And here we go again.

I built this kit for the last DOTR and it was my first major resin adventure. Unfortunately I had not yet discovered the beauty that is

CA accelerator (zapper) so the build suffered from alignment issues due to set time.

Here's the obligatory pic of the kit, swag and reference

DSC_0007.jpg

Detail shot of the swag

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

There's a fair amount of overlap in the P/E department since the Aires 'kit' ships with resin (poly) and P/E. That gives me

some breathing room if I screw up a P/E part....there might be a spare :shoot:

Hope I can do the kit justice and keep up with the great example Scott has set

:wacko:

• 1 month later...

Wow...I haven't gotten much done since I started this thread :cheers: But last night I powered up the Dremel and

trimmed the pour stubs off the resin pieces....here's a quick shot of all the swag 'de-stubbed'

DSC_0010.jpg

I'm starting to worry about the time left but fear not....it's the winter months and I should be able to

get'R done...although I won't be doing 3 like the last time :banana:

Thanks for checking in

:thumbsup:

Thanks Mike :thumbsup:

Getting all the stuff back out of the basement I stumbled on this

DSC_0016.jpg

Since there is no internal framework in the Tamiya kit aft of the schrage musik, I ripped some strips

using some .040 sheet styrene and built up some framework

DSC_0017.jpg

As well as 2 maintenance platforms

DSC_0018.jpg

I've been busy scribing/cutting control surfaces and access panels out. Here I was able to use the Chopper to

split a small piece of styrene tube stock to place inside the cut-out area to tidy it up a bit.

DSC_0019.jpg

This is the Aires resin feed chutes for the cannon just stuck in temporarily

DSC_0020.jpg

Thanks for looking

:thumbsup:

Thanks guys :monkeydance:

Here'a a small update. I have the DB-603E's assembled, painted and mostly wired. I kinda pimped them up a bit based on

the following (museum!) picture from Wikipedia

800px-DB_603_E.jpg

anyway..here are mine...just so there's no confusion :lol: Still need a bit of weathering too

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

I painted the top of the block (bottom really :)) aluminum based on the Wiki picture but other pictures I'm looking at for

DB601's on 109's show the top as the same colour as the rest of the block. I haven't dug up any others like the Wiki

pic so I think I may have gotten 'museumed' :wacko:

Thanks for looking

:cheers:

Thanks Isaac....it was nothing special just Tamiya XF-16. In comparing the Wiki pic with mine I noticed that I went too far with the aluminum on the

crankcase. I'll just go with my 'pimping' explanation and hope it's not visible behind the cowling. :monkeydance: The prop shaft could have been done in

steel (probably would have gone with MM metalizer) too but I figured it would not be visible once the prop was on.

Thanks Guys. I'm actually having a blast on this one after doing the same amount of resin and P/E on the same kit for DOTR-1. You have

to remember that the DOTR-1 build was my very first vernture into resin and only my second venture into P/E at the time. I also hadn't

discovered CA zapper which made a _huge_ difference at the point I discovered it.

I also have a mountain of references now including Merrick's German Aircraft Interiors, the Schiffer interior book and a couple of others

just on the He-219. My only problem is a lack of colour pictures but there are a couple...mostly of the one in storage at the NASM.

I'm not sold on the 'inside-out' camouflage technique for the kit-supplied decals though. According to one reference as well as the

partially restored NASM bird it was actually done...but you can also tell in a lot of photos that it's a regular splotchy mottle.

:wave:

Did you get any recent pics of the -219 at the Udvar-Hazy Center? If not, I have a few.

Matt B)

I've seen some of them on the net...I'm not going to do the inside out camo method so unless you have tons of colour internal

shots I think I'm good for refs.

:)

Here's an update on progress so far

Schrage musik install..Aires cans, MK's. Scratchbuilt compressed air, wires, framing

DSC_0032.jpg

The other (starboard) side...all scratch-built

DSC_0036.jpg

The bang seats (ooops...see a touch-up needed there)

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

Aires cockpit with P/E (the pieces that didn't go flying off into nowhere :thumbsup:)

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

Almost ready to put the fuse together and throw some paint on this bad boy

Thanks for looking

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I updated the thread but work is slowly progressing. I have the major components assembled this time leaving off the engines since

last time it was a masking nightmare with all the open panels. The plan is to simply mask around the bays (LG, D/F, engine) and then lay down the

requisite RLM02. So at this point I have Tamiya primer, RLM66 pre-shade (lost in the photos :rofl:), RLM76 and I put the RLM75 mottle down last night.

Last time I went for bigger mottles..this time I went smaller. I'll line both up for a comparision at the end of this build for poops and giggles.

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

Over-all I'm pleased with the mottling. I kinda ran out of steam on the starboard wing :jaw-dropping: This is the first time doing a large

mottling job with my H&S Infinity. The last GB I used my Iwata HP-CS.....I almost dragged it out last night but soldiered

on with the H&S. The little pre-set button on the back came in handy as it locks the trigger down so you can't (in theory at least)

get too much paint down...I somehow managed to anyway but this was when I stopped using the feature because of some

cloggage (dirty basement :thumbsup:)

Thanks for looking. I think I should be able to meet the deadline if I keep at it at my current pace.

:whistle:

Wow thats a lot of mottles. My hand was beginning to hurt doing the mottle on the tail of my 190. My hand would fall off doing this baby.

Good work! So you fitted all that resin?

Jeff,

Wjat I really like about tis build are the smaller details that you do like the bang seats and the cockpit which looks amazing.

The mottles effect is stunning and I am glad that yo are still ding this....

Need to see this lovely Heinkel in its full glory ..

You are doing very well.. :banana::banana:

HOLMES :nanner: