Space Shuttle Cutaway-winter project

Thanx guys ... :thumbsup:

I've been getting some of the tedious little jobs done.

The RMS still needs a decal or two but the cameras and the end effector snares have been done. This is from the Real Space model update kit. And I've enhanced the RMS with a couple bits of styrene.

T-RMS.jpg

T-RMSendeffectorsnares.jpg

My father was a manufacturing manager for the small Canadian company who was making parts for the arm for the Space Station at that time. Home from the military for a visit I was able to go in and see and touch all the parts of the arm they were making before they were assembled and such. By the looks of it, you did a great job on the arm and I think it looks really good.

In fact, the model as a whole looks very nice!

Edited by RescueDiver

Pete, looking awesome man. You are creating a master piece. So, what Museum is this baby going to end up in? If you can't decide, don't worry I know of one here that will take care of it very good....its called MIKE's Livingroom :thumbsup: lol

Mike

Well I'm down to the shorter strokes now ... but-t-t ... :cheers:

Firstly, thanx guys for the positive comments. :wave:

BP, the TPS I'm referring to in the Payload Bay is the 'fabric' all over the bay's interior.

Mike, we can negotiate a price ... I'm sure!

ShawnM .. what's NEXT?? :cheers: A break laddie! I've been on this model for over a year and I'm just about at my breaking point!

But here's a quick update ...

In the Payload Bay, the last 2 bays are not semi-circular, so I had to cut 'em out and replace 'em with some sheet styrene. You can also see some details on the Payload Bay sill. Initially, because the RealSpace aftermarket set includes 24 door hinges, I used 'em all. However, upon just chancing to notice a photo showing them, there are not that many on the sills, so I had to remove most of 'em. ( What I thought would be 10-15 more hours to get this done, has turned into 45 hours ... with a few more to go ... :wub: )

2v2JupSAqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupSY5xAnAAS.jpg

Then one of the tasks I've been postponing, is attaching the TPS on the fwd and aft bulkheads. This is just household aluminum foil, painted off-white, cut into rectangles and glued with Bare Metal Foil Adhesive. I had to get the little details on the bulkheads done first. All tedious work.

2v2JupSfnxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupS6dxAnAAS.jpg

Then to the belly and some pastel weathering.

2v2JupSRrxAnAAS.jpg

And the deployed MLG was installed. You can also see the fuel umbilical doors.

2v2JupSpNxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupSKyxAnAAS.jpg

... so here I am, ready to attach the display base and affix the final elements, the SSME's, the OMS engine bells and a few other almost final details .. and ... and the display base doesn't fit. One of the struts interferes with the MLG. :whistle:

So, I really don't wanna take the MLG apart, or the STBD strut ... goll-ding-it!

I don't know how I did this! But somehow, it's gotta get fixed.

Thanx for lookin' in boys ...

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

What about taking the inside tire off and scratching the brake calipers? That might give you the clearance you need (albeit on the inside you won't see the detail too much). Only other solution I can think of is do the MLG in partial extension mode (which would showcase the hinge points).

Edited by Jay Chladek

Thanx for the suggestion Jay!

When I last posted, I was a little PO'd due to this. And your suggestion allowed me to think straight ... seeing as the display stand wasn't an attempt to replicate the ET, just break it apart. So I broke off the 2 long struts, added some length and repositioned 'em by moving 'em inboard by about 3/4", re-mask and re-paint. Then the orbiter got attached to it.

2v2JupVpGxAnAAS.jpg

Now that the Shuttle was glued to the stand, I had something to hang onto.

The upper Payload Bay TPS needed to be done. So I had some aluminum foil, thick stuff, from a frozen lasagna pan and cut out some sections, and also cut up some aluminum sheet, from a printing press, to indicate the vents.

2v2JupVbLxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupV1WxAnAAS.jpg

Then onto the final assembly. Here's an SSME being installed. The pins on the Engine perfectly lined up with the AFT structure, what a relief that was!

2v2JupVfFxAnAAS.jpg

So then, the last subassemblies got attached too ... the Crew Hatch, RMS, Vertical Stabilizer and rudder, Ku Band antenna, Air Data probe, that fine handrail 'wire' on the bay door ( this little sucker took about an hour and a half to attach ... and I thought it would take 5 minutes!!) and some paint touch ups and ... it's ... just ... about ... done.

