Painting Finally Done!

It is finally done and I can continue with the F4!! Not aviation, but thought I'd share. Just dropped it off yesterday at the printer to have him run it over to get professionally photographed. From there, I'll start collaborating on print layouts for several edition types.

"Elbows at the Apex" "World Superbike Championship 2009" Battle between WSBK Rookie Ben "Elbows" spies Veteran Noriyuki "Nitro Nori" Haga. This was commissioned back in late June, and funny as it works out, Ben won the championship this year and Noriyuki placed 2nd in points...so the layout worked perfectly!

Oil on canvas, size is 36" x 60" (3x5 foot). This took about 4.5 months of consistently working on it everyday of the week, right around 8 hours each day on average. Somewhere around 650 hours on this approximately.

It was a commissioned piece, and as soon as I get it back from the fine arts printer, will be crated and off it goes to it's new home. Will leave this image up for a little while on flickr, then remove it. Don't like leaving even the bad pics on there for all to steal.

4150806446_6c48ccd57b_b.jpg

Thanks guys! I'm glad it's finally done! I try to paint what I know. I'm usually looking at my suits for logos, my boots to see details, out in the garage at the track slicks etc etc. :thumbsup: I have lots of props in my hands to make sure everything looks right :whistle:

Next on the list is a 70 Boss 302 (friend sent excellent reference photos of his recently restored '70 in grabber orange)

Either a Lambo or Ferrari for the local dealership

and then a 6 plane formation of the Blue Angels (I'm also friends with one of the previous Blues pilots, so he sent some excellent photos!)

Not necessarily in that order though...

but first, I must finish that F4, it's been staring at me waiting for a long time now.

Stunning work Darrell!!!... :worship:

The real painting must look amazing. I'm sure your clients will be very pleased with it.

but first, I must finish that F4, it's been staring at me waiting for a long time now.

No rest for the wicked ehh...I'm looking forward to it... :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Mark

I'm noticing either a 900RR, 929RR or 954RR in your avatar...can't tell which. I have a 1000RR currently! Can't beat Fireblades!

Much less exotic than any of those, but still great fun to ride. It's a '96 CBR900 imported into the UK from the good ol' USA. Currently residing in the garage in pieces due to a mishap some time ago, but hopefully it will be resurrected in time for next spring. I like 'Blades a lot and might get one of the newer ones, but the older models float my boat.

peebeep

Much less exotic than any of those, but still great fun to ride. It's a '96 CBR900 imported into the UK from the good ol' USA. Currently residing in the garage in pieces due to a mishap some time ago, but hopefully it will be resurrected in time for next spring. I like 'Blades a lot and might get one of the newer ones, but the older models float my boat.

peebeep

I'm quite familiar with the CBR 900RR's, great bikes!

If you're looking for parts, www.1000RR.net is a good spot to pick up stuff. A lot is from the '04-current, but there's a section on there for previous versions too. Might be able to get a hold of parts if you have a hard time finding any.

I previously had an F4i that got turned into a pretzel, so I can relate to your situation.

If at some point you go for a newer one, I'd recommend an 06-07. They were BIG improvements over the 04-05, even though they look really close, they made a lot of changes to engine, suspension and wheelbase. The '08 is one to stay away from (major re-design). They are apparently notorious for burning oil through either the rings or valves...usually around 1 quart per 1000 miles, or 1200km or close. For 09 they fixed the problem, but I know a lot of guys that went round and round with the dealer on their 08's. Most were able to have the engines rebuilt under Honda authority with revised kit parts. The handling improvements on the 08+ are excellent and it's a great bike, just with the oil problems it's hit or miss.

look great but I shadow is a little bit su smooth but I think it's your artistic insparation, and I like it :)

my own both bikes, one for the track and the other on for daily riding.

I sure could have used that reference photo some time ago. The spies reference I used didn't have the Sterilgarda sponsorship, since it was from earlier this year. As far as shadows go, I do what feels right. Can be very light and almost not even there, or very dark with hard edges. Depends on the sun angle and intensity.

Nice bikes! Keep an eye out for my 1098 painting coming this winter. A friend sent me some shot of his to go off of. His is yellow, but I may do it as red.

4150806446_6c48ccd57b_b.jpg

The Painting is OUSTSTANDIN..... AWESOME !!

The tilt of the two Championship Bikers gives you that perception of the speed and the urgency in their "movements" to get ahead..Just completely flawless.

Love the coloring which is not too over done and the detailing is FANTASTIC...

HOLMES... :thumbsup::worship: