Huey II beauty shots

Sting, would you mind posting more pics of your Huey II model, it looks great.

Rod.

As you requested. I have to make one of these models for each of the members of my unit for a total of 12. I carved the hoist from a small block of resin after taking measurements from our hoist on the helicopter. The skid cross-tubes are made from wire coat hangers. I also moved the tail rotor on the other side of the vertical stab. I made the decals myself and as you can tell, the Kern County Sheriff on the sliding doors is hand painted. Another member of the unit and I chipped in and had a friend of his make professional decals for the Kern County Sheriff. His friend owns a web site, Code 3 Decals, which makes custom decals for collectors of die-cast emergency vehicles. The next models will look better than this one. Enjoy!

DSCN0027.jpg

DSCN0028.jpg

DSCN0033.jpg

DSCN0034.jpg

DSCN0035.jpg

DSCN0037.jpg

DSCN00321.jpg

Sting,

Thanks for posting more pics of your Kern County Huey II. If you have to build 12 more, you might consider getting Joseph Osborne at Fireball Modelworks to help out with the decals. He does great custom work and Hueys are one of his favorite subjects as you can see from his page. Anyway, I thought I'd throw that out as another option.

Ray

Sting,

Thanks for posting more pics of your Kern County Huey II. If you have to build 12 more, you might consider getting Joseph Osborne at Fireball Modelworks to help out with the decals. He does great custom work and Hueys are one of his favorite subjects as you can see from his page. Anyway, I thought I'd throw that out as another option.

Ray

I considered contacting Joe at Fireball, but I spoke to other decal manufacturers and their quotes were way more than we were willing to pay. There would have to be a lot of other modelers interested in building the sheriff's helicopter, so I figured the same would be with Fireball. I don't know the guy at Code 3, but my buddy and co-worker does and he did us a favor by designing and printing the decals for the sliding doors. The price was right and he made enough decals for twenty models, so I have plenty for the other models to be built. The badge he made for the small, hinged doors didn't match what's on the actual bird, but I made those myself and they turned out really well. I considered sending Fireball Modelwork walk around photos just in case Joe wants to print them up. He designed decals for the Kern County Fire Dept, so he may be interested anyway.

I considered contacting Joe at Fireball, but I spoke to other decal manufacturers and their quotes were way more than we were willing to pay. There would have to be a lot of other modelers interested in building the sheriff's helicopter, so I figured the same would be with Fireball. I don't know the guy at Code 3, but my buddy and co-worker does and he did us a favor by designing and printing the decals for the sliding doors. The price was right and he made enough decals for twenty models, so I have plenty for the other models to be built. The badge he made for the small, hinged doors didn't match what's on the actual bird, but I made those myself and they turned out really well. I considered sending Fireball Modelwork walk around photos just in case Joe wants to print them up. He designed decals for the Kern County Fire Dept, so he may be interested anyway.

Sting,

Contact Joesph and ask. I'm not going to speculate on the cost, but I can tell you that Joseph is VERY reasonable and his work is top notch. His sheets are printed on continuous film using an ALPS printer so short run stuff isn't a problem. Almost every helo I have built (including the trainers in my signature) has Fireball decals. Good luck with all your Huey II's.

Ray