Space Shuttle Cutaway-winter project

BTW, where did you acquire the paper tape for the FRSI? It seems to have a nice appearance for those parts of the orbiter. The AFRSI tape looks very good as well. What brand and type of cloth tape is it? And did you have trouble with it shedding on the ends after cutting it?

Edited by Jay Chladek

Well, first of all, I won't take credit for the Surgical Tape solution to represent the TPS white tiles. I seem to recall a post from a couple / few years back, where JMChladek made the suggestion. At least, that was the first I heard of it.

And Jay, the tape is a 'paper' first aid tape I got from our local drug store chain. There's a photo of it, in it's package, near the top of this page (Post #164) And because there's no fibres, there's no shredding. ( the AFRSI and FRSI tiles are represented with the same tape on this model. I'll paint 'em slightly different shades of white to differentiate 'em ... ) And it takes paint real nice too. But I'm unsure how it'll take Future so I can apply some decals to it (namely the "United States" and "NASA" logo on fuselage sides).

In addition, I applied the decals on the fuse sides and they didn't break apart. Seems the light coat of Krylon Clear worked. I hope they'll co-operate when I apply the BIG belly decals too. Thanx again Mr Chladek! :jaw-dropping: You and Mr Jenkins are my heroes (at least in reference to the Space Shuttles!)

Pete

I'm not sure how I missed this one! Fantastic work Pete. Will this be appearing at the Hamilton show in March? I promise that if you bring it finished I'll have a surprise for you.

I'll also have NEW STUFF finished not the same old chestnuts being dragged around to shows like some others do. :jaw-dropping:

Hiya Dave ... :rofl:

I hope to have this done in the next month or so, so HeritageCon is a distinct possibility.

But the closer I get to completing, the more there seems to do. I just finished putting on the 'black' Cutting Edge decals, and now realize I've got all the tweaking and 'gizmofying' to do. The detailing is gonna take some time ... things like paint tints, weathering of the tiles, RMS details, air data probes, cameras ... sheesh. :thumbsup:

I would, ideally, like to get it done by the New Year, so, another 4 months seems do-able. I hope I can keep my interest up all the way to completing it.

We shall see ... :rolleyes:

I'll see ya in Hamilton fer sure, with or without this model! :thumbsup:

Pete

Hiya Dave ... :wave:

I hope to have this done in the next month or so, so HeritageCon is a distinct possibility.

But the closer I get to completing, the more there seems to do. I just finished putting on the 'black' Cutting Edge decals, and now realize I've got all the tweaking and 'gizmofying' to do. The detailing is gonna take some time ... things like paint tints, weathering of the tiles, RMS details, air data probes, cameras ... sheesh. :unsure:

I would, ideally, like to get it done by the New Year, so, another 4 months seems do-able. I hope I can keep my interest up all the way to completing it.

We shall see ... :pray:

I'll see ya in Hamilton fer sure, with or without this model! :)

Pete

How does that saying go. "The last two percent takes eighty percent of the time." Or how about "A work of art is never truly finished, it's abandoned."

:blink:

Nothing earth shattering in this update, just some decaling.

With all the delicate subassemblies, like elevons, body flap and Forward Reaction Control thrusters, I wanted to get most of the decaling outta the way ( before attaching these sub-assy's) so I don't hafta worry about banging these fragile little parts against the lamp, or the table top or my thigh ... :wave:

After Jay's mention of the wing chine tiles, I built up some .005" styrene and attached it. Then decaled it. I used the Cutting Edge decals and after giving 'em all a thin coat of Krylon Clear ( Thanx Jay!! :explode: ) they went on without too much trouble.

2v2JupmbGxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Jup4jGxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupmZgxAnAAS.jpg

I had to make my own decals as well, using the CE ones to scan. I needed 'em for some patching. You can see where I've patched this port side ... the patch is on the upper portion. The colour difference will go bye-bye when I place the dark wash on it.

2v2Jup4zFxAnAAS.jpg

And I wanted to eliminate the problem of the black crew hatch decal and decided to place my own decal on top of the crew hatch opening. I'll cut and trim it later.

