OHANG A-7D Corsair II

I'll be building the Hasegawa A-7D using Aires wheel wells, Black Box cockpit and 2009 IPMS/USA National Convention decals. I'll probably add weapons from a Hasegawa weapons set to be determined later.

DSC03604.jpg

The Aires wheel wells are just gorgeous.

DSC03608.jpg

DSC03610.jpg

A little work to remove the kit gear bays.

DSC03614.jpg

Maybe an hours work to install the new gear bays.

DSC03630.jpg

I was a little concerned with how the gear bays would fit. My last experience with Aires gear bays wasn't that great. These were a drop fit. Working on the cockpit now, will post more pictures in the next day or so.

Hey Yoxford.

Which colour scheme will you be using for your Ohio ANG A-7? Will it be the two-tone gray scheme?

Ian

I'll be doing the 2 tone grey. This aircraft as a matter of fact.

A-7D_17.jpg

After many years of trying, I finally got the markings i wanted on a sheet.

Wings are now attached. There's a slight step I still need correct. The fuselage part of the wing section doesn't quite match the profile of the fuselage. I fixed the forward part, still have the aft part to blend in.

DSC03685.jpg

DSC03687.jpg

DSC03688.jpg

DSC03689.jpg

The weird thing about this kit is the wing to fuselage fit. I built this kit shortly after it was released. I took a look at it last night, and the step that is present in this boxing wasn't there in the original release. I know what my modeling skills were back then, and I'm sure i didn't fix that well.

The weird thing about this kit is the wing to fuselage fit. I built this kit shortly after it was released. I took a look at it last night, and the step that is present in this boxing wasn't there in the original release. I know what my modeling skills were back then, and I'm sure i didn't fix that well.

I remember building this when it was first released. I still have the instructions and they`re dated 1987 (!!!!) The fit and shape of the fuselage between the wings was a little off, i guess 20+ year old molds will be off even more. Good choice in markings, might do an Ohio bird too, but in 1/32.

Don

I faired the gunport in with putty to blend it in to the fuselage better. I didn't like how it looked like it was just stuck on to the side.

DSC03690.jpg

DSC03691.jpg

A-7D_22.jpg

I have some work to do on the windscreen before I attach it and start pre-shading.

• 2 weeks later...

Holiday preparations have kept me away from the work bench more than I'd like, but I've still managed some progress.

DSC03743.jpg

The fit of the LOX bay door isn't great, so I posed several of the latches open so it appears to be temporarily closed. I'll most likely do the same with the avionics bays as they were routinely only tacked shut.

DSC03744.jpg

Preshading has begun.

DSC03745.jpg

DSC03746.jpg

I'll be covering the intakes and exhaust, so I blanked them off with sheet styrene.

DSC03748.jpg

DSC03749.jpg

Excellent progress - it all looks very good.

I can see why you faired the the cannon muzzle blister in; no doubt the appearance once painted will really justify the extra effort. Looking forward to more pics.

Andrew.

Wow, you're really progressing this, Yoxford. Looking very nice. What are you planning to use for your intake and exhaust covers. i'm looking to cover these on my built too (to get the look from the real thing image in my banner below). Any tips you can pass on would be welcome!

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

I plan on using facial tissue soaked in white glue. The covers were basically 2 pieces, the large flat piece that covers the intake/exhaust, and a 4"-6" strip that wraps around the fuselage. The exhaust just slipped on and was held in place by tension. You can see in the photo I posted earlier how the intake cover was held on. BTW, the pitot tube covers were not part of the intake cover. Also, the intake cover had a lip that followed the contour of the radome. HTH.

Jon

A-7D_22.jpg