EAV-8B Harrier Weapon Load

Those bombs under the RAF GR-7 are GBU-22s, the Paveway III version of the GBU-12 (Paveway II) I asked over on Z5 about them as they are included in the Trumpy 32nd kit and I asked about who uses them - they seem to be more common in NATO than in the US forces. You'll see pics of them slung under Rafales, this is the first I'd seen of them with an RAF aircraft

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts
  • 3 weeks later...
Those bombs under the RAF GR-7 are GBU-22s, the Paveway III version of the GBU-12 (Paveway II) I asked over on Z5 about them as they are included in the Trumpy 32nd kit and I asked about who uses them - they seem to be more common in NATO than in the US forces. You'll see pics of them slung under Rafales, this is the first I'd seen of them with an RAF aircraft

Matt

-OK, I hope I can see a comprehensive photo. They look externally the same, I think.

Yes all stations can carry AG weapons. As to why the Marnies, and by default the Spanish and Italians, never added the extra stations for the Sidewinders to free up a station for more AG stores, two things come to mind - shortsightedness and money.

Someone in the USMC/USN hierarchy beleived that the Winder exhaust would burn the tyres on the outriggers.

As for the bombs on the GR9, they are actually Paveway IVs - Note the PWII style forward seeker head. they also have a GPS capability, in order to give a weapon with the equivalent capability to a JDAM

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/paveway4.cfm

http://www.raytheon.com/newsroom/rtnwcm/gr...4_datasheet.pdf

The GR5/7/9 never had a gun, although some aircraft carried empty gun pods. The designator pod shown on the port pylon in the photo is a Sniper pod, the centre line one a DJRP Digital Joint Recce Pod (http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/reconnaissancepod.cfm). They also now carry a Terma countermeasures pod on the starboard fuselage pylon location

Edited by Dave Fleming

Matt

They were only cleared for use about 3 months before the Harrier left the Sandpit.