Multiple medical helicopter interior references

Hi guys,

Here is a link to a great reference for the interiors of some of the major medevac choppers out there. Mostly civilian but there is one for the US Armys new HH-60L medevac. Just click the link of the helicopter your interested in for a detailed pdf of a medical interior.

http://www.airmethods.com/content/index.cf...46&navID=46

Happy modelling,

Dan.

Edited by dan

I actually did a walk around on a EC-145 and an A-star at Air Methods that were being worked on that I sent to Steve here (ARC) and this website; http://helicopterwalkarounds.czweb.org/?section=1 but they have not been posted yet. If you live in the Denver area you can see a story I shot with Air methods coming up this week on Fox 31 (I am a photojournalist with KDVR/KWGN) and it will have some video of the hanger and a ride along in an A-star. I can post the video from our website here when it airs if you like. Our story is about safety and night vision googles. Everett

I actually did a walk around on a EC-145 and an A-star at Air Methods that were being worked on that I sent to Steve here (ARC) and this website; http://helicopterwalkarounds.czweb.org/?section=1 but they have not been posted yet. If you live in the Denver area you can see a story I shot with Air methods coming up this week on Fox 31 (I am a photojournalist with KDVR/KWGN) and it will have some video of the hanger and a ride along in an A-star. I can post the video from our website here when it airs if you like. Our story is about safety and night vision googles. Everett

The story is airing Thursday night at 9 PM, if you want to watch it on line go to KDVR.com after Thrusday night and it will be there, I will try to post a direct link latter.

Everett,

Just watched your clip. A very well done shoot. As a still photographer by trade, I pay close attention to the news guys work. Nice angles, editing and a story line that didn't leave me asking more questions. Also, nice to see somebody use some "sticks" I get so tired of Jerky-Cam.

One question, can the "frame rate" be changed to get the rotor blades to look normal? In stills, I try to shoot at slower shutter speeds so the blades are not frozen in flight.

Again, well done!

Regards,

Tim Bradley

Seattle

Thanks glad you liked it! I did not shoot the green air life stuff, someone else here did and she used shutter speed which is akin to 1/500 or so in still (camera can do 1/250- 1/2000) and that's why the blades blurred. We are shooting on XD-cam mid grad cameras and they are not the best (meant for wedding videos not news gathering) and the shutter is wierd compared to my old camera (BETA-SX). I do use the sticks as much as I can, I am an NPPA award winning photojournalist and I have always believed in the fundamentals. Sorry if that sounds cocky, I don't mean it to. There is a lot of really bad shooting out there and I appologize for what you maybe watching, it is not what I like to see either. Denver is a great market for Photojournalist and we have always had a high bar for storytelling and quality (Ballon boy aside). I take the same pride in my work as I do in my models, it's about qaulity not quanity.

Everett,

Nice story. I am a flight nurse with an Air Methods program in the Northeast. We fly an EC-135. Air Methods is a very safety oriented company. Most people have no idea of the amount of safety that is designed, built into and lived every day in our aeromedical culture.

We have a policy called "Three to go - one to say no". Basically, if any one of the crew(pilot, medic, or nurse) is not comfortable about any aspect of the flight, we turn the mission down. Many companies don't have that. Our pilots are not given any medical information about the flight prior to accepting a mission, as this might skew them into making a decision that may stretch the boundaries of safety and good judgement.

Each member of the crew has a job to do, is constantly listening to the radios(air traffic control, public safety, general aviation frequencies), scanning the skies for other air traffic, obstructions, etc. As they say in the military - Situational Awareness. No one gets to nap while the pilot flies the aircraft... We also have the collision avoidance system mentioned in your video, as well as a terrian avoidance system. The former advises of traffic in the area that you may not see, the latter about changes in the terrain as an early warning system. We receive daily shift briefings, do a walk-around the aircraft prior to lifting on each leg of the mission, perform a "fire guard"(crew member posts outside the aircraft to monitor for any engine fire that may occur during engine startup), and conduct post flight debriefs after every flight. Our pilots and mechanics perform daily checks, as well as weekly, monthly and periodic checks for systems based upon hours flown. Every 800 hours, the aircraft is torn down system by system to check for mechanical, electrical or hydraulic issues or failures that might otherwise not be noted by a chip light or sensor. Our medical crews also check every piece of equipment on each shift. Every crew member receives semi-annual safety training, including annual air medical crew resource management training. My program also does "dunker training", simulating a water landing. This provides team members with practical experience of how to handle an emergent ditching on the water.

Air Methods is in the process of outfitting aircraft throughout the country with NVG. Programs who fly in mountainous terrain or rural areas without ambient light are given priority. That said - NVG ARE NOT DESIGNED TO REPLACE GOOD JUDGEMENT, OR MAKE A MISSION FLYABLE WHEN WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE BELOW MINIMUMS. They are a great safety tool and no doubt have saved many lives. I look forward to the day when my aircraft gets them. Sorry for the soapbox speech, just thought that I would share a perspective of someone who is on the job, and a bit of our daily experience. We now return you to your regular programming...

David

Thanks glad you liked it! I did not shoot the green air life stuff, someone else here did and she used shutter speed which is akin to 1/500 or so in still (camera can do 1/250- 1/2000) and that's why the blades blurred. We are shooting on XD-cam mid grad cameras and they are not the best (meant for wedding videos not news gathering) and the shutter is wierd compared to my old camera (BETA-SX). I do use the sticks as much as I can, I am an NPPA award winning photojournalist and I have always believed in the fundamentals. Sorry if that sounds cocky, I don't mean it to. There is a lot of really bad shooting out there and I appologize for what you maybe watching, it is not what I like to see either. Denver is a great market for Photojournalist and we have always had a high bar for storytelling and quality (Ballon boy aside). I take the same pride in my work as I do in my models, it's about qaulity not quanity.

Everett,

Thanks for your reply. You're not being cocky, just being proud of your work. I was a NPPA member a long time ago also. Always strive to be better!

By the way, what's your last name?

Also, thanks to Dan for posting the interior photos, I need the reference too.

Tim Bradley

Seattle