Su-15TM Flagon-F

So I'm sitting here waiting on files to transfer over from storage onto our newly arrived desktop (I hate getting a new computer....painful), so I decided I might as well shoot some pics of my other in progress work, a Su-15TM Flagon-F. This is the Trumpeter kit, 1/48, with a Neomega cockpit and Begemot decals. This one is slightly farther along than the Hornet project, but has been underway for a lot longer. Already done a lot of cleanup and respray on the NMF, still a bit more work to do in some areas. Begemot decals are challenging. They're very thin, but almost translucent, and this set was badly yellowed. I had to sun bleach it for over a week to get the glue relatively clear.

Really liked the Neomega cockpit. Oh yeah, it's got the Loon Models nose correction as well. The Ukrainian roundels did not react well to MicroSol, so I'm probably going to have to redo those. It doesn't look too bad in the pics, but they crinkled and doubled back on themselves, and because they're so thin, it really stands out.

Overall, not bad....been able to squeeze a fair amount of modeling in lately. This sucker should be finished by next week, and the Hornets will get paint tomorrow night. Figured out the LED setup for my "other" project, which will have to be revealed at another date. ;)

Thanks again for looking.

Cheers,

Waco

IMG_0985.jpg

Oooooh....shiny!

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

Edited by Waco
How was the kit? Went together well?

I'd call it standard Trumpeter. Took a few whacks with a rubber mallet to get everything aligned, but I didn't have to break out the full up sledge on this sucker. Neomega has a slightly weird setup with the cockpit where you have to make some unusual cuts, and getting the resin to smooth back in with the surrounding plastic fuselage was a bit challenging. Yeah, I like the markings.

I have to throw props out to Mike Reeves, who hooked me up with most of the goodies for this kit. I was actually going to do the camoflauge scheme, but he told me I couldn't. ;) Everybody does that one, according to Mr Reeves, so I needed to do something different. The Maestro bird was the only one that came close enough to raising my interest level in NMF...but it came out okay so far.

I'm holding my breath for the remaining seal-weather-final finish coats though.

Thanks for the kind words.

Great built you have there!!!!

I made that Maestro in 1/72 some years ago. planning to make the whole history of "Maestro, Leonid Bekov" planes from the Ukrainian AF. Already have this Su-15tm, 1 Mig-29 and a Yak-52 transvert to a WWII fighter bird like they did in the Leonid Bekov movie about the Maestro. Planning to do another Mig-29 and the Il-2m where the story is based on.

Hi, Waco! Great project! Good luck with it and BMF! Dont go for shiny finish. There were airframe aluminum with some varnish on top.

Also make sure that different panels have different shades, so always check the pictures.

Also, the real plane has thousand of rivets. There should be visible on the model, but it is a sick work =)

The model itself needs some correction on the nose, fuselage, wings, fin etc... =) I started my project a while ago and it is now on hold =)

If you need drawings or pictures (books) let me know.

I had an article on what I was doing with the model. You can find it here - http://modelism.airforce.ru/workshop/su-15tm/index.htm

I also have the pictures of my build here - http://picasaweb.google.com/sergey.archako...TMTrumpeter148#

there is a walkaround on our web-site http://walkarounds.airforce.ru/avia/rus/sukhoi/su-15tm/

Cheers!

Sergey

Sergey-

Thanks. I used the Loon Models nose, which corrects the nose problem, which is the only truly obvious one to my (untrained eyes). As for the other corrections, well, it's definitely too late for the majority of them. Again, for my eyes, it "looks like a Flagon." I'm not an accuracy nut.

Yep, there is more tonal variation to the panels than you can see in the pics, mostly because it is still relatively shiny. Once I apply the sealant coat to the decals, and weather, I plan on re-assessing how it looks and picking out a few additional panels as necessary. My will be in a satin finish overall, which looks relatively close for my eyes.

Some great references there, and I'm sure other folks will be happy to use the info you've given them. Thanks for checking out the build!

Cheers,

Very nice job. I like the metal finish, it looks a bit subdued and weathered instead of just overall chrome like some models. Much more realistic IMHO. The Su-15 is just a cool looking aircraft. With those tiny wings, the landing speed must been incredibly high. Look forward to seeing it completed.

Regards,

John

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm calling this one done. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results. Based on looking at lots of pics, I tried to keep the tonal variety between panels relatively subtle, so it didn't look like a patchwork quilt. It's also not quite as shiny as some of these pics would have you believe, as I flat coated it in the end, which also seemed more appropriate based on the reference pics. This was a fun build, and I plan on knocking out a 2-seater at some point in the future. The next one will be camoflauge, since I believe I've met Mr. Reeves' challenge to complete the NMF bird.

Thanks for taking a look.

Cheers,

Waco

Flagon_13.jpg

Flagon_10.jpg

Flagon_1.jpg

Flagon_8.jpg

Flagon_4.jpg

SUHWAEET!!! Nice to see what I am up against with mine!! What color did you use in the pit? I am struggling to find a suitable match for the bluish grey.

Bringing it to Phoenix?? :thumbsup:

Well done dude.....where are the inner MLG doors though?? LOL