1/48 Hasegawa A-7E

• 4 weeks later...

First set of progress shots.

Cockpit parts

GB-7.jpg

Exhaust inner area, all ready and washed.

GB-4.jpg

Front wheel well. I was a bit too rough on the wash removal. Needs some touching up.

GB-1.jpg

GB-2.jpg

GB-3.jpg

I removed the intake end plate and placed a custom engine rotor. Doesn´t fit completely, but the point is to see the rotor from the front

GB-8.jpg

GB-9.jpg

GB-10.jpg

I decided to close up the instrument panels on the sides.

GB-6.jpg

Wheel well pre/painted white. Lots of detail here, which will be difficult to use a wash on without it becoming too heavy.

GB-5.jpg

That´s it. Nothing too exciting.

Edited by THX1138

Nice work so far. I normally paint wheel wells when plane is buttoned up. I might try doing the front one as you have done it cause it look like it will be easier to paint and detail. Is there much to touch up when in goes in to the body?

Nice work so far. I normally paint wheel wells when plane is buttoned up. I might try doing the front one as you have done it cause it look like it will be easier to paint and detail. Is there much to touch up when in goes in to the body?

I coated it with Future before the wash, and when it's not in the body or attached to the intake, the front-well side wall are easier to clean the wash off that way using cotton buds. I'd imagine if you put in some extra scratch built parts you will need to do the same and not attach the side wells yet or put it in the body. Much easier access. Basically get things done on the front wheel well before you put it in.

More progress.

Inevitable putty work done on the intake. My advice is to get to work on this as soon as you can, since you will spend lots of time on it. Constantly comming back after it's dried off.

GB-11.jpg

I put several flat white coats on it to fill in the smaller gaps and scratches. Like Mr Surfacer. Now I'll have to wait for the paint to fully dry before I sand it smooth for the final time.

GB-12.jpg

There are big gaps on the airbrake. It doesn't fit the body snug. Nearly impossible to fill this out, so I'll leave it and hope the wash will mask it out somewhat. I would think there's a bigger gap on the real plane also. Not like a normal panel line.

GB-13.jpg

I rescribed the lower intake panel lines.

GB-14.jpg

The kits worst area. Wing doesn't fit the top fuselage fully. Needs a lot of sanding on both front and back.

GB-15.jpg

GB-16.jpg

Cockpit area. Eh....well not much to say really.

GB-17.jpg

Now on to my Trumpy Tomcat.

Edited by THX1138

Great pic's and great work so far. The intake trunk will take a lot of work. I got the back end end looking good, but, noticed that the front is going to be a challenge. Thanks also for pointing out areas where there are other fit issues :coolio:

I've picked up from others on this group build that the speedbrake was usually left drooped down by six inches or so when the aircraft was parked. Might be good to model this to avoid the problem with the gap. That's what I'm planning to do :) When I built my A-7E a while ago, it took me a while to get the intake clear of gaps and bumps too. Yours is looking good now though. This time round, with my A-7D, I'll be covering the intake to recreate the aircraft in my banner. That means I don't have to worry about the intake seam this time round. :D

Keep up the good work THX1138.

Cheers, Ian

Edited by Ian Cooper
  • 4 weeks later...

I managed to sqeeze in some time for the GB in between the big F-14D build.

One of the more fun parts. Pre-shading. I used model-master acrylics for the black. But I again had a tough time getting the mix right. I need to keep the air-pressure down, to not flood the model with black. But then the paint has a tough time being sucked up the cup (bottom feed). So I thin it more. But when I thin it too much it becomes too fluidy and suddenly jets out the airbrush, again flooding it.

Still thinking of getting a top-feed airbrush that I hear works better in supplying an even-flow and needs less effort to suck up paint that is thinned less.

GB-18.jpg

GB-19.jpg

The tough part is comming up soon. Camouflage.

I just ordered a new top-feed airbrush. I really need to have things working like I want before I get to the camouflage. There's an Arctic F-16 in my stash, and ideas to make an Arctic A-10, and camouflaged F-18's too. So this will come in handy.

This is the one I picked.

http://hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/tools/b...reviewse_1.html

Edited by THX1138

Got my new airbush. Man that top-feed and finer needle makes a huge difference. Much much more control over what´s happening with the spray. So I couldn´t hold back any longer and went straight to the camouflage.

Here´s the first result. It will need some touching up and refining. And more dis-colouring later. I like the result. Much more fun to do these patterns then simply slapping on 2 shades of grey. I´m sure more camo scheme´s will be on my desk in the future, like F-16, A-10, F-18.

GB-20.jpg

GB-21.jpg

GB-22.jpg

Future coat applies. Slapped on the decals. Another future coat. All ready for the wash.

GB-23.jpg

GB-24.jpg

I f'ed up one of the redcock decals. It split so I need to repair that with some red paint.

On to the smaller bits like undercarriage, pylons and ordnance. Now where did I leave those MK82 snake-eyes ?

• 3 weeks later...

Time for some things that go : Boom !!!

There's been a lot of talk about the loadout on A-7's during Praying Mantis over here. Since the A-7 could haul pretty much anything, the options are almost limitedless. I also like varied loads, too also show the availble options. I don't think this actual load is 100% realistic from a pratical view, but technically it would be possible. AFAIK.

Triple Mk20's on station 1

Single Mk83 on station 2

Droptank on station 3

Sidewinder on station 4 (kit comes with AIM-9H, while I guess the L/M models where more common in the 80s')

Sidewinder on station 5 (kit comes with AIM-9H, while I guess the L/M models where more common in the 80s')

Droptank on station 6 (I didn't go with the FLIR pod)

GBU-12 on station 7

Walleye on station 8

GB-29.jpg

Gear is attached too.

GB-30.jpg

GB-31.jpg

Getting to the final stages.

• 1 month later...