2v2Jupm3LxAnAAS.jpg

The Elevons decals are homemade, designing 'em in Illustrator and printing 'em out, as well as the Flipper door decals.

2v2JupmvgxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupmunxAnAAS.jpg

Here's the OMS pod tiles ... an image I forgot to include earlier in this post.

2v2JupmHdxAnAAS.jpg

I'd like to think I'm in the homestretch, but there's still a lot of things to do, all small things, but time consuming. It's a bit of a grind now ... but I hope to have it done in a month. I hope! :pray:

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Looking great Pete! Ya' gonna tone down the grey with a little darker overcoat? Those decals are nice but pretty light. I guess though it's easier to weather something making it darker than it is to make the bottom lighter. Either way ya go, it's gonna be good.

Bill

Pete, I missed few days and I can see that you've gone nuts... :whistle: just kidding!

Honestly, it looks awesome. I really like your idea of you replicated the texture of the outer skin of the shuttle. I'll have to keep that in mind. However, I'm sure when you handle it you probably wear gloves or something to keep the dirt and oils. It will be easy to leave dirty marks on that surface.

Keep up the good work!!

Mike

Thanx guys ... :)

I've been getting some of the tedious little jobs done.

The RMS still needs a decal or two but the cameras and the end effector snares have been done. This is from the Real Space model update kit. And I've enhanced the RMS with a couple bits of styrene.

2v2JupTinxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupT4FxAnAAS.jpg

The Ku band antenna. This is a Real Space product too.

2v2JupTwgxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupToLxAnAAS.jpg

One of the really frustrating things I'm running into is the assembly sequence. I've wanted to install the Payload Bay doors for weeks now, but there's always something that needs to be done prior to that. I needed to build the doors to a complete state ... when that was done, I realized I needed to apply the wing ID decals ... then I realized yesterday that I needed to apply the dark wash to darken the 'black' tiles first. In addition, the decals on the STBD fuselage side needed to be applied too, because they'd be under the deployed door. I guess the doors will go on as one of the very last steps, and then the hinge details will occupy my time.

2v2JupTGdxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupTTCxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupThWxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupTFgxAnAAS.jpg

I've also run into some more inaccuracies in the kit. The aft umbilical panel is too big. I scaled the access panel in front of it, from the umbilical panel, and only when I applied the little 'meatball' did I realize they were outta scale. The umbilical panels too big by about 30% ... :worship: ... but I'm just gonna live with it. I browns me off that the kit manufacturers have made so many errors.

The Vertical Stabilizer and rudder have been dry fit in a couple views.

2v2JupT3WxAnAAS.jpg

Thanx again guys, for your comments. At this stage, I can't wait to get this completed ... and your comments help to give me the push I need.

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Pete - here's another comment to keep you rolling - good frackin' job on this thing. It is a fascinating model already. I can get lost looking around inside the innards, which I love :)

It would be marvelous if you did the same treatment with the 1/12 Mercury capsule model!

Edited by Astrazoic

Pete, The amount and quality of the details you added is mind blowing! Even if it wasn't a cutaway version it would be an incredible build.

What technique are you going to use for the black wash over the tiles? Clear black, thinned (regular)black?!

Holy FRAK! :)

That is getting better and better. I think once you do your weather wash to the upper wing chines, they will look better in the darker shades. Like I said, it is a judgement call. But all things considered this is going WAY beyond just a normal model and has truely become a work of art.

If the ending is just as good, you should seriously consider putting that thing in a museum... at least after you've had it in your collection for awhile anyway. :) So I take it once you did the clear spray, you had no more decal cracking problems?

For the dark wash, I'm undecided, Mike. I looked in an older issue of FSM, for some techniques and ran across an article about washes. It suggested that if you use enamels, use acrylic for the wash, and vice-versa. So I think I'm gonna try an acrylic wash ... but because the model decals will have a coat of Future, maybe I'll use thinned down enamels. I'll do a test or two and decide then.

