Just watch the pictures. Tyres have been mounted as they came. Quite often you could see both types on one craft. Very common in Europe, but took me a while to find out if something like that happened in Japaneese front too. This case happened to take place on the one of most famous photos of the area - a Mustang with Tex Hill on the wing. Oh boy, I could have started with this.

To be honest I am not sure yet, I am building the Tamiya P-51B kit but I will not be using the kit decals. I still have to shop for a cool decal sheet for this bird.

Picking out a scheme and researching it are half the fun.

Careful, Mustangs are addictive!

John

Edited by John Krukowski

Would you be able to research which style of tires a plane had? In war time would they not just use what was available?..if yes then I should be able to use whatever style of tires I like, correct?

I went through Roger Freeman's book "Mustangs at War". Seems the B & C's almost all had the shrouds removed while the D's and K's retained them. Except for the RAF version, which mostly had smooth tires, most if not all of the Mustangs pictured had the diamond pattern.

Would you be able to research which style of tires a plane had? In war time would they not just use what was available?..if yes then I should be able to use whatever style of tires I like, correct?

By Looking at Photo's basically .

For example I've had a P51K-1 /Kittyhawk IVA on the go for a while . It is KH716 of 3 RAAF in Italy Late 1944 .

Block tread tyres and un- shrouded exhausts .So try to find a good photo and remember that the photo shows that A/C at a particular moment in time

Cheers

Terry McGrady

Edited by Terry McGrady