Tu-22 Backfire

Being as there's no such thing as the "FS595-ski", you're pretty much left with looking at photos and picking the grey you think best. I can tell you that the Russians aren't nearly as anal about color matches as many western air forces are, so don't get too pedantic about exact shades.

J

As noted, there's not an exact color standard, but the color doesn't seem to vary as much as some other from the Soviet/Russian inventory. Having seen the real thing up close, I would say Dark Ghost Gray (FS36320) is a pretty close match "out of the bottle." Using anything close, no one can tell you authoritatively that you're wrong.

If you use acrylics, Akan, a Russian paint manufacturer, is now being stocked by Linden Hill, and they do the color - AKAN 73059 Gray (faded) overall airframe for MiG-25/31; An-8/12/24/26; early MiG-21/23; Tu-22m2/m3

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/akan.htm

I *think* white ensign do the color as well, though I don't know how close the match actually is. (yes, there's variation and all that, but you know what I mean)

Lee,

The Backfire colour can range from a very faded light grey, to a medium grey on freshly painted airframes.

Check out this photo - http://www.enemyforces.net/aircraft/tu22m_2.jpg

Note the airframe at far right - freshly painted darker grey in contrast to the other two faded airframes.

(there is a better version of this photo - taken at Ostrov, that shows the darker colours better - a Google search should find it).

I used a rattle can of auto car spray on my Tu-22M2 Backfire - decanted and airbrushed.....

model_005.jpg

The colour is Ford Polar Grey !!!!!!! - and I defy anyone to tell me it's wrong.

Don't get too hung up over modern Russian aircraft colours - the shades vary such a lot.

If you really want to get anal about painting a Backfire, the front fuselage up to the wing root should be darker anyway - because they are normally covered by a canvas 'bag' for protection from the elements and the nose area fades less than the rest of the fuselage.

Happy modelling :cheers:

Ken

PS - On a slight nit-pick, you should have written 'Tu-22M' - the Tu-22 is the Blinder, not the Backfire. :cheers: