IS the Revell 1/32 Eurofighter already in the market?

Gentlemen: Is the Revell 1/32 Eurofighter already in the market? I saw adverts about this kit in this month issues of several europeean model magazines and now this:

http://www.revell.de/en/products/model_kit...=04783&sp=1

Is the kit already in the shops? If so, what is the estimated price?

Are there any first impressions to share?

Thanks! :)

Gentlemen: Is the Revell 1/32 Eurofighter already in the market? I saw adverts about this kit in this month issues of several europeean model magazines and now this:

http://www.revell.de/en/products/model_kit...=04783&sp=1

Is the kit already in the shops? If so, what is the estimated price?

Are there any first impressions to share?

Thanks! :)

It is released next week and it will cost about 50 Euros (Hannants have it at £49.99 in the UK).

First impressions from looking at the test shots are very good. Far superior to the Trumpeter effort, although I am keen to get hold of the plastic so I can see what they have done with the intake.

Edited by Bobski

Well since its the Tranche1's that is service at the moment , and they are almost exclusively Air to air I guess it makes sense , it also keeps the cost down , how much of the Trumpter kits cost of £99 here in the Uk covers they cost of the air to ground weapons in the kit

I'm content with the air to air fit for the meantime , as I sit here typing I have a 111SQ Lightning on my left hand side , and on my right hand side a 111Sq Tornado F3, both in 32nd and a Typhoon will fit well into this happy home!, roll on next week!

Guys thank you all for your impressions.

I am trully amazed by the first pictures I'm seeing of this kit. Seems another extraordinary top quality and at the same time cheap model like Revell previously released Junkers 88. :angry:

Time to order one to my bench!

Looks good, but it looks like the only loadout included is A-A? All I see are AIM-9, AIM-120, Meteor, ASRAAM and IRIS-T. No A-G stuff or pylons. Still, I'll be getting one or two!

The kit only comes with air-to-air weapons and the only decal options are air-to-air only Tranche 1 jets.

Revell could have kept the cost down more if they deleted the full engine, or offset the cost of A-G weapons by deleting the engine. I think if you asked most modelers, they would rather have more weapons than an engine.

I'm quite happy to have the complete engines in the kit, but I suppose it's a matter of taste. I guess Revell decided it was cheaper to tool an engine than to tool a load of air-to-surface weapons completely from scratch (none of the air-to-surface weapons in the 1/48th or 1/72nd scale kits are able to be carried at the present time).

Edited by Bobski
(none of the air-to-surface weapons in the 1/48th or 1/72nd scale kits are able to be carried at the present time).

Most likely, the CAD drawings of the underfuselage stores in the smaller scale kits could easily be enlarged for a later "A2G" release of this kit. As I recall, the initial 1/72nd dual seat Typhoon lacked the air-to-ground expandables of the later single seat variation.

Cheers,

Andre

It does look lovely built up.

Anyone who sees both and still decides that the Trumpeter kit is the way forward needs their head examined as far as I'm concerned!

:lol:

We have a winner! And think about the price!

Thanks Deino for posting the link. Looks great and I think (on cost grounds alone) I'll go the Revell route. Agree with earlier comments about the lack of A/G weapons versus engine.....but that's just my opinion, tempting to build one with the panels 'dropped' underneath to show enging fitted...decisions, decisions.

Not seen any trumpeter 'phoons being posted in "work-in-progress" or "critique-corner" yet. Anyone out there willing to jump in & defend their kit? (Sprue shots looked good)

Not seen any trumpeter 'phoons being posted in "work-in-progress" or "critique-corner" yet. Anyone out there willing to jump in & defend their kit? (Sprue shots looked good)

In defence of Trumpeter, they do a twin-seater - who knows if we will get one from Revell? I'm not holding my breath considering we are still waiting for one in 1/48th, although the Revell guys at Telford said it was the most popular question that they were asked.

Other than that, the only good thing I have to say about the Trumpeter kit is that it has full intakes - not sure if the Revell kit does (although a pair of FOD guards would fix the problem if it didn't). ALL of the weapons pylons on the Trumpeter kit are wrong in either shape or size, with the inboard pylons so ludicrously undersized that they look completely ridiculous. The fuel tanks aren't brilliant and they do not have the integral pylons, instead being incorrectly loaded onto the standard centre-wing pylon. Don't even get me started on the shape of the DASS pods, the rear fuselage, the nozzles, the PIRATE or the canopy...

