Space Shuttle Cutaway-winter project

There were a lot of great models entered..... thank god I saved myself the embarrassment of showing my piddly do dads.

It was nice to see the model up close and personal! Great work and it did deserve an award!!!!

There is always next year!

But in my category, which was "Miscellaneous, Space, Sci-fi" and had about 15 models, my shuttle got a 3rd.

But I'm pleased with the positive reaction it got from a lot of fellow modelers.

Pete

3rd, I smell a fix! :angry:

Pete, your shuttle is the best I've seen. It gets a 1st place finish in my book! :thumbsup:

Edited by crowe-t
  • 5 weeks later...

The 3/4 shot looking down on the orbiter into the PLB is very near to a shot I took at Palmdale from next to the SILTS pod looking toward the nose, replete with the

exposed tanks and understructure in the bay.** Purdy cool. Good work.

Bruce P.

**Uh, I mean that magically appeared in my camera. Yeah- that's it. (Employees weren't supposed to take pix! Only Visitors! What a dipsh*t reg that was....)

Thanx again guys ... but Tracy, really, you don't hafta AGREE with me!! :bandhead2: ;)

Here's just a few more pix. You might be able to see some of the scrapes and uneven cuts especially on the fwd RCS nozzles.

It'll may do alright at the local shows, only because there aren't too many entries in the Real Space category, but it won't get anything at the bigger shows. And that's just fine ... I enter 'em to try to attract a viewer's interest and maybe trigger a a little inspiration for them to build something too.

Here's the fwd RCS but also note the RTV tile sealant, on the top of the cockpit.

lo-rez-noseflashbetter.jpg

And in case you were wondering, yes, I did apply a decal to the underside of the crew hatch. The photos outta focus, my apologies!

The cockpit window decal is home made too.

lo-rez-hatchdecal.jpg

lo-rez-nosehighflash.jpg

lo-rez-fwdnoseeyelevelflash.jpg

lo-rez-aftoverall.jpg

lo-rez-fwdbulkbirdseye.jpg

Once again, thanx very much for all your positive comments lads .... believe it or don't, it helped alot when I just wanted to pack this project in.

Pete

I dont like it, I LOVE it !! and believe me, I am not a spaceship fan usually !

I just had my thrill of the week. Seriously, this kind of work is really motivating me

Cheers,

antoine

Edited by toniosky

I first saw this thread over a year ago when I was looking at shuttle models, as reference for my own 1/144 shuttle. Needless to say, all the praise that everyone gives in this thread to ya Pete is well earned! It is a stunning model, and I'm happy to see it in it's finished state. The gold foil is what really gets me. Fantastic!

Bloody unbelievable what a fantastic build,this is the first i have seen of it and what a build.Im waiting for the Revell Shuttle with tanks to come out later this year and although it will not be upto this standard i hope it will look the bizz,all i need to do now is find a good source of referance.Well done Pete on a fine piece of craftsman ship.

All the best Clive.

• 9 months later...

:thumbsup: I've just joined and this is my first post.

I came across the site whilst referencing for my 1/72 shuttle and have just read through this whole thread.

I only registered to say what a fantastic effort this was for what is indeed, a truly remarkable build...Ive learned loads just reading through it all and it just shows what some time and patience can achieve... :thumbsup:

Edited by pixel8

Thanx very very much "pixel8" :wave:

I'm in the process of tweaking it a bit and trying to tidy up some little imperfections and show it at a couple more contests this year.

And welcome to ARC ... you'll find some excellent, and current, Shuttle builds here that'll give you plenty of ideas, and inspiration, to help you with your build.

Don't be shy about posting pix of your build here too, I mean, you've already joined ... why not? :D

Thanx again

Pete

Thanx very very much "pixel8" :wave:

I'm in the process of tweaking it a bit and trying to tidy up some little imperfections and show it at a couple more contests this year.

And welcome to ARC ... you'll find some excellent, and current, Shuttle builds here that'll give you plenty of ideas, and inspiration, to help you with your build.

Don't be shy about posting pix of your build here too, I mean, you've already joined ... why not? :D

Thanx again

Pete

Hey Pete,

Good to hear you're working on this again. Be sure to keep us up to date with the improvements. I seriously feel with a few minor tweaks here and there you'd have a contest sweeper there. As it was before was awesome enough artistically, add the technical mumbo jumbo and it would be untouchable.

Bill

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Much like pixel8, I joined for the sole purpose of conveying my congratulations on this stupendous project!

I modeled a bit when I was a young'un (but had to give it up), and have been obsessed with the Shuttle since before Enterprise rolled out.

I've collected all manner of schematics over the years showing all the nifty internal details, but I never thought it was possible to actually model all that!

I can die happy now, knowing that somebody made my dream a reality. (Not that I'm gonna be dying soon, afaik ;D)

... gee whiz ... thanx very much!

I haven't visited this thread in quite some time ... so thanx to Bill, kslmn, Rene and cljohnston108 for your wonderful comments.

I really appreciate them and, must say, I'm flattered that you went to the 'trouble' of joining ARC just to respond to this thread! :wave:

I hope you all have taken a good look at the other Shuttle builds ... they are true eye-candy! :thumbsup:

Pete

• 9 months later...

Pete,

Amazing work! I don't know how you found the time or the patience to build such an amazing Shuttle! I'd love to learn a thing or two from you

You'll have to forgive my ignorance though,I have to ask;what is the structure on the very top of the tail? I've never seen that before.

Respectfully,

ljmorrow92

Thanx! The build took about 15 months IIRC, and the last month or so was more work than fun. There were so many "I" 's to dot and "T" 's to cross that, honestly, it was a bit of a grind, but I kept focussing on that light at the end of the tunnel.

This model is currently on display in our local Central Library with the hope that the kids, or anyone, will be curious enuff to research the Shuttle or, even better, be inspired to get into modelling.

Here's a link ... if you scroll down about halfway, there's a photo and a brief explanation of the SILTS pod at the top of the tail.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/02/space-shuttle-columbia-a-new-beginning-and-vision/

And if you've got any more questions ... ask away!

Pete

Well it's very impressive and it's awesome that you've got it on display for others to see! I wish kids would get more excited about aviation and space travel. It's a shame that more kids aren't interested these days.

I had no idea about the SILTS pod but sure enough,it was exactly as you built it. Your attention to detail and accuracy with the most obscure subjects is very cool!

Respectfully,

Ljmorrow92

Edited by Ljmorrow92
  • 1 year later...

Awesome. I've always liked the space shuttle and this build is arguably the most inspiring model I've *ever* seen of it. Too bad it's way too challenging for most of us to pull through - but luckily we have yours!

Beautiful work!

Well, this thread has been updated ... it did take about 6 hours over 2 days ... and I still have one more thread that I want to update and then it'll be onto completing some already started build's.

This Shuttle Cutaway has gotten a couple of awards and a Best of Show at a small regional contest ... but this ... is my favourite build!

Thanx for looking in!

Pete

• 1 year later...

I am fascinated by your work, completely fascinated by the dedication, detail, beauty, research ... etc. I am looking for references because before seeing your work I thought about doing something similar and I found your work, thanks. My work will be the repair of the Hubble in 1/179 scale (with the Hubble completely scratched)