1/72 Italeri B-52H

Finished this up a few months back; finally got around to taking some pictures.

Thanks for looking,

Jonah

Tell me the AMT/Italeri BUFF doesn't build up into a fantastic model! Yes...it's a PITA to build. But man o man if you model it right...it's awesome. That's the difference. In the right hands...it can turn out awesome. Got 4 in my stash.

Beautiful build!

Paul

Thanks for all the kind comments, much appreciated.

Am I right in saying the bombs do not come with the kit? How about the pylons?

GBU-31v1s on the left pylon were from Golden Dragon; GBU-31v3s on the right were from DrPepper Resins, very nicely done.

Pylons were kitbashed, I started with the Golden Dragon HSAB set, which in my opinion had some shape and size issues. (BMD HSABs currently available are a definite improvement over the original GD offering). Due to these problems, I only used the front half of the stub pylon and the 18 MAU-12 racks from the GD set.

I used an adapter beam from the Monogram B-52D kit (separated from the MERs and AGM-28 pylon), and mated it with the front half of a stub pylon from the GD set. I replaced the aft end of the stub pylon with Evergreen stock. I then cast a couple of resin copies of the kitbashed pylons. The GD MAU-12s were then added to each resin copy.

The completed pylons were then mated to pylon-wing adapters cut from the kit's ALCM pylons, and new buffer fairings were made from thin Evergreen sheet.

Jonah

Edited by Gator52
Thanks for all the kind comments, much appreciated.

GBU-31v1s on the left pylon were from Golden Dragon; GBU-31v3s on the right were from DrPepper Resins, very nicely done.

Pylons were kitbashed, I started with the Golden Dragon HSAB set, which in my opinion had some shape and size issues. (BMD HSABs currently available are a definite improvement over the original GD offering). Due to these problems, I only used the front half of the stub pylon and the 18 MAU-12 racks from the GD set.

I used an adapter beam from the Monogram B-52D kit (separated from the MERs and AGM-28 pylon), and mated it with the front half of a stub pylon from the GD set. I replaced the aft end of the stub pylon with Evergreen stock. I then cast a couple of resin copies of the kitbashed pylons. The GD MAU-12s were then added to each resin copy.

The completed pylons were then mated to pylon-wing adapters cut from the kit's ALCM pylons, and new buffer fairings were made from thin Evergreen sheet.

Jonah

Thanks Jonah, looks like I am on the hunt for the GBU-31s and other bits.

:salute:

Freakin great!!!!!!! Very nice job,any issues with the build itself?

Probably the trickiest part was getting the wing flex right...I made modifications to the wing box so the wings would flex down; the challenge was to flex them down just enough for the tip gear to touch, but not so much that it puts undue strain on the tip gear, as the outrigger struts are flimsy. Scale Aircraft Conversions' metal struts weren't available yet when I built this, I would expect the metal tip gear struts would help mitigate this problem.

Other main challenge was attaching the external fuel tanks to the wing....the fit is terrible, and due to the shapes involved it's nearly impossible to clamp it in the correct position while the adhesive sets. I wound up with tough gaps to fill, particularly around the aft end of the pylons. In hindsight, it might be slightly easier to attach the tanks to the lower wing half before joining the upper and lower wings. Might try that next time.

Thanks again for the kind comments!

Jonah

Edited by Gator52
Probably the trickiest part was getting the wing flex right...I made modifications to the wing box so the wings would flex down; the challenge was to flex them down just enough for the tip gear to touch, but not so much that it puts undue strain on the tip gear, as the outrigger struts are flimsy. Scale Aircraft Conversions' metal struts weren't available yet when I built this, I would expect the metal tip gear struts would help mitigate this problem.

Jonah

Very nice job on her.

Been a few years since I have was around them. Far as I recall tho, the gear does not need to touch the ground. I don't recall any rhyme of reason to them either. Both could be off the ground, both could be on the ground or one could be touching and other not.

This is all going off of memory tho.

Jonah, did you display this model at Scalefest in Grapevine back in May? If so, I was very impressed. Its stunning in person. I took pics of your model, but at the time, my technical knowledge on taking photo's of models was lacking (my f-stop settings were way off) & most of the pics weren't so good.

I'll post the decent shots if you'd like.

Ish