In short, Trumpy looks like a Typhoon if you just want a model of the jet and aren't fussed about accuracy. However, if you want a decent, well detailed and most of all accurate model of the jet then buy Revell and pocket the change.

Edited by Bobski
After a search I found a couple shops now pushed the date out to late Feb 2010 for the Revell 1/32 EF-2000. Hope its not true but I guess it will be worth the wait.

Revell's website still has it listed as December 2009, but that's starting to look less and less likely. Why can't companies stick with release dates? This is late, lord knows when we will see the Airfix SHARs (both were due originally in August and have yet to appear), Lusty is late, Airfix's 2009 limited edition Sea Vixen now won't be available until the back end of 2010. What's going on?

Current UK release date is December 17th - just in time for Christmas.

There's an in-box review on Britmodeler and my initial response from looking at close-ups of some of the parts is "good, but definitely in need of some aftermarket".

The intakes are cr*p. Seriously, utter rubbish. They've got the same breakdown and assembly as the 1/48th scale kit, except the back-piece now has a set of fan blades moulded on. Totally inaccurate and very poor - you will need FOD guards for this area. That said, I'm not surprised as I'd guessed they would do this when I saw the test-shots.

The cockpit is OK, but not particularly brilliant. With a good paint job and the canopy down it would look OK, but a resin one would be a definite improvement.

Engine bay - there is little to no detail in here, however it would not be too hard to add this.

Overall, however, I still vote for Revell over Trumpeter based on what I have seen. Trumpy's intakes win hands down, but that's where their advantage ends. The shape and detail issues with Trumpeter's kit are so serious that it is a complete non-starter for me. Revell are charging half the price for their kit, and even with the aftermarket that it will need you'll probably still spend less than you would on the Trumpeter kit. When you consider that Trumpeter's kit needs even more aftermarket detailing than Revell (all of the Trumpeter pylons need replacing, along with the canopy, the DASS pods and the exhausts), then Revell's is a real bargain.

Bobski , having studied the info on Britmodeller , I'd agree , designed to a price , letting the buyer deceide what to add , if anything .. intresting approach .

I'm kind of glad I ordered the Eduard colour PE sets for the trumpter Typhoon to be used on the Revell kit , (I do hope they fit!), and here's hoping that good old Mr Hannant gets our Kits shipped out before the Uk grinds to a halt for 2 weeks !

my initial response from looking at close-ups of some of the parts is "good, but definitely in need of some aftermarket".

Bobski,

So, after producing a pretty decent model in 1/48, they screw the pooch by messing with the cockpit, and not fixing the intakes.

I guess we wait for an aftermarket cockpit and intakes, right?

I'll deal with the intakes on my 1/48 scale Tiffie and wait for folks to come through on the above for the 1/32 version.

It's not like I don't have anything else to build!

Jim

Edited by JimC
Bobski,

So, after producing a pretty decent model in 1/48, they screw the pooch by messing with the cockpit, and not fixing the intakes.

I'll deal with the intakes on my 1/48 scale Tiffie and wait for folks to come through on the above for the 1/32 version.

Jim

Looks like we may need to scale up our 1/48 and 1/72 Typhoon intake covers!! :doh:

Bobski,

Yes and no. The cockpit is basically the same as the 1/48th and 1/72nd scale ones, which are good for those scales but not for the larger scale. As for the intakes, yes, they've dropped a ball with those, but saying that one has to take into consideration the price of the kit compared to other 1/32nd scale jets. The Revell kit is very very good and very well priced (it's the same price in the UK as the Tamiya F-16C/N Aggressor in 1/48th). Intakes aside, it is still a vastly superior representation "out of the box" than the Trumpeter kit.

Looks like we may need to scale up our 1/48 and 1/72 Typhoon intake covers!! :)

Definitely! Intake blanks, APU exhausts, Inboard Pylons, everything, all upscaled to 1/32 as soon as you can please :) I will definitely take at least two sets of each off you as I've got plans for at least two big Revell Tiffies - one with all the panels shut and one with them all open and the engine out!

I had a really good close look at the EJ200 engine today. The one in the kit is very good as is, and will also form the basis of a very nice super-detailing job (ie adding a lot more of the piping and detail). I can't wait to get stuck into one now!

Edited by Bobski