WIP 72 Scale SB2C-4 Helldiver

Hi everyone.............I originally posted over at Props, but I guess it's really not the place for my WIP, so I'm moving it over here. It's been an onging build forsome time now, but recently, I've really been moving forward on it. I've really been concentrating on the pilot and gunner pits, and will finish them completely before going back to the exterior of the aircraft. For now, I'm going to post here with the latest pics and move forward from there, but you can see the complete build and notes in my Fotki Album here...................

http://whatsnew.fotki.com/bendenna/

...........There are many things to look at there, so enjoy your stay. I have a special section for those folks who have used something I created for the industry in their masterpieces. It's under the heading My Creations in Use. If you see anything there that's yours, please, by all means contact me so I can put your name to it. Now, in the meantime, I hope you enjoy my Helldiver..............

I'll start with this photo of the canvas cover behind the pilots seat. It's sculpted fro Plumbers Seal epoxy putty. I find this putty to be of the highest quality, with no grain. I can heat it up under a lightbulb to cure it very quickly.

Trying to take pics of my model in this scale has proven difficult. I'm by no means any type of great photographer, but nothing seems to come easy. This is the machine gun ring in the rear pit. I've taken dozens of pics, but this is the best it gets I guess.

This view shows the work I did on the lightening holes around the back. This piece measures just over a quarter inch across in diameter.

I don't know what these levers are for......probably trim or something like that. In any case, this is the average size of most of what I'm putting into my model. After this is done, I think I'm moving to 48 scale or larger.

This is the almost completed starboard side of the pilots area. You can see those levers in place.

The gunners area with the machine gun ring temporarily mounted in place. As time goes by, I'll post better pics of these areas before I button everything up. I hope you can see some of the work I've done inside the area.

Finally, a shot into the rear area with the machine gun ring removed. I like this shot. It shows much of the small details I've added to my model. I'm hoping my reference package arrives this week so I can move forward on this beast, and I have to say, I'll be glad when it's done and ready for painting.

I hope you all follow along. It would be great to hear your comments. A cheering section is always nice on a project as difficult as this one. Criticism is also a bonus, as it allows me to see past my tunnel vison and get things right from anothers perspective, so please, I ask you all to drop a line and help out if you feel so inclined. I really hope you have enjoyed what I've posted here and that you stay tuned.

All the very best

Ben

Edited by bendenna

Ben,

I'm not a fan of the Beast, but your build is really inspiring! Nice work on that canvas cover and all that scratchbuilding in the cockpit... in 1:72! Strart learning Braille now, you're gonna need it.

I need to spend some quality time with your Fotki albums and you need to get busy on that Helldiver. Keep us up to date!

Ben,

I'm not a fan of the Beast, but your build is really inspiring! Nice work on that canvas cover and all that scratchbuilding in the cockpit... in 1:72! Strart learning Braille now, you're gonna need it.

I need to spend some quality time with your Fotki albums and you need to get busy on that Helldiver. Keep us up to date!

Thank you very much Andrew for the kind comments. I am really enjoying the model, but will be glad when it's over and done. I have more done to it since this posting, and will be adding more pics this weekend. Hope you stay tuned.

Kind regards,

Ben

Last weekend, before I left for work, I did some work on the port side of the pilots pit in my Helldiver. It wasn't much............about a couple hours, but it was the starting point for the rest of the interior. I'm really excited about this. Yes, I still have some goodies to put on the starboard side, but I couldn't wait. I've been chomping at the bit to get moving on the port side. The foot pedals are going to be removed and rebuilt from scratch.

IMG_5211.jpg

I'll post more pics this weekend. As well, there will be other pics posted in different albums of my Fotki Album. Hope you also visit there and enjoy your stay.................. http://whatsnew.fotki.com/bendenna/

Cheers for now everyone.

Ben

Edited by bendenna