Like styrene crack these Corsairs they are.... I've built plenty of 1/48 Tamiya Corsairs, so i decided to see how their 72nd scale little brothers go together. Short answer: just like the 48s, only you spend most of your time under the magnifying lamp. I appreciate not having to mess with the wing-fold (72nd kits' wings are 1-piece), since most of the Corsairs I build are land-based, but I think I'll stick to the 1/48s to save my eyes in the long run. Anywho, here they are :

The Birdcage in "marine Dream" markings. I liked the scheme so much when I did the 48 scale kit, I decided to repeat it in 1/72. Both kits used the Sky Models Corsair decal sheet. Besides the decals, they're strictly OOB; I didn't even add brake lines this time around.

bird150.jpg

bird250.jpg

bird350.jpg

bird850.jpg

bird650.jpg

The -1A was originally going to be a New Zealand bird, but Sky Model really screwed the pooch with their markings, so I went with a VMF-215 bird out of Torokina in 1944. Unusual in that it's a 2-tone instead of the standard 3-color scheme.

1a150.jpg

1a250.jpg

1a450.jpg

1a650.jpg

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do everyone's work here.

Jeff

Earl's Hobby Hangar

woooooooooow Jeff..................

That is one amazing little cage. What an awesome job and a pleasure to behold. I absolutely love the paint man. Congratulations on a VERY successful build. I can only hope my 72 scale Helldiver turns out half as nice.

Ben Jakobsen

Edited by bendenna

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Always appreciated.

I love them! Nice work with the paint - postshaded panel lines?

Both actually. I've switched my technique over the last several models to using thinner and thinner mixtures of paint. On these two models (built side by side), I'm down to skim milk consistency which goes on almost translucent. This allowed me to use pre-shaded panel lines effectively where before they were usually gone after 1-2 coats. This is also the first time I didn't use a wash on the panel lines and just used an extra this mix of base color, NATO black and hull red in the airbrush with low pressure. I now prefer this as it's more controllable and doesn't leave the hard 'stain lines' that i always got before (especially on the decals). When I overdid it, which happened a lot during the trial phase, I just went over that with a thinned lightened mixture to blend it back. That actually gave me more tonal variation and I didn't have to lighten/darken the base color as much as I have in the past. I used 2-3 tones this time, where i usually had to use 5-6 to get the same effect in the past.

Very nice Corsairs, Jeff. Agreed- Plastic Model Builder's Crack!!

Innovative choice of paint schemes as well. I have one built as a Brewster F3A, and i have 4 more in the pipeline. So nice to see something OTHER than a VF-17 aeroplane.

Thanks for posting!

david