Hi Guys,

As I am wrapping up my first rotorcraft project, I am thinking about making a simple display base for it. My only familiarity of the subject is civilian, hospital based helipads. As my USCG Jetranger would most likely be "based" at a Coast Guard facility, I am looking for ideas of what the ground markings would look like? I have already purchased a simple basswood plaque, wood stain, clear varnish etc. I plan to spray some 150 grit sandpaper as the asphalt "tarmac" This will be weathered with some washes/airbrushing, and the appropriate markings masked and painted(white/yellow lines, "H", etc.). Any ideas or photos would be appreciated. Thanks.

David

There is a free open helipad 2kms away from where I live,I cannot go to take some pictures in these days cause I got a flu,it comes with some italian warnings placed there and there,some lights around the perimeter a big white circle and H and some yellow paintings around,is very big a Chinook just landed there some during this summer.Well if you are not in a rush I can go there and take some pictures.

It's close to the beach next to a parking lot,surrounded by woods,there is a "pronto intervento" or whatever is clinic 500 meters from it.

Luigi

There is a free open helipad 2kms away from where I live,I cannot go to take some pictures in these days cause I got a flu,it comes with some italian warnings placed there and there,some lights around the perimeter a big white circle and H and some yellow paintings around,is very big a Chinook just landed there some during this summer.Well if you are not in a rush I can go there and take some pictures.

It's close to the beach next to a parking lot,surrounded by woods,there is a "pronto intervento" or whatever is clinic 500 meters from it.

Luigi

Luigi,

Thanks for your offer, but you needn't trouble yourself. Your description is great! I have gotten some good ideas on how to proceed. Now, I just have to find the time... I hope you're feeling better.

David

Just a quick bit of advice to be careful using sandpaper for the tarmac. I tried that years ago (with a 1/32 scale model at that!) and found the final results looked unrealistic and toylike. Since then I've simply airbrushed various shades of black and gray onto sheet plastic with much better results.

David

Here's what I did for my SH-60 helipad. I used 320 grit wet/dry sand paper(the black stuff not the wood stuff) and did several shades of gray and grimy black.

dsc01446096181.jpg

Some paint laid down, and future. Now it's time to dirty the deck!

dsc01496105505.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
hey, I might be using the same idea for that on my upcoming Academy MH-53E Sea Dragon. Just wondering, I can see that the catapult rails were scratchbuilt, but where do you get the PE tie down points?

Would these be available for 1/48?

Cheers,

Dom

they're RAST rails but yes they are scratch built. the Tie downs I got from an EBAY site out of ShangHai. I think I paid 19.00 free shipping for enough tie downs for three or four dio's. Just type Tie downs.

here's the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-48-U-S-NAVY-MODERN-C...=item53dd98a4e6

S/F

Dan

Edited by marine4 ever
  • 4 months later...
Hi Guys,

As I am wrapping up my first rotorcraft project, I am thinking about making a simple display base for it. My only familiarity of the subject is civilian, hospital based helipads. As my USCG Jetranger would most likely be "based" at a Coast Guard facility, I am looking for ideas of what the ground markings would look like? I have already purchased a simple basswood plaque, wood stain, clear varnish etc. I plan to spray some 150 grit sandpaper as the asphalt "tarmac" This will be weathered with some washes/airbrushing, and the appropriate markings masked and painted(white/yellow lines, "H", etc.). Any ideas or photos would be appreciated. Thanks.

David

David,

This may be far more information than you are looking for, but here's a link to the FAA Advisory Circular for heliport design, which includes diagrams for markings:

www.dot.ca.gov/hq/planning/aeronaut/documents/5390-2b.pdf

And the US Army standard:

www.wbdg.org/ccb/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_260_05a.pdf