• Expensive
    • A bargain
    • A pain in the a**
    • A learning experience
    • Dead to me
    • What I really look forward to
    • All of these Things
    • Dormant

Flippin hasegawa p-40!! I would pull my hair out if had something to grab!! never had this much frustration with a Hasegawa kit before.

For some reason I feel that if I don't finish it by years end I will go insane. Last night I slapped paint on it even though it was not ready. Just gonna weather the heck outta it!!

I agree with Julien. Depending on the day any one of those may apply.

The last few weeks though its been satisfying.

Sadly, I don't think its been FUN for very many of us for years. Why do we still do it then?

At differing stages of the year, and with different build I thik I could tick all of those boxes! :D

^:lol: What Julien said! Sometimes multiple and differing answers regarding the same kit, depending on stage/mood! :(

I voted for "A pain in the *ss".

Right now, I'm building the Czech Model "Bamboo Bomber" as Songbird, for my Dad's birthday. I have only a few more weeks to finish it, and it's a difficult kit. Plus, I'm not really personally interested in the airplane, but Sky King was my Dad's favorite show in the 1950s so he'll get a kick out of it.

But for me right now, the hobby has turned into work.

:lol:

Mike

Right now, it's dead to me, due to lack of interest and more interest in photography over anything else. That's how come I'm building pretty much what I've currently got in my stash rather than adding to it.

I'll be going "crazy" over lenses and camera bodies rather than trying to look for a 1/72nd Trumpeter Tu-22 Blinder or whatever.

Im another on for 'Tick every box' for just about EVERY kit i make, and thats just the way i like it!

There's the joyfull happy part at the start, then the slow grinding as things don't go to plan, the the period of frustration, to the inevitable 'back of the work bench' stage, then the new inspiration, and eagerness to get it finished, the the satisfation of completing the utter B*st*rd of a thing. Why would you have it ANY other way? :thumbsup:

Denzi

Master Sensei, confuscius say "It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop". In the past 10 days I've spent probably 30 or so hours building my B-17G, I intended for it to be a quick build cause it was an old kit with crappy decals and I wanted to finish it while I was off from work. I couldn't sleep last night so I got up and built some more, yesterday alone I bet I spent 6-7 hours building. Its coming out alot better than expected so I put some extra effort into it. Right now I'm pumped, I just got back into the hobby back in the spring and have built about 1 kit per month trying to perfect my technique. Of course, only 3 of those kits came out like I wanted them to, but you have to try stuff you've never done before and those first attempts are probably not going to be perfect. I just weather the crap out of it and pretend its wear and tear when I screw something up. Needless to say I've gotten pretty good at weathering. I agree with your philosophy, keep going and finish it, those mistakes that look like crap up close you can't even see from a couple of feet away. I thought this B-17G was going to look crappy cause I didn't finish my seams real well and didn't even try on the bottom of it cause it wasn't going to be seen. But now it looks great, I even got the exhuast stains right for the first time (previous attempts looked more like engine fires). I've discovered that some colors of paints just work alot better than others. For instance, I started out trying to do Luftwaffe schemes (couldn't find anything harder). This is not the place to start. The MM paints for RM colors just don't spray that well, on top of being really hard schemes to replicate. That being said 2 of the 3 planes that I've done well are Bf-109E's. The last is the B-17G I'm on now. Never say die, just give the crappy ones to your kids and they will love there new toys that daddy spent weeks on. Then when you see it in pieces 3 days later by an attack from the Decepticons you'll know that it served a purpose.

Master Sensei, confuscius say "It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop". In the past 10 days I've spent probably 30 or so hours building my B-17G, I intended for it to be a quick build cause it was an old kit with crappy decals and I wanted to finish it while I was off from work. I couldn't sleep last night so I got up and built some more, yesterday alone I bet I spent 6-7 hours building. Its coming out alot better than expected so I put some extra effort into it. Right now I'm pumped, I just got back into the hobby back in the spring and have built about 1 kit per month trying to perfect my technique. Of course, only 3 of those kits came out like I wanted them to, but you have to try stuff you've never done before and those first attempts are probably not going to be perfect. I just weather the crap out of it and pretend its wear and tear when I screw something up. Needless to say I've gotten pretty good at weathering. I agree with your philosophy, keep going and finish it, those mistakes that look like crap up close you can't even see from a couple of feet away. I thought this B-17G was going to look crappy cause I didn't finish my seams real well and didn't even try on the bottom of it cause it wasn't going to be seen. But now it looks great, I even got the exhuast stains right for the first time (previous attempts looked more like engine fires). I've discovered that some colors of paints just work alot better than others. For instance, I started out trying to do Luftwaffe schemes (couldn't find anything harder). This is not the place to start. The MM paints for RM colors just don't spray that well, on top of being really hard schemes to replicate. That being said 2 of the 3 planes that I've done well are Bf-109E's. The last is the B-17G I'm on now. Never say die, just give the crappy ones to your kids and they will love there new toys that daddy spent weeks on. Then when you see it in pieces 3 days later by an attack from the Decepticons you'll know that it served a purpose.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets up in the middle of the night and does this!

Ticked most of 'em, apart from "boring" and "dead to me" (if that means what I interpret it to mean) - and (obviously) "all of the above". If I find it getting boring I pick up something else from the "in progress" pile which usually manages to revive any flagging interest.

• 3 months later...

I clicked infuriating today. I dont know who went around montreal and bought all the transparent decal paper from every single LHS. I did about 200 km trying to find some and never did. Why did hasegawa take the time to print canadian decals for my cp-140 aurora but didnt print them in the right color? Ah the gas wasted! 40 bucks, 4 hours, and 4 fingers down most of the way. Oh well, hopefully one of them will get their stock tomorrow and I can click fun and exciting.

Right now, it's dead to me, due to lack of interest and more interest in photography

I had to read that twice, I read something else than photography the first time, lol. Stupid eyes playing tricks on me.

Edited by pbishop

Don't remember what I clicked back in December, but today, anyway, I'm enjoying the hobby and finding it quite satisfying. I'm actually a bit ahead of average on my completed builds so far this year (about 2 a month since January), and have sufficient enthusiasm to keep up the pace.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Right now, it's dead to me, due to lack of interest and more interest in photography over anything else. That's how come I'm building pretty much what I've currently got in my stash rather than adding to it.

I got the opposide problem. I have not build a single kit in a long time ( several months, likely more than a year or three ) but I have purchased at least 500 kits since the last kit I actually finished ( and I have 2 or 3 unfinished )

Pathetic, I know. :jaw-dropping:

This could be an interesting poll, but I think the choices are a bit too disparate to tell us much. A poll that addresses only costs/value would be very interesting, as would one that addresses our overall satisfaction with the hobby.

Exciting !

There are so many ac coming out in various scales that we were only dreaming about years ago. The aftermarket really adds that extra piece of realism to take any kit above and beyond the box. There is too much info to get nowadays on the internet....which can be frustrating sometimes tho.

The variety and possibilities are endless now....but with a price if you are willing to go there.

- Matt

I have good days and bad days. It depends on my mood or what I have going on. With me traveling all the time, I have to budget my time to do something constructive. Today for example, I'm on a layover in Aruba and I brought along my 1/400 scale Dragon A340 kit. I'm cleaning up the wheels here in the hotel so that when I get to the house in CT later tonight they'll be ready for paint. Tommorrow I'll probably get something ready for my commute to Toronto for the weekend....

Edited by skidbuggy