Italeri JAS-39D Gripen in 1:48

• 1 month later...

Johan

This build slipped past me somehow. Your progress is very nice and I am taking notes for a couple of upcoming builds myself. I really like what you did with the seats and I am very curious how you will manage to get the cockpit fitted properly.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Awan,

Well, only a little progress... But all the cockpit parts are installed and now I'm filling the panel lines with CA glue so I can rescribe them.

Johan

This build slipped past me somehow. Your progress is very nice and I am taking notes for a couple of upcoming builds myself. I really like what you did with the seats and I am very curious how you will manage to get the cockpit fitted properly.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks a lot Mike!

Here are som pics on the latest work. The cockpit fitted OK after some work, in some places it is to wide and had to be trimmed. Here you can also see the dreadful panel lines I'm working with now...

g27.jpg

Had to add some extra plastic to the inner side wall because of the trimmed rear wall. But it was easier than I thought it would be and turned out nicely.

g28.jpg

g29.jpg

Since I'm building a test aircraft it has some extra "devices" on the sides of the HUD that are not present on other Gripens. The one on the left side is a box with some extra switches, one the right side is a camera (I think).

g30.jpg

g31.jpg

Cheers!

/Johan

I can´t see any pics :(

The pictures seems to be back again... Having some problems with Telia where the pictures are stored, they go offline sometimes and I don't know why.

Anyway, here are some fresh pics of the cockpit. You can also see some CA glue on the panel lines that I'm going to sand down.

g34.jpg

g35.jpg

g36.jpg

Cheers,

/Johan

Are the panel lines the biggest issue with this kit? I'm looking for a Gripen at some point...

Hi MarkW,

Well, the panel lines is an issue but not biggest one I'm afraid... You need to put in a lot of work to make a fairly accurate replica of the Gripen. If you buy the a Best Choice Gripen kit you get a lot of resin that fixes the most obvious errors but you need some skill and a lot of patiens to get it done. Areas that certainly need some attention are:

- The cockpit is very poor. Use CMK cockpit instead.

- The new APU bulge if you build a C or D Gripen.

- Sink marks on multiple places on the wing.

- The panel lines are OK in some places but terrible in others.

- All the antennas needs to be replaced.

- The leading edge of the fin is very blunt, sand it sharp. And alter the shape of the jamming pod on the fin.

- replace the exhaust with a resin one from CMK or Aires (the Aires on is best in my opinion.

These are the obvious things I remember right now, but there are more things to fix.

Or you could build it straight out of the box, and it will look as a Gripen. :cheers:

Cockpit looks awesome, very clean!

Thanks alrite! I love the cockpits, to me that is the most fun part in the whole building process!

Cheers,

/Johan C