1/32 Tamiya F-14B, VF-101

Hi Guys!,

I submit for your perusal my latest effort, the 1/32 Tamiya F-14A kit built into a "B" model. If you'd like to follow this build, it can be found here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=180168

To re-cap, this bird took me 8 months and I took several hundred photographs of the entire build. I also used the following to get it looking this way, which is just about everything I could get my hands on for the Tamiya Tomcat kit:

-Aires and Teknics resin and photo-etch cockpit sets (using the best of both).

-Eduard seat detail and placards sets.

-Cross Delta structural reinforcements set.

-Wolfpack F-14D airframe conversion set.

-Tamiya F-16 GE-110 burner cans X 2.

-TACTS pod from a Hasagawa A-4E Aggressor kit

-CATM-9 missile from an Academy F-18C kit

-Wolfpack Late type wheel set.

-Fightertown decals, #101 circa 2004.

-Phoenix metal Pitot tube & AOA sensor.

...as well as lots of other do-dads I had lying around. I also went through 2 canopies before I was happy with the final product. I tried to replicate this build as closely as possible to the real deal, so you won't find many tanks, bombs and missiles on this Tomcat, since the birds of VF-101 were for training and they usually flew "naked". Even if there was no live ammo on these birds, you gotta love the sinister looking "Reaper" on the tail.

Anyway, here's the pics. I hope you like it as much as I enjoyed building it. :jaw-dropping:

T3.jpg

T5.jpg

T1.jpg

BK2.jpg

BK1.jpg

_DSC2405.jpg

_DSC2398.jpg

BK7.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Really, really nice work, Chuck...!

Thank you for taking the time to show some of the "tricks & traps" of the big Tamiya kit, as well as your modelling techniques - the 'salt weathering' thing will definitely be seeing some use in the near future!

Great modelling work, dude!!!

:worship::thumbsup:

-Rob

You know, Chuck- you show some signs of talent, and with a little effort, you could really be a fantastic builder...You need to just slow down a little and stop slapping these big kits together; spend a little quality time with some of the details, etc.

:coolio:

Seriously, this has been a tremendous build to watch, like a time-lapse film of a caterpillar changing into an incredibly beautiful butterfly!

Well done, and well-documented to boot!

Thanks for the ride...can't wait to see what's next!

the 'salt weathering' thing will definitely be seeing some use in the near future!

-Rob

Thanks Guys!

One problem with documenting this build photographically is getting pics that look like what the model does to my eyes. Color balance, lighting, etc., all get skewed somewhat and I'm still learning how to take decent pics of my work. Although a WIP pic, this one really nailed what I see for the weathered look of the top.

Dullcoat10.jpg

The BEST, STUNNING, AWESOME, AMAZING TOMCAT build ever.

I have enjoyed every little technique. detailing of the cockpit, the SUPERB weathering,

every litle thing that you did has made this very ENJOYABLE, PERFECT TOMCAT thread to follow.

EXQUISITE EXCELLENT FINISH..Chuck you certainly are a true MASTER of your craft.

TOMCATS ARE MY favorite so I am ecstatic ......

CONGRATULATIONS...Thank You for such a wondrous build... :salute:

HOLMES :whistle::cheers::worship:

One can never have too many Cat's on ARC. Certainly if they look like this one.

Absolutely awesome job. Raising the bar, and setting the new standard.

Building a simpler Italeri Cat now myself, which is a lot harder now when I look at this big one.

Chuck as said this one lovely tomcat and surely my inspiration to my future big cat awaiting next to hit my workbench after a smaller cat is finished.

I do have a question though, as the weathering absolutely spot on, it does not correspond with the cleanliness of the black stripe across the fuselage and the tails, it just looks just "too new" for such a weathered aircaft. It just seems too much of a contrast on the photos. Sorry to be a bit nit-picky.