And Jay, yup, the light coat of Krylon Clear worked just lov-er-ly. ;) Those BIG decals went on with no trouble at all.

But I've probably used as many home-made decals as Cutting Edge's! THOSE decals were a bit of a pain. It seems the amount of Clear coat varied with each sheet of decal film. Some sheets needed just one coat ... others needed a heavy coat and still others needed two heavy coats. But if the coats were too thick, the decals would just curl up on the model. :doh: I had to apply and remove the Flipper door and Elevon decals twice before getting them to settle down nicely. And the large amount of setting solution I used to get them to uncurl, practically dissolved the decals. My local hobby store didn't have the Liquid Decal Film, but I'd like to give that stuff a try.

Thanx for the good words lads ... I hope to have her done by the end o' the year. I've still got about 30 items on my 'to-do list' ... and I seem to find 2 more new items every day! :worship:

Pete

Pete,

I'm still trying to decide what type of black wash to use over the tiles on my shuttle build. Since I'm using decals I had printed from scans of the Cutting Edge set I darkened them a bit so I might be able to get away with using clear black.

I had my decals printed on a Laser printer so the ink(toner) is waterproof. However when I was practicing applying them one folded over and the ink cracked on the fold. I then picked up some Liquid decal film and applied it and purposely folded over a decal and the ink didn't crack. The other good thing about the liquid decal film is the Micro-set and Micro-sol still work on the decal and it will conform to all the surface details and have the painted on look.

Edited by crowe-t
  • 1 month later...

I guess it's time for an update.

I've gotten bogged down with the myriad details that have yet to be done, but I'm plugging along.

I applied the wing chine decals and a wash to darken 'em. But the wash, an experimental Future and India ink wash, was way-y-y too dark. ( it looked great on my test sample !!!) It obliterated the decal details. So I tried removing the wash with Windex. Well, it didn't wanna come off and wound up destroying the decal. So, I removed the decal, reapplied 'em and reapplied a wash.

Then it was time to attach the Payload Bay doors. It needed a lot of clamps.

2v2JupTtVxAnAAS.jpg

But they attached with no problems ... and the sides of the Payload Bay are finally 'straight'.

On this view, you can see the 'display' stand. I've tinted the colours of the "ET" down so it won't attract too much attention, and hopefully prevent some wags from pointing out the inaccuracies of the 'fuel tank'.

2v2JupTbSxAnAAS.jpg

From the Aft ...

2v2JupTHLxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupTZGxAnAAS.jpg

And the aft view showing the heat shield material on the SSME mounts

2v2JupTuVxAnAAS.jpg

Edited by K2Pete

The Payload bay is getting some of its TPS structure. I'll try to replicate the TPS with aluminum foil ... but I'll see if it looks right. These panels are 5 thou styrene.

2v2JupTfWxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JupT6qxAnAAS.jpg

And we're up to date. Just a few more hours and I can wrap this up!

Thanx for looking in!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Pete,

I don't get over to check your progress often enough. All I can say is "Gomph!" (apologies to Cheech Wizard...).

What are you referring to as payload bay TPS? The panels or "floor" of the bay were literally plastic panels- aka debris panels, that provided no thermal anything.

There were thermal blankets under them though.

The forward chines on orbiter 102 were white FRSI painted a modified cadillac black (Satellite thermal paint, with a higher concentrated of gold, just for shuttle [of course...]). That FRSI started at the black tiles on the upper chine surface (they weren't AFRSI as on the follow orbiters after 099). 102's painted chine surface was simply one of many experiments on what was essentially the R&D orbiter.

Your eye for detailing on this project is your best yet. Wonderful work. Thanks.

BP

The Payload bay is getting some of its TPS structure. I'll try to replicate the TPS with aluminum foil ... but I'll see if it looks right. These panels are 5 thou styrene.

T-Payloadbay.jpg

T-Payloadbaypanels.jpg

And we're up to date. Just a few more hours and I can wrap this up!

Thanx for looking in!

Pete