• Expensive
    • A bargain
    • A pain in the a**
    • A learning experience
    • Dead to me
    • What I really look forward to
    • All of these Things
    • Dormant

It's frustrating to me mostly these days.

1:

I have neither the time nor space to properly do the hobby.

2:

Buying models has gotten a lot more complicated, not least from rising kit prices and an increasing number of reboxings.

3:

You get all excited about a new kit that you thought you'd never see, and then a ton of reviews ripping it apart one way and another until you lose intrest in it or feel like an idiot for putting your money down on it before reading the reviews.

4:

The reviews themselves are frustrating because for every review that rips a kit aprat, there is someone out there that will rip the review apart and accuse the reviewer of using spurious reference material.....

5:

Walking into a hobby shop is not the inspiring experience it once was for me either. I've become much more picky about what I will buy over the years as I've ended up buying kits only to get them home and feel burned somehow.

(Classic Airframes' 1/48 F-5A left me feeling that way on more than one front)

If the hobby is anything for me these days, it would be dormant. It isn't dead, but my building is slow and sporadic at best. I spenda fair bit of time on forums and pick up the odd magazine. I also make regular visits to the two hobby shops in town to see what's new. The hobby is still alive for me, just dormant.

It's frustrating to me mostly these days.

1:

I have neither the time nor space to properly do the hobby.

2:

Buying models has gotten a lot more complicated, not least from rising kit prices and an increasing number of reboxings.

3:

You get all excited about a new kit that you thought you'd never see, and then a ton of reviews ripping it apart one way and another until you lose intrest in it or feel like an idiot for putting your money down on it before reading the reviews.

4:

The reviews themselves are frustrating because for every review that rips a kit aprat, there is someone out there that will rip the review apart and accuse the reviewer of using spurious reference material.....

5:

Walking into a hobby shop is not the inspiring experience it once was for me either. I've become much more picky about what I will buy over the years as I've ended up buying kits only to get them home and feel burned somehow.

(Classic Airframes' 1/48 F-5A left me feeling that way on more than one front)

If the hobby is anything for me these days, it would be dormant. It isn't dead, but my building is slow and sporadic at best. I spenda fair bit of time on forums and pick up the odd magazine. I also make regular visits to the two hobby shops in town to see what's new. The hobby is still alive for me, just dormant.

Good point. I added dormant as an option!

• 7 months later...

Today the hobby got me out of bed at 2:30 AM to work on a model I wanted to get done for tonight's club meeting. Today I shot three different colors of paint and one clear coat through my airbrush, finished decaling, and made a stand for the model - all before the sun came up. Today I moved a model veeery close to the Finished column and it will be done by 6:30 PM. Today I took a look at the stash and liked what I saw, and have no desire to go out and add an unbuilt kit to the pile.

Tonight I'll go to the monthly club meeting and have a great time, and afterward I'll take my wife out for dinner.

Today, like most other days, I love the hobby.

Today the hobby got me out of bed at 2:30 AM to work on a model I wanted to get done for tonight's club meeting. Today I shot three different colors of paint and one clear coat through my airbrush, finished decaling, and made a stand for the model - all before the sun came up. Today I moved a model veeery close to the Finished column and it will be done by 6:30 PM. Today I took a look at the stash and liked what I saw, and have no desire to go out and add an unbuilt kit to the pile.

Tonight I'll go to the monthly club meeting and have a great time, and afterward I'll take my wife out for dinner.

Today, like most other days, I love the hobby.

Wow, that's a productive day!