1/48 biplane rigging

OK I'm building a 1/48 biplane for the first time. I'm also going to try rigging..(I figured I'd go all out for the first one...lol) My question is what's my options...thread, guitar strings, stretched spruce? Basically I'm looking for the easiest way...I've done some searches on the internet and found stretch thread 350 that modelers have used but the only site is in Europe. Could someone head me in the right direction...once again thanks :woot.gif:

OK I'm building a 1/48 biplane for the first time. I'm also going to try rigging..(I figured I'd go all out for the first one...lol) My question is what's my options...thread, guitar strings, stretched spruce? Basically I'm looking for the easiest way...I've done some searches on the internet and found stretch thread 350 that modelers have used but the only site is in Europe. Could someone head me in the right direction...once again thanks :worship:

You need look no further than right next door in the Classic Aviation forum! There is a pinned thread on rigging.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....showtopic=52937

Also, I highly recommend you pay a visit to the Aerodrome forum where all things WWI are spoken.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/models/

I'm fairly new to WWI myself and have done some rigging with stretched sprue and fine stainless wire. On my current project, a Wingnut 1/32 LVG, I'm using 2 lb. fishing line combined with a little product known as Bob's Buckles.

http://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Eric

G'Day Luftwaffe1. I have 2 pieces of advice for you. 1 - EZ-Line. This is an fine elastic ribbon. I find it excellent for rigging. 2 - change the way you build and rig a biplane. My sequence evolved over several years. The sequence (for a standard-form biplane) is this:

A - build up to the lower wing attached to the fuselage and paint & decal it all (inc top wing).

B - attach a length of the EZ-Line, by its centre, to the strut sockets (on the top) of the lower wing with Superglue.

C - attach the top wing upside-down onto a piece of cardboard (or similar) with blu-tack (or similar).

D - attach the struts (& carbanes) into the sockets of the lower wing. Now, while the glue is still soft,

E - dry-fit the upper tips of the struts (the whole model is now upside-down) into the strutt sockets on the underside of the upper wing. Brace the model in place with blocks, blutack, what-ever. Ensure that ALL tops are in their sockets, and that the two wings are square with each-other. Let it dry for a whole night.

F - Lift the model off then draw each EZ-Line over the top of its adjacent strut and secure it ther with Superglue. The EZ-Line should be only LIGHTLY tensioned. Too much, and it'll pull the carbanes/struts out of line.

G - you should now be able to attach the top wing to the model, and the fit should be perfect. I prefer to attach the model (again, upside-down) to the top wing, but allow it to dry for 24-hours and when I remove the complete model from the card, touch only the top wing.

Try it on a cheap model, and good-luck. George, out...................

I generally follow the process outlined in majortomski's link, using nylon monofilament thread painted with Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal.

In a few places like the cabane struts I use ceramic "wonder wire" which is 0.006" thick, perfectly straight, stiff yet flexible and won't kink or hold a bend. I would use it for all the rigging except that the nylon monofilament actually lends quite a bit of strength to the model whereas the ceramic wire is strictly cosmetic.

As you can see in this pic of my Eduard Camel, the ceramic and painted monofilament are indistinguishable from one another:

IMG_0030.jpg

The only source I know of for the ceramic wire is:

Precision Enterprises

P.O. Box 97F

Springfield, Vermont 05156

Tel (802) 885-3094 (after 5PM Monday to Friday, 10 AM to 5pm on Saturday)

They don't have an online store, but they take CCs over the phone and their service is very good.

Cheers,

Tony

OK I'm building a 1/48 biplane for the first time. I'm also going to try rigging..(I figured I'd go all out for the first one...lol) My question is what's my options...thread, guitar strings, stretched spruce? Basically I'm looking for the easiest way...I've done some searches on the internet and found stretch thread 350 that modelers have used but the only site is in Europe. Could someone head me in the right direction...once again thanks :salute:

Aeroclub here in the UK do stretch thread http://www.aeroclub-models.com/p.html?n=1&c=ART003 or 10 thou brass wire http://www.aeroclub-models.com/s.html

Not used either myself and not dealt with them recently, so order at your own risk. However, I have used some of their accessories and kits in the past and they have a good reputation.

I used 7x (.004) fly fishing tippet on my Albatros D.Va. It's fine, strong and easy to work with. I predrilled the holes for the rigging then attached it. I used a soldering iron to tighten it. When all of that was done, I dullcoted everything. The only thing I would do differently is to drill the holes at the same angle the as the rigging. Tippet is a consistent thickness, flexible, inexpensive and easy to find.