Considering in how limited numbers the real thing is produced in, the limited operators, and how new the ac is; There is pleeeeeeeenty of other aircrafts that "need" to be done in 1/32 before it. Like MiG-25.

Considering in how limited numbers the real thing is produced in, the limited operators, and how new the ac is; There is pleeeeeeeenty of other aircrafts that "need" to be done in 1/32 before it. Like MiG-25.

I disagree on the mig being one.... :)

I was thinking more in terms of the A-1 family - a good 1/32 A-1J or A-1E would be nice. maybe even 1/24? :o

But hey, if one is going to pay $arm & a leg, why not a 1/32 AC-130 or E-2C? Those would be a beast! or a 1/48 B-36 with the little F-84 parasite fighter? that'd could be interesting too.

Or a 1/32 Osprey!

1/32 EA-6B ICAP III?...

the list is endless......

Hi Rafael, I think you may have started something.

Actually, the F-22 has never done it for me so I don't think I'd be up for one even if one were available.

I was thinking more in terms of the A-1 family - a good 1/32 A-1J or A-1E would be nice.

However, a good Spad in 1/32nd scale, now you're talkin'........ :whistle:

I guess Christmas is the season of wishes?

:thumbsup:

Agreed! Trumpy takes a lot of bad press, the irony would be them making an F-22 that actually needed more work to bring it up to F-22 standard than the Yf-22 Testor kit!

I think the question was... How long must we wait for a 32 scale f-22?, not what would you like to see modeled in 32 scale. Im thinking that the Academy 48th scale was done so well, that research wouldnt be the issue. more likely the market price point for such a model in this scale.

How much farther beyond the common 200$ price point would this market bear?

How much farther beyond the common 200$ price point would this market bear?

As a fairly intelligent and level-headed consumer, I've gotta believe the $200 price point is the maximum at this time. Paying roughly $150 for a good 1/32nd scale model seems reasonable to me. Start exceeding $200 and I think the manufacturers would see diminished sales.

A 1/32 Osprey?!

Wow...the thing would be huge...rotors and all, but Id want one.

A 1/32 F-22 would be nice...but it will take a while for one to show up....we still need to see how the 1/32 F-35 from Lindberg will be received.

Edited by Jon Kunatz

A few of variables on a cost effective 1/32 Raptor. If they kept it simple, with no open weapons bays or complete engines, you have a fairly simple kit, and one thats potentially very cost effective to make. No pylons hanging on the wings with weps or tanks, etc... However, I'm thinking a bunch of people would be peeved if they bought a 1/32 Raptor and you couldn't open up the weapons bays, so now you are talking more parts and more detail (much more would be needed to make the bays look good in 1/32 than was required in 1/48), and weapons to put in there. The trend seems to be for at least one engine to be included, and folks want full intakes, so now the pricing starts getting more iffy. I would be OK with closed bays, but I'm sure I would be in the minority there. The F-22's a big kit even in 1/48, so we are talking a lot of plastic in 1/32. Considering the limited marking and paint schemes for the bird, and limited(?) appeal, I can see a company having some reluctance to go that route.

C-130 or Osprey in 1/32?? :blink: It would take one more room in my appartment to house them. :o

As for me, I'm for Rafale or Mirage-2000 in 1/32! Especially Mirage, single-seater. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Alexander.

32nd F-22 , yup I'd have one in a heartbeat , Revell Germany would be my choice , look at their Eurofighter , £50 for a decent accurate kit .. bring it on ...

I could have sworn I saw a Skyraider somewhere in 1/32, as a normal plastic kit

Nope , a resin one from Panther Productions about 4-5 years ago , decent model , long out OOP , and now commanding a big premium on Ebay , the only other one is the ancient 1/40th Revell effort .. other than , no love for the AD family in anything bigger than 32nd :worship:

Good discussion, guys!

The typical "wish list" thread is rarely this interesting. When these threads surface every two to three months I often feel myself torn between what I personally would like to see in model form (which can be obscure) versus what the market would actually support. It's good to have a constructive discussion about the business aspects of a new product.

A few of variables on a cost effective 1/32 Raptor. If they kept it simple, with no open weapons bays or complete engines, you have a fairly simple kit, and one thats potentially very cost effective to make. No pylons hanging on the wings with weps or tanks, etc... However, I'm thinking a bunch of people would be peeved if they bought a 1/32 Raptor and you couldn't open up the weapons bays, so now you are talking more parts and more detail (much more would be needed to make the bays look good in 1/32 than was required in 1/48), and weapons to put in there. The trend seems to be for at least one engine to be included, and folks want full intakes, so now the pricing starts getting more iffy. I would be OK with closed bays, but I'm sure I would be in the minority there. The F-22's a big kit even in 1/48, so we are talking a lot of plastic in 1/32. Considering the limited marking and paint schemes for the bird, and limited(?) appeal, I can see a company having some reluctance to go that route.

Here's a thought, especially if a company like Revell was to put out the 1/32 Raptor. Make 2 versions of the kit.

The first would be for your new, less-experienced modeler, who just wants to have a big F-22 to hang from the ceiling, or look good on the shelf, or as a good first-model. This kit would have closed weapon bays, with no parts for the bays, or weapons. You could include externally-mounted pylons and weapons, for the kids to have some armament to look cool. It wouldn't have a separate engine, or any parts for opened access/gun/AAR/engine panels, although scribe lines would be molded into the inside of the kit. As a sales point, perhaps Revell could team up with Hasbro to make "Starscream" markings for the kit. It could be sold like the Revell 1/32 F-14, at a 40-60 dollar price point.

The second version would be the one with a full engine, full weapon bays, PE, open panels, weapons, etc, for your more "experienced/demanding" modeler. By that, I mean "the guy who's willing to pay $150 for a kick@$$ model."

The two kits would share all the same plastic, but the "ProModeler" version would have a couple more sprues for the extra parts. The modeler could determine what he wants from the kit, and either one would be a fine replica. But the more expensive one would allow a modeler to take it to the next level. This method would actually work really well for something like an F-22, where a modeler might want to keep it all buttoned up, and it would look great, as opposed to say an F-15E, where everything's dangling in the breeze. For something like a Beagle, there's not much you could leave out of the kit, apart from weapons. There's no real "airframe/structural" parts that could be excluded. You could leave out most of the interior of a Raptor, and still have a damn fine model.

Edited by RedHeadKevin

Offering two different versions seems like a good idea on the face of it just as long as the two different boxes and their related artwork did n't take too much to produce.

Perhaps more manufacturers could adopt this policy. I'd opt for a buttoned up Typhoon instead of the engine hanging out but it would be nice to have the choice.

To be honest, I'd much rather see RoG's next 1/32 release be a Rafale than an F-22.

Likewise Dave, or possibly the Gripen?

Testors tried that in the past (stripped easy kit then detailed kit later) and it didn't work as well as one might expect. As such, if a kit is going to be done, it will likely be just one kit and if a different version is done, it will likely be from a different company.

I think a 1/32 Raptor is inevitable, the ultimate question is when and for how much (if it is Trumpeter, expect the price to push around $300 given their current price trends).