2v2JupVaqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupVeFxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupVEGxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupV9LxAnAAS.jpg

It still needs the Cockpit window decal and some pastel weathering, ( just minor stuff ). I also wanna attach some EVA astronauts to give a sense of scale and position the RMS.

I'll post some final photos as soon as I can.

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Seeing the (mostly) completed model, it is a thing of beauty. As for your fix, it goes to show that sometimes you have to pause, look over things and approach it from a new angle. Those can lead to some nice EUREKA moments.

Seeing the feedlines going from the TSM carrier plates to the engines in the back is very cool as it helps to make sense of the plumbing back there somewhat.

Edited by Jay Chladek

WOW Pete, this is all just so incredible and inspiring! Everything part came out perfect. ;)

It's a been a great pleasure following this build and now seeing it all come together makes the wait well worth it.

I've been on a hiatus from my shuttle project and seeing this today has inspired me to get back to finishing it.

Edited by crowe-t

Thank you very much gentlemen! I never get tired of hearing nice words! :pray:

So here's some final pix. For all intents and purposes, it's done, but I'll probably do some little tweaking here and there. I wanna have it ready for an upcoming show, in about a month or so.

Some quick info ... I don't know how long this took as I stopped counting at 300 hours. I figger it's close to 900 hours in this model ... sheesh! :)

At least a couple of thousands parts, bits and pieces of styrene, resin, foil, photo-etch brass ... whew!

There are a few major flaws and a lot of small ones ... this won't win any major awards, but heck, I've learned a helluva lot about building a model as well as a heckuva lot about the Space Shuttle Orbiter! ... and I'm really glad it's done. :D

I've enjoyed every minute ( almost ... ) of this build and I'm blown away that this build has attracted over 25,000 views!

Thanx guys

Pete

Here's a bit of a walkaround ...

2v2JupVzqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuphoFxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuphUNxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupVydxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupVN5xAnAAS.jpg

Edited by K2Pete
... this won't win any major awards,

Are you Fn kidding me? I would love to see the things that win awards aside from this beauty. Unless someone trailers in an actual orbiter or something they built in their backyard there is no way you walk out of there without an award.

I've been watching this off n on since I found it a few months ago and it's just staggering. Absolutely incredible!

Well done sir you're feeling of pride and accomplishment should be overflowing right now.

I applaud you.

Kris

There are a few major flaws and a lot of small ones ...

Pete,

I wish I'm able to build models with the same flaws on this build... :)

Flaws... You're just being silly!

This is simply magnificent! I'm sure you will win top honors with this one.

Okay, maybe at an IPMS judged regional or national, I can see it maybe getting knocked out for a minor flaw or two and that is the way of things. At a local show and anything with a public vote category, it would likely take peoples choice or best of show. Only one way to find out anyway. ENTER THAT SUCKER!!!

In all seriousness though, if in a few years you tire of looking at it (I wouldn't), you should seriously consider donating it to a museum or Challenger center where people can look at it. It is easily WAY better than most things I've seen on display at museums these days.

Hi Pete,

Congratulations on finishing your mammoth project. This has been a pleasure to follow and is equally enjoyable to see in all of it's completed glory. Thanks for taking the time to detail each step.

Your ingenuity and grasp of many modelling techniques has been inspirational.

A truly remarkable achievement. Well done. :doh:

:woo:

Pete,

Your work is AWE INSPIRING.

You Sir are an EXCEPTIONAL modeler and

your work is just OUTSTANDING and AMAZING.

Pure unadulterated GENIUS at work....

KUDOS to you Pete....

HOLMES :thumbsup::whistle::coolio::worship:

Pete,

I stand BY what I said...PURE WORK OF ART !!!

It has been AMAZING to watch your scratchbuilding

and I can tell you honestly that there are NOT MANY threads that I re-read from beginning to end but

I have DONE THAT with yours as I love reading the build and how you did it..Watching your fascination

with this project; and STUNNING RESULT has been worth while.

EXQUISITE, EXEMPLARY work sir...

KUDOS....

HOLMES

Holey Kow guys ... thanx alot! :o

Mr Holmes ... YIKES! I definitely don't deserve those wonderful kudos ... but thanx anyways! :rofl:

Emil, I needed to finish this before I could start the CL-415 for the Group Build ... I need a little down time first :wacko: ... and then onto the next one. I'd like to have THAT one ready for HeritageCon.

When I've applied some final finishing touches on this Shuttle build, I'll post some pix, maybe even some close-ups.

Thanx again guys ... you're way-y-y too kind! :salute:

Pete