SB2C-4 Helldiver in 72 Scale WIP

Hi all...................I tried to post my pics of an ongoing build I'm doing of a 72 scale Helldiver. The kit is the Academy version. Nothing worked, so I'm posting a couple of the latest pics from another host site, and a link to my Fotki Album where anyone interested can go have a look at the entire build progress. I will post pics in my photo host site and then to here from now on as the build progresses. I hope you stay with me and enjoy my build. Any and all comments are welcomed graciously and appreciated.

Here's the link to my album. There's lots to see..................... http://whatsnew.fotki.com/bendenna/

And now a few photographsof my model...............

tigerie010.jpg

IMG_5199.jpg

IMG_5200.jpg

helldiver003.jpg

helldiver001-1.jpg

I hope you all ejoy your visit to my album. If you've built anything that has my name on the boxtop, I'd be more than interested to hear from you and see how you did with it.

Kind regards everyone,

Ben Jakobsen

Edited by bendenna

That is a crazy amount of detail! I'm surprised nobody has commented yet (I have noticed that 1/72 does not get much attention here). It looks wonderful

Does the kit come with perforated dive breaks, or did you drill out all of those holes yourself?

That is a crazy amount of detail! I'm surprised nobody has commented yet (I have noticed that 1/72 does not get much attention here). It looks wonderful

Does the kit come with perforated dive breaks, or did you drill out all of those holes yourself?

Hi Ralph..................no, I had to drill all those holes. I don't like the battle damage. It was kinda ok at first, but all the "bent metal" has been broken off through the immense amount of handling it has undergone. I'm going to replace those flaps with undamaged ones, but I'm not looking forward to the thinning and drilling aspects again.

Thank you for your kind comments Ralph.

Kind regards,

Ben Jakobsen

Edited by bendenna

I took a couple more photos of my Helldiver and am posting them here for you all to see. I removed the gunners machine gun ring to let you see down into his pit a little. I'm not gettng much of a response. Perhaps this is the wrong forum..................I see lots of discussion, but very little pics, so if I'm not in the right place to post pics of WIP, can someone please point me in the right direction please? I am new here. Thank you.

IMG_5201.jpg

IMG_5204.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

All the best,

Ben

Edited by bendenna

There is an inprogress forum on this site, where your work might get some added attention. Scroll down the main page and you'll see something that says something about critique corner, and todays birds, and something else. Try there.

As for the battle damage, I think it looks fine. Any more and it would be overdone, any less and it might not be visible at all. It looks like a nasty flak burst right over the wing. I like it

There is an inprogress forum on this site, where your work might get some added attention. Scroll down the main page and you'll see something that says something about critique corner, and todays birds, and something else. Try there.

As for the battle damage, I think it looks fine. Any more and it would be overdone, any less and it might not be visible at all. It looks like a nasty flak burst right over the wing. I like it

Hey Ralph...................this little bird is very difficult due to my lack of reference, and encouragement has kept me going. Of course, criticism delivered also makes for a better modeler, as sometimes we can't see out own follies.

I'm glad you are along for the ride, as I'm going to keep posting.............and that flak damage................still thinking long and hard about it all.

Kind regards,

Ben

Edited by bendenna
:bandhead2::worship::worship:

What is it? This is amazing scratch work!!! Congratulations!!!Well done.

Marcelo :woot.gif:

Hiya Marcelo.................Thank you so much for the kind comments. There's lots more to go in, and I hope I can fgure out how it all fits together. I've got better pics, and I'll post a few more as the days pass, but mostly, if you wish to see the complete build, you can visit my Fotki Album here....................

http://public.fotki.com/bendenna/

hope you stay tuned, and again, thank you.

Have a nice day,

Ben

Very nice! I like the fact that you're doing all the detail from scratch, rather than using aftermarket bits. I think the Helldiver is definately one of Academy's best efforts yet, but you're really taking it to the next level!

SN

Hi, Ben! The CD is on its way. Good to see you here!

chuk

Thank you Chuck.............both for the welcome and for the reference help. Actually, it's nice to be here. I can't work on the model as I'm away from my desk until next Thursday, but it's wonderful to be able to continue sharing my efforts and I hope things are being learned.

I love that 410 Chuck. You're a HUGE inspiration my friend.

Kindest regards

Ben

i just noticed this thread ben , it's a great job you're doing there ! please do keep posting , i'm really looking forward to this . :coolio:

Thank you for the very kind comments Blimp................I'm sorry, I'm very new here and don't know the names of you behind your screen names. Regardless, my thanks are very real as is my appreciation for you taking a peek and enjoying what you see.

Hope to show you lots more, so yes, I'll keep posting.

Take care

Ben

Very nice! I like the fact that you're doing all the detail from scratch, rather than using aftermarket bits. I think the Helldiver is definately one of Academy's best efforts yet, but you're really taking it to the next level!

SN

I really don't like working with that photoetched brass Steve. It's too one dimensional for me. I have lots of tricks to make it a successful endeavor, butwhy, when we can build the stuff out of styrene and other materials.

I'm really very glad you like what I'm doing and I hope you stay on board to the end. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement and for the pat on the back.

All the best

Ben

Nice work! I have this kit in the stash, and am studying your work for future reference!

:coolio:

Mike

Hiya Mike..................Wow..............I don't believe anyone has ever told me they would use my work for reference. Thank you for the honor, I'm so glad you think what I'm doing is ok. I love the kit.........so far it has fallen together like a charm. The recessed panel lines are simply some of the best I've seen, but I was unhappy with the interior and other elements, so am taking care of them. Thank you for the compliments. I hope you stay tuned,

Kind regards,

Ben

That's some beautiful work! Amazing detail considering the scale.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Hi Old Blind Dog.............after this project, I might be there with you, hehehehe................to be truthful, it will be a relief to have it all done and ready for paint. I really thank you for the kind comments and as I said to everyone thus far, I also hope you stay in touch for the remaining parts of the build.

Pleasant days

Ben

I promised a few more good pics of where my model stands at this point in time. As well, Ralph had asked if the kit came with the divebrakes perforated or not. I can assure you they didn't and in the interest of sharing, I've also included the following closeup photo of the divebrakes on the aircraft.

I hope you all enjoy the following pics. I'll post more next weekend after some more progress.

Divebrakes01.jpg

IMG_4942.jpg

This is the set of levers that go to the right of the pilot. In reality, this piece is 1/8 inch long and the stand for it is not that much larger.

IMG_5190.jpg

Here's a favorite shot of mine looking down into the gunners pit without the machine gun ring and seat in place. I can hardly wait to get into the rest of it, but I'm currently waiting on some reference from my friend Chuck Wojtkiewicz aka chuckw, so I may clear up some mysteries to what I'm building. I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to my models and can't seem to get over some areas without getting them right.

Ta ta for now all. As I mentioned, I hope you enjoy the photos and the model.

Kind regards everyone,

Ben

I did something similar to the dive-breaks on an SBD model, so I know how painful and tedious of a job it is. Kudos to you sir, and I won't tell you that there is a boxing of this kit with perforated PE breaks. :sunrevolves:

... and I won't tell you that there is a boxing of this kit with perforated PE breaks. :thumbsup:

I have that one too and was thinking the same thing :)

Anyway Ben, I build 1/72 exclusively, one of the (many) things I like about the scale is that I can produce a model I am happy with without feeling the necessity to scratch build or add resin/pe to everything. Your work adding all the interior details is very well done. And I agree, besides being very fiddly most of the time, an awful lot of the PE interior detailing lacks necessary 3-D look or requires a trained spider to fold and fit into place.