Ken, congrats on yet another amazing Hip. I wish I could build them as quickly and as well as you do. Have you any plans to build a CIA Hip? I'd love to see you work your magic on a "Black Ops" Hip.

LD.

Thanks LD....

I haven't planned on a CIA Hip - I do intend to make a Boscombe Down Hip - in 'Raspberry Ripple' colours.

They are ex-Bulgarian Mi-17s - currently being used by the UK military - to train Afghan pilots - all very 'hush-hush' :whistle:

The only changes are the bigger fuel tanks - and a similar fit of ESM 'boxes' to the Afghan Hip - plus external and internal cockpit armour.

It's the colour scheme that makes it attractive...... this is just one of the hundreds of reference photos available.

I might take a break from Hips for a while though..... :doh:

Cheers

Ken

Que ???

What flare boxes ???

I can't see any on the photo refs I have been using :- http://www.planes.cz/en/photo/1065973/mil1...kabul-kbl-oakb/

If you have any other photos....

Cheers

Ken

I think that picture was taken when the helicopter was on a test flight or something, when it wasn't going 'over the fence'. Normally two flare boxes are fitted on either side of the helicopter. You modeled the mounts for them, on the aft fuselage.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address for a close up.

• 3 years later...

I see, you did a lot of amazing work from nothing. Actually, this is Mi-8MT (or Mi-17) with shorter TV-3-117 engines (Mi-8 has longer TV-2-117) which intakes start just behind the roof entry opening.

And a question - why you have kind of engine in the place of the main gearbox??? I mean in the opened cowling... Why you did not look at even one single picture of this area???

I see, you did a lot of amazing work from nothing. Actually, this is Mi-8MT (or Mi-17) with shorter TV-3-117 engines (Mi-8 has longer TV-2-117) which intakes start just behind the roof entry opening.

And a question - why you have kind of engine in the place of the main gearbox??? I mean in the opened cowling... Why you did not look at even one single picture of this area???

if you have any pic frome this area please send me

fraydontavasoli@yahoo.com

Edited by ft-model

If you just put Mi-17 or Mi-8MT walkaround into THE GOOGLE...

Here is my ten seconds work!:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/76062-mil-mi-17-hip/

Although it is Mi-171, main gearbox is externally the same... Pity, when you put so much work to make whole new resin model to scrap it by putting something like engine into the gearbox area...