SAC and Alaskan subjects

Gents:

Two new sheets that will be out in about 2 weeks.

The first is a Strategic Air Command sheet 72-023:

B-47E 100th BW or 509th BW,

C-47 100th BW Station Hack,

T-33 509th BW all from Pease AFB

U-2C in the Sabre Scheme from the 100th SRW Davis-Monthan AFB

B-52H from the 28th BW Ellsworth AFB with RAF 100th Sqdn Zap marking.

The Alaskan Air Command Sheet with aircraft of the 21st Composite Wing and the 343rd TFW:

F-102A or TF-102A - 317th FIS

H-21C of the 21st TOS - aluminum lacquer or polished metal versions

T-33 of the 5021st Aggressor aircraft

A-10A in a snow camo scheme

F-4E of the 43rd TFS

HH-3E of the 5040th HS

EB-57

Sht72-023.jpg

Sht72-024.jpg

Mark

The decals are very nice, especially the Alaska birds. I'd like to get a couple.

Just a small gremlin. The 43rd TFS F-4E should be from some time between 1980, when the blue rudder and white polar bear was added, to Nov. 1982, when the 43rd went over to F-15s. It should also have the leading edge slats.

In 1973, the 43rd F-4Es were plain with just the FC tail code and stenciling in white. In 1976, they added special shark mouth markings for William Tell. In May of 1980, the 18th TFS with the same markings came to Yokota and they were in the process of changing from white tail codes and stenciling to the subdued black markings. I believe that the 43rd would be doing the same at this time.

Sorry to add this, but great work on your decals.

Best wishes,

Grant.

The decals are very nice, especially the Alaska birds. I'd like to get a couple.

Just a small gremlin. The 43rd TFS F-4E should be from some time between 1980, when the blue rudder and white polar bear was added, to Nov. 1982, when the 43rd went over to F-15s. It should also have the leading edge slats.

In 1973, the 43rd F-4Es were plain with just the FC tail code and stenciling in white. In 1976, they added special shark mouth markings for William Tell. In May of 1980, the 18th TFS with the same markings came to Yokota and they were in the process of changing from white tail codes and stenciling to the subdued black markings. I believe that the 43rd would be doing the same at this time.

Sorry to add this, but great work on your decals.

Best wishes,

Grant.

The 5021st T-Birds also had the polar bear on the tail the same timeframe as the F-4Es. If you go to DVIC you will also see that along with the air defense gray scheme on your instructions, they were in aluminum/artic red and gray/arctic red markings. Back in 1979 when I first moved to Elemdorf they had T-birds with all three schemes at the same time on the ramp.

Now. I am on one knee asking (please don't make me beg) if there is any way possible and I mean ANY WAY POSSIBLE that we could get those Alaska markings in 1/48 scale??? Especially considering the possibilities with the 1/48 scale Classic Airframes B-57 (EB-57 conversion), Academy (and older Hobbycraft) T-33A and the numerous F-4Es and A-10s available.

:taunt:

I'm already in for the 1/72 sheet but would send you a check for 3 of them in 1/48 in a heartbeat!

Sal (crossing my fingers)

When I got to Elmendorf in late 1984 the 5021st T-birds were almost all in overall ADC gray with no more red. I think there were about three or four of them left in NMF with the red, and one in gray with red. Very few of them had the 5021st badge on the nose, and there were only a couple of polar bears. Somewhere I've got several pages of slides of all of the birds they had up there at the time.

Here's the most colorful bird we had circa May '85.

So now comes the question: WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET AN ACCURATE 1/48 SCALE PLASTIC KIT OF THIS AIRPLANE!?!?!?!?!!?

J

T-33A5021st.jpg

Edited by Jennings

Gents:

If there's enough interest I'll do a few of the Alaskan subjects in 48th. What other subjects from my sheets would you like to see? If I'm going to do a sheet I'd like to have at least 4 or 5 subjects on it. As for the B-57 the national markings would be huge. I need to think about that one.

So far:

in 48th A-10A snow scheme

T-33A aggressor

F-4E

Mark

Yea, the B-57 markings would be ginormous! Just look at Xtradecal's latest releases for evidence!

The A-10 and F-4E are easy selections, and I'd certainly include the T-33 as well. The F-102 is cool. Barring the B-57, how about some markings for Army helicopters?

Gents:

If there's enough interest I'll do a few of the Alaskan subjects in 48th. What other subjects from my sheets would you like to see? If I'm going to do a sheet I'd like to have at least 4 or 5 subjects on it. As for the B-57 the national markings would be huge. I need to think about that one.

So far:

in 48th A-10A snow scheme

T-33A aggressor

F-4E

Mark

Those three for sure...I'd say add the Deuce! And then maybe the SH-21 for us rotorheads. Somewhere i've got polaroid of some nice noseart on an Elmendorf SH-21B. It was a comic goose with the title "The Goose is Loose!" Unfortunately it wasn't replicated when they refurbished it and put it on static display over by the Muldoon Gate.

Hitch,

I wonder why that is?

Regards,

Murph

Because the sands of time cause you to remember things more fondly. Because when I was there, I couldn't wait to leave. Now that I've been gone, I'd love a chance to go back...

Oh, and in 1/32nd as well please :thumbsup:

Hitch