1/48 Italeri UH-1H RAAF 'Barracuda' Huey

Now you're talking....... :)

Smooth paint job my friend.

You know I really like that color combo.

Oliver

Cheers Oliver,

Going to look heaps better when the green and black are on though. There's only two curved lines on this whole thing and they're underneath!

Regards

Andrew :thumbsup:

Cheers Oliver,

Going to look heaps better when the green and black are on though. There's only two curved lines on this whole thing and they're underneath!

Regards

Andrew :cheers:

Andrew

Are you going to post shade ???

OLiver

Hi guys,

Well it's 0045hrs here in Oz but I thought I'd let you see what stage three of the painting looks like. I'm going to have to go back and re-do some of the light tan again but the scheme is now starting to look effective. All I need now is the matt black which should be done tomorrow night (fingers crossed).

Oliver I'm not overly confident on post shading so I'll go with the straight painting then wash and weather later which will give it a bit of a post shade look to it like I did with my 'Ned Kelly'.

DSC04001.jpg

DSC04002.jpg

DSC04003.jpg

Regards

Andrew :worship:

Wow it looks awesome. I really like it,

That camo work is flawless.

I undestand about not feeling overly confident with adding post shading. Maybe you could only add in some major area like connection between tail boom and fuselage, around mainrotor housing. A very diluted Nato black, think of it as doing exhaust stains but much more diluted. Not trying to push you to do anything you dont want....

Oliver

Cheers Fellas,

This has certainly been a test of patience and a lot of small bits of tape. I might give your suggestion a crack Oliver if I can work up the courage.

Regards

Andrew :stooges:

Andrew.

With the camo job you just finished, adding shaddows should be a cake walk.

Never know until you try. You can use your airbrush at lower setting( make sure you have the right mixture of paint and thinner. small thin coats. If you dont want to use your airbrush, you can use migments. Remember you may have to go a liitle darker because you will loose the intencity of the pigments once you flat coat it. Thats why airbrush has more control.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Oliver

Well,

It's another late one for me 0015hrs but I thought I'd let you guys have a look at the four colours together before I trundle off to bed. There are three areas that I'm going to have to touch up, these being the roof where the really light tan is in the midlle (shouldn't be there), the starboard tail mount area and underneath where I've put some overspray. I've painted the rotating light on the top red/silver and painted the exhaust. When this is done I'll add the remaining P/E door handles and look at maybe some post shading-no promises. I hope you like the look, it certainly is effective in reality.

DSC04010.jpg

DSC04011.jpg

DSC04012.jpg

See ya tomorrow

Andrew :jaw-dropping:

Thanks again gents for the comments. It's a stinking hot day here in Melbourne today so in the comfort of the air conditioner I've fixed up the paint issues just having to do the medium green bottom again. As the paint dried quickly I managed to put the aerials on the roof minus wire cutter, re-attach the bump bar on the tail, paint and clean up the rotors which are faded to the colour of the Huey and dry the main one. When I next get some time I'll work on the tail rotor and gear box and maybe some dry brushing on the worn parts. Here's how she looks now.

Regards

Andrew :cop:

DSC04013.jpg

DSC04015.jpg

DSC04016.jpg

Thanks Ray,

This is obviously the tail end, can you show me where it attaches to the boom? No doubt you have a pic???? Also, do you have a pic of the other end tie down harness? I have a pic which shows like a three way strap around the rotor tip which is tied to the steps at the other end.

Regards

Andrew :bandhead2:

Thanks Ray,

This is obviously the tail end, can you show me where it attaches to the boom? No doubt you have a pic???? Also, do you have a pic of the other end tie down harness? I have a pic which shows like a three way strap around the rotor tip which is tied to the steps at the other end.

Regards

Andrew -_-

Andrew,

Here is one of Wayne Mutza's pics of a Luftwaffe bird from 1987. The rotor is secured with the same metal hook as on the back with a strap looped through it and tied to the skids.

UH-1D%20Luftwaffe%2070%2077%20WGAF-LTG%2061%20Landsberg%2009-19-87.jpg

There are any number of combinations or wraps that can be done around the tailboom. Here is one of the more common where the strap is looped through the antenna and wrapped around the stinger. Also the size of the metal hook can vary from fairly short to really long like the one you see here.

Ray

UH-1Hbladetiedowns5.jpg

OMG Ray, I remember fields full of Hueys like that when I was a kid at Rucker. In fact, that area in the above pic looks familiar...nuts.

Andrew, I am looking forward to how you do this tie-down. I am working on a Huey as a test kit that I want to try stuff like this on (old Esci kit). Keep up the great work!

Brandon

UH-1Hbladetiedowns5.jpg

Imagine being handed the keys to a Huey and getting sent out into that field to find it. You'd be ready to crank it in about a week!

LD.

Thats a good question....how do you find the one you are supposed to fly??? Maybe the Army has a shuttle service...NOT.

Anyway back to Andrew stunning beast. Andrew you Huey is just amazing. I really love that paint job.

Oliver