F-16 Arctic Bandits

Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying the Tamiya 1/48 F-16C/N kit, and painting it with the black/white/grey scheme on the boxart. What are the main colours required?

Thanks,

Lim

The Tamiya F-16C/N kit is wonderful. I'm sure you'll enjoy building it. Here are the FS colours for the Arctic Bandit you're looking for.

Black = FS 37030 / Model Master 2040

Gray = FS 36231 / Model Master 1740

White = FS 36628 / no good match but can be easily mixed

Cheers,

John

Thanks! Do I really need to buy those extra strengthening plates?

That really depends on you. The Block 30/32 aircraft do indeed need the stiffener plates if you're into authenticity. If you're not too concerned about one block of F-16C from the next then it doesn't really matter.

BTW, the stiffener plate set also includes metal pitot and AOA probes.

Cheers,

John

I'm also building the Tamiya Adversary F-16 and want to do the grey/light blue/dark(er) blue scheme. What would the FS numbers for this scheme be?

Thanks in advance

frequent_flyer

The Arctic Aggressor Blue Flanker scheme colours are:

Light Blue = FS 35450 / Model Master 2131

Grey = FS 36270 / MM 1725

Dark Blue = FS 35109 / MM 2031

Cheers,

John

F-16 radomes are not FS colored. They can be almost any color of grey, from very light to very dark. Any color of grey you pick is just fine. Jake Melampy posted a photo of a whole line of F-16 noses, and not one radome was the same color as any of the others.

J

F-16 radomes are not FS colored. They can be almost any color of grey, from very light to very dark. Any color of grey you pick is just fine. Jake Melampy posted a photo of a whole line of F-16 noses, and not one radome was the same color as any of the others.

Aha, good to know that. Do you know why this is so? Does each radom get a different color already during production or does the radom color perhaps fade more quickly and more "randomly" than the airframe colors or what else could be the reason?

Greetings

frequent_flyer

Aha, good to know that. Do you know why this is so? Does each radom get a different color already during production or does the radom color perhaps fade more quickly and more "randomly" than the airframe colors or what else could be the reason?

Greetings

frequent_flyer

FF, No the Radomes are generally "painted" with the same color when the radome is manufactured.

The variance is in the aging of the radomes.

When I was at Misawa our A's and B's were all variable in the color of the radome,

However that changed when the new C's and D's came in.

But again due to the fact that that covering for the radome (Actually IIRC a neoprene paint) aged quickly and was almost always a different shade from the next bird on the flightline, and that was within a few short months.

So the base color of the radome was FS 36320, this on a few of our birds got almost as dark as 36118 and any shade in-between.

After replacing enough of them on the flightline It was always a blast to open that crate and see the radome in its pristine state, or the one with a big dirty hand print right in the center of the radome ... oh those were the days...

William G