them. I've never seen a method of leaving them clear that looked accurate to my eye. On bigger models (such as a 1/72 DC-6 for instance) I tend to leave them clear.

But it's purely a matter of personal choice.

J

I am a 1/144 builder and I usually left them clear.

In my opinion, they look better and more realistic than windows decals.

But as Jennings said, is personal choice.

Edited by Fischer

It really depends on the model.

On my Il-96M, the windows were very poor, so I had to fill them in. With the A380, there are so many that decals might be easier. On the RJ85, however, they are open (mostly due to the fact that I built it nearly 10 years ago).

A layer fo cellophane tape is then used to cover the windows from the outside and pushed down to seal very well. I think poor a clear two-part resin in from the outside and let it cure

Hi, ESzczesniak,

just to be sure I have right understood:

you lay down the tape outside the fuselage and then you pour the resin from inside, I guess. And this is done before gluing the halves together, isn't it?

What confidence have you that the "die cutter" has the proper shape and size? And how do you line up all masks in the proper position?

Could you post some photos of the final result? I'm very interested in this technique for a future project. Thanks.

Regards

Euge

You're right, ESzcesniak; nothing wrong with a lot of work!

It seems on any other type model kit, especially WWII aircraft and various armor subjects, regardless of scale, ultra interior detailing is almost expected, but when it comes to Airliners, sadly, the loudest voices promote bypassing detail opportunity by decaling over the transparencies? That's okay though, there must exist avenues for all skill levels.

Take care,

Frank

Edited by oldHooker
  • 3 weeks later...

I usually use Clearfix to fill the holes (final step of building the model and it can be easily wiped if overspilled) and quite frankly the effect is much better than decals to my eyes... but this is in an evergoing debate with no definite answer

• 2 weeks later...

Resin Windows,

I have experimented with these, firstly using tape, but I found that this left the window a little concave because the tape did not keep the shape (on larger aircraft I dont expect this to be a problem with littlies).

What I did was resin -proof some thin card with a coat of sellotape then I taped this over the windows (on the outside).

What this does is ensures the resin is proud of the fuselage a little so you can sand it back.

win3.jpg

win5.jpg

res3.jpg

res2.jpg

res1.jpg

That\'s beautiful results you got there Sabre, thanks for sharing your technique! :wave:

Take care,

Frank

More on resin windows.

I first tried this on the Airfix F-27 just using tape, this picture shows the results

windows.jpg

some points (that I learned the hard way):

mix the correct proportion of hardener / resin or you will ruin a model or at the very least there will be tears!

roughen up the inside of the fuselage to allow the resin to key to the plastic (otherwise when sanding at least one window will \"pop out\" into the fuselage\"

do not apply in \"dollops\" apply in a flat continuous layer (try making some interior box work to contain the resin. (dollops will create a \"lens\" effect)

both these models have resin windows... note masking curved / oval windows is a real pain in the butt!

fortescue1.jpg

anl4.jpg

anl6.jpg

It is a complicated process but where the windows are crap ala Airfix F-27 and to a lesser extent the Mongram Dak, the results make it worthwhile

cheers

all

wally

Edited by sabresandhunters
  • 1 month later...

Yes, Wonderful Work Wally. I like when attention is applied to Airliners such as this and too bad it has to be done in order to bring the model up to "other" aircraft standards. I too have been contemplating the ways of the passenger window as I plan to cast up interior sets with common style seat rows in 1/144. Hope to keep layouts simple to capture each type cabin arrangement. Would have to have the windows as clear and inlayed as possible for good viewing.