1/48 B-26K Invader - how ?

To go with my Invader i've just purchased the Revell/Monogram A-26B which can be either a bomber or a fire tanker.

What conversion sets and decals are (or have been) made to turn this kit into a B-26K Counter-Invader / A-26A Nimrod please ?

I've done a quick net search and found Cutting Edge 48039 and also a smaller conversion set by Ozmods. Any more ?

To go with my Invader i've just purchased the Revell/Monogram A-26B which can be either a bomber or a fire tanker.

What conversion sets and decals are (or have been) made to turn this kit into a B-26K Counter-Invader / A-26A Nimrod please ?

I've done a quick net search and found Cutting Edge 48039 and also a smaller conversion set by Ozmods. Any more ?

Simple answer as to conversions? None! Not a single one of the B-26K Counter Invader sets were/are complete. None included the cockpit parts.

There was one build that I read where the modeler used bits and pieces from two different conversions to get the exterior as close to right as possible. It seems like he used some from the Cutting Edge set and some from the Paragon set.

As to decals, I believe Aeromaster may still offer a set but, I am not sure.

A conversion set for an On-Mark B-26 is one of those types where you end up with more resin than you do original kit. The K had totally different engine nacelles & cowlings, modified wings, a modified tail, different landing gear, and (as noted) a vastly different cockpit layout. Other than that it was exactly like the B-26B :jaw-dropping:

Sadly, DML was well along with their 1/48 B-26K kit in 1992 when Monogram announced theirs. DML's 1992 corporate holiday card (which I still have) has the box art for their kit on it. But they cancelled work on it when Monogram's POS came along. Too bad, since the B-26 is my favorite twin engined bomber. Monogram really hosed it from stem to stern.

J

If you can get your hands on the Cutting Edge set that would be the way to go. It is what I used to do my Nimrod, which is posted in the reviews in ARC. It comes with corrected cowl, props, landing gear/tires, tail, antennas. You will need to make a second seat and control for the co-pilot, but everything else is there except ordnance.

Monogram really hosed it from stem to stern.

J

I had looked for info on this kit to see if it had any problems, what do you mean they hosed it? I have never found anything against it other than it had raised panel lines... Do you know something I have not been able to find?

Dave Shaw

I haven't measured the real thing, but I can tell you that no 1/48 B-26 Invader I've ever seen built from the Monogram kit looks like a 1/1 scale Douglas B-26 Invader I've seen. There's something completely wrong about the kit and the way it sits and looks. It doesn't have the sleek, shark-like look of the real airplane at all. I strongly suspect the entire fuselage, or at least the fwd fuselage, is too wide. The real airplane is pretty slim, but it looks like two beefy guys in flying garb could fit into the kit cockpit with ease. If I ever get a chance to measure a real Invader, I'll prove my suspicions. In the meantime, I just don't think the kit looks at all 'right'.

J

When Meteor came out with the 8 gun nose for the monogram kit. There was an article about the width of the A/B-26 kit, I think the folks at Meteor indicated the fuselage was too wide. The Cutting Edge instructions indicate there numerous dimension errors, the largest one is at station 0 the fuselage is 6 scale inches too wide.

Edited by terryt
The real airplane is pretty slim, but it looks like two beefy guys in flying garb could fit into the kit cockpit with ease. If I ever get a chance to measure a real Invader....

The real thing is roughly 60" wide at the cockpit. I can get more measurements if you need ?

Can anyone comment on decal availability ? And THIS Ozmods conversion which doesn't include a taller tail ?

The real thing is roughly 60" wide at the cockpit. I can get more measurements if you need ?

Can anyone comment on decal availability ? And THIS Ozmods conversion which doesn't include a taller tail ?

What you see is what you get. The Oz Model conversion is very basic. I have it and the Cutting Edge conversion, what a world of difference.

Link to Cutting Edge conversion. http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev1...8039/rev182.htm

The Cutting Edge conversion is OOP and probably fetches big bucks on e-bay.

• 2 years later...

I too am a huge Invader fan and have always thought that the Revellogram kit looks waaaay too portly. Closing the bomb bay reduces some of that illusion. Has anyone ever tried to correct it? Is there a review or a "squawks list" about the inaccuracies?

Jon