Tamiya 1/48 Fw-190 A8/A8R2

the progress so far...not much, but its a start.

Painted the cockpit RLM66, then dry brushed before using a toothpick to pick out some details in red and black. Then put some future on the bigger instruments to create "glass"

Might dry brush again over the instruments to pick out more of the dials...should have thought of that before the future...live and learn.

IMG_2187.jpg

Ken

Slow progress on this one.

The cockpit is pretty much done, just have to do some touch ups on the seat, and put on the PE seatbelts.

That will have to wait until next year tho, as I am heading back to Nigeria for another month of fun and games.

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

Ken

• 5 weeks later...

Got the Butcher Bird closed up. Still some filling and sanding to do, especially the wing roots, my old favorite.

The Cockpit as it is now, with Eduard seatbelts.

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

The plane in all its glory. Really like the look of the 190, beautiful design.

IMG_2231.jpg

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I'm going to have to pull out of the group build, and continue this one over in the in-progress forum.

I did some poor research and got the wrong paint for the plane, and combined with me going back to Nigeria for a month today, I won't have time to finish this one in time.

This is the progress so far....

Masking the cockpit. This is the first time I am using masks as opposed to hand painted canopy. Bit nervous about the outcome....

DSCN1154.jpg

DSCN1155.jpg

Priming...

DSCN1158.jpg

Painted the blue undersides and the black cowling, then cut out some paper to attempt the upper fuselage camo pattern...and then discovered the paint snafu.....

Its resting place until next month.....

DSCN1164.jpg

Ken

Ken,

What 'mark' FW 190 is Red One in your Defence of the Reich banner?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark, that's a Fw 190A-8/R2. "Red 1" in the foreground is the aircraft of Klaus Bretschneider of 5./JG 300.

• 1 month later...

Still plodding along. The FW-190 spirits are against me on this one.

First my airbrush took a dump, so I ran to Michaels and bought a new one....1min into spraying the compressor said goodnight.

So I'm now using canned air, which is cool as it lets me experiment with air pressures. Never had a regulator before!!

So got the topside camo done, will do the necessary touch ups and mottling tomorrow.

First try at luftwaffe camo, so be kind!

DSCN1197.jpg

DSCN1196.jpg

DSCN1195.jpg

DSCN1193.jpg

DSCN1192.jpg

Thanks for looking

Ken

Just like Mike said Ken, a little mottling, and she's going to look GREAT!!!

If you'd like a scan or two of the colour profiles of "White 2" for the mottling layout they show, fire me a PM and I'll get those sent out to you ASAP.

How about that though eh? If I can get mine done, we'll have both White 2 and White 1. Bomber formations in the 'Dropping Iron GB' will never see it coming...

The mottling and most of the touch ups completed.

Looking at getting a gloss coat on it today, as well as some of the other stuff like gear, gear doors etc etc done.

Can't make up my mind if I should use the drop tank or not.

As for the mottling, decided that less is more, and went with the pattern in the instructions.

It's my first try at this, so I am fairly happy with it, but would have liked smoother edges....

DSCN1200.jpg

DSCN1199.jpg

DSCN1198.jpg

Kostucha, there seems to be some confusion about my intended markings.

I am finishing this one as Willi Maximowitz's Black 8.

Thanks for the offer though, and all the nice comments!!

Ken

Kostucha, there seems to be some confusion about my intended markings.

I am finishing this one as Willi Maximowitz's Black 8.

Whoops! Sorry about that Ken... either way, they wont see it coming :jaw-dropping:

Mottling looks good though. First time? Nice job. I can't wait for more. That black/white/black tail band is going to POP over your paint job, that's for sure!

Mark.

Almost there...

This is how it stands so far.

Need some weathering, canopy work and some small stuff..then its done.

Oh, and the prop is just put there for show...also needs some work.

Still undecided about the drop tank....

DSCN1209.jpg

DSCN1208.jpg

Any comments welcome!!

Ken