1/24 Mosquito (Airfix)

Has the kit been released yet?

And how many here are anticipating the release of the wooden wonder.

Personally...Id love to do the bird in the Blue, invasion stripe, Red tail and US markings...

I'd be all over this one! Wow I'd spend 2 years building that one.

Jon you gotta wait about another year for the bomber version to come out.

...and it may not come with the two stage Merlins, although I could be tempted to wager a significant amount of folding wedge that aftermarket resin is already in the pipeline.

peebeep

I 'm waiting for someone (Trumpy ?) to release a 32nd scale (better for my space management).

But to be honest, i can't resist the Airfix Mossie. Who knows, i'll take one ?

I think there will be a lot of them going over the counter, but never build due to the space that is going to take once it's assembled .

Luc

So the US Marked Mosquitoes are Bombers eh?

Well...I guess I could go the Hypothetical route and mark a fighter version in American markings. But like many have already said...The aftermarket companies will go crazy with this kit, and depending on how many Mosquitoes i eventually own, Ill at least have one in British markings.

But I have to be a little patriotic...Its such a beautiful plane.

They're actually photo recce machines, which were derived from bomber versions. The US scheme in the profile above looks really neat, one of the most attractive IMO.

peebeep

...and it may not come with the two stage Merlins, although I could be tempted to wager a significant amount of folding wedge that aftermarket resin is already in the pipeline.

peebeep

heritage already does them as an aftermarket in 1/32, and their website is always asking for ides.......(i see he did a 1/24th mossie ahead of Airfix as well!)

http://www.heritageaviationmodelsltd.com/m...lings-236-p.asp

Edited by FIGHTS ON

Very much so. It is this build that sold me, HARD! The CAD was great, showed great, simple, and well thought out engineering. I was REALLY worried about that huge wing piece though, given what I have from their 190 right now. But his build has set the stage for a great many builds of this a/c. The possibilities are endless for sure!

I call dibs on a 305 Squadron Mossie!

The more I see this Mosquito build, the more my mouth is watering for that delivery date. But, the last post as of now I think is right, those .303 muzzle ends have been switched with the 20mm Hispano tips. Otherwise, this fellow is an amazing builder! His paint work, and ability to raise the detail out of the parts in such a manner is stunning. I'm sure the detail that Airfix gives this kit is great, but Spence definitely takes it a step further. The man has a gift. I suppose that may go in a way to explain how he got to build one of the test builds. Either way, looks great!

Only downside I see though, are the typical bombs - another kit seems to have treated them as an afterthought. Thick mold, boring, and a fuse thicker than my old section commanders head. A minor thing really though. Thanks for the update Av8!

Edited by Kostucha
The more I see this Mosquito build, the more my mouth is watering for that delivery date. But, the last post as of now I think is right, those .303 muzzle ends have been switched with the 20mm Hispano tips. Otherwise, this fellow is an amazing builder! His paint work, and ability to raise the detail out of the parts in such a manner is stunning. I'm sure the detail that Airfix gives this kit is great, but Spence definitely takes it a step further. The man has a gift. I suppose that may go in a way to explain how he got to build one of the test builds. Either way, looks great!

Only downside I see though, are the typical bombs - another kit seems to have treated them as an afterthought. Thick mold, boring, and a fuse thicker than my old section commanders head. A minor thing really though. Thanks for the update Av8!

Hey everyone! Thanks very much for the very kind words on my Mosquito - they're very much appreciated!

You're right about the muzzles - I had switched them around, but they are now in the right places. This really was a case of not being able to see the wood for the trees! :cheers: The pictures now on line, show them as they should be...

All the best, Spence :thumbsup:

Well...I guess I could go the Hypothetical route and mark a fighter version in American markings. But like many have already said...The aftermarket companies will go crazy with this kit, and depending on how many Mosquitoes i eventually own, Ill at least have one in British markings.

But I have to be a little patriotic...Its such a beautiful plane.

Nothing hypothetical about it - the USAAF did use a fighter version also....

....The 416th NFS flew the Mosquito Mk.XXX, in standard RAF late-war nightfighter finish of Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green camouflage but with US National Insignia....

....The Mk.XXX also had the two-stage Merlins, along with a 'bull' nose housing the radar, so it would still need some conversion work - but at least the canopy was the fighter-style, as per the kit!