A-4M Weapons and colors

I've got a rocket pod 2.75, two 500lb Snakeyes, and a Shrike. But could the A-4M in it's later comfigurations carry the HARM? As for the station loads bombs would inboard and the missle and pod would be outboard, but would it any more specific than that? missle station 1 or 5, pod 1 or 5?

As for the colors I'm doing a low-vis grey scheme. The insides of the airbrakes, flaps and spoilers would be - light grey, light ghost grey, or dark ghost grey? And finally the drop tank would which of the three colors?

Thanks for all the help on this project so far.

Randy

No, the A-4 (any variant) could not employ the HARM.

Now before someone posts a pick of a HARM on an A-4. Yes, it was CAPABLE of carrying it but it was not authorized and did not have the avionics to employ it.

So the bottom line, no the A-4 was authorized to carry the HARM.

BTW, the outboard stations where only rate for about 500 lbs, the HARM was a 900 lb missile.

I think the inside of all moving surfaces (flaps/brakes etc) where red and the drop tanks are your choice, I've seen a varity off all greys.

Reddog <_<

No, the A-4 (any variant) could not employ the HARM.

Now before someone posts a pick of a HARM on an A-4. Yes, it was CAPABLE of carrying it but it was not authorized and did not have the avionics to employ it.

So the bottom line, no the A-4 was authorized to carry the HARM.

BTW, the outboard stations where only rate for about 500 lbs, the HARM was a 900 lb missile.

I think the inside of all moving surfaces (flaps/brakes etc) where red and the drop tanks are your choice, I've seen a varity off all greys.

Reddog <_<

I think when the tactical gray scheme was introduced on the A-4, the inside surfaces of the brakes, flaps, etc. went from red to gray. The pictures I've seen definitely show the inside of the flaps in gray, I'm speculating on the speedbrake interiors but it makes sense that those were gray too. Shade is most likely the same as the surrounding surfaces, the inside of the flaps being the same as the underside of the jet.

Usually the airbrakes, flaps and spoilers would be painted like the outside of the aircraft near that part of the airplane (so, for example, the inside of the leading edge slats would be painted FS36320 like the top of the wing) but there is some variability and red was sometimes used. It depends on the squadron. If you can tell us which squadron you are modeling, we can be more helpful.

You would sometimes see some crazy loads on aircraft on static display at airshows. TA-4Js were used in the testing phase of HARM development, and one even had a HARM seeker installed in its nose for a while.

You would sometimes see some crazy loads on aircraft on static display at airshows. TA-4Js were used in the testing phase of HARM development, and one even had a HARM seeker installed in its nose for a while.

This excites me for some reason. :salute: Maybe use a OA-4M for a base and add some IR-guided Zunis...:D

Wasn't the only ARM that was used operationally by Scooters the Shrike? I remember the Monogram OA-4M had Shrikes outboard.

I think operationally the first HARM shooters were Hornets in the mid-80's around the same time as the Scooters were phased out of operational service by Hornets and Harrier IIs (I know the one reserve unit -I think in Memphis - didn't retire the A-4M until '91 IIRC)

One of these days I want to do an Iron Hand Scooter from 'Nam with a loadout of 4 Shrikes....I just have to get the 4 Shrikes and rails

MAtt

Edited by Matt Roberts

Thanks for the input, lots of great info. Now for the next round...which series of Sidewinder wa carried by the Mikes? I've got a few pics of them mounted on station 1 but there is no caption for type, and the shots are head on enough not being able to tell. Also it looks like the aircraft carried GBU's on a regular basis but I find no pics of a tracking pod on the aircraft. Early GBU's were lazed by FAC's on the ground so I'm asuming (break down the word) that there were no pods mounted. Thanks in advance.

Randy

It would either be a H or a L model Sidewinder, the L being available a couple of years after the Skyhawks went lo-vis. The H has a shorter triangular canard, and the L has the slight kink in the longer canard.