1/32 Trumpeter F-8C VF-84 - Finished

Just a quick note:

It seems that about 99% of VF-84 F-8C decals omit the tailplane stripes. May wish to try to acquire/make some now, before you get to the decaling stage. (unless there were 2 variations and I'm just unaware of stripeless tailplanes on their jets--but AFAIK every pic which does show the tailplanes from above, shows stripes)

(and reading this thread REALLY makes me want a 1/32 F-8C---Sundowners of course) :jaw-dropping:

After careful study of all my references I have come to the conclusion that David may be right when it comes to the tailplanes.

There are very few photos of VF-84 saders, most of these are from the side, or poor quality black and white. I have foumd one excellent colour photo shot of 145572 "206" from the rear and you can clearly see the yellow/black stripes on the tailplanes. This is in the NAVA 1 book from the Naval Air Weapons Meet.

One thing I notice from the Zoltz sheet is that the large AG on the tail does not have the yellow surround to the black letters. On all colour pics of VF-84 the tail letters have a yellow surround, however I have not seen a colour pic of the CAG bird. I would think it strabge though if normal sqn birds carried these cna the cag bird did not. On most black and white pics the yellow surround gets lost due to the poor contrast.

Would be interested to see what ref pics Zoltz used.

Julien

Edited by Julien (UK)

Holy Smokin' Rockets!....what an awesome build!

I was kinda on the fence about getting the big Crusader....but after seeing your craftsmanship, guess I'll bite the bullet for it & some resin...."resin is your friend"....:)

Looking most forward to seeing more......

Good to Go,

Jim

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys!

It's been a while since I posted some of my progres as I just couldn't find the time to get behind my computer. I was way to busy

building my Crusader in my free time :)

Once I was ready with the cockpit like you saw in my previous post I finished up al the loose parts and sub-assemblies. The front

wheel is finished now, I took the metal parts from the conversion set and modified them to the early standard. This involved the

removal of the wire deflector. After some grinding and sanding it now looks as follows :

(the lower part is the one modified)

img2526copy.jpg

So finally al the loose parts were ready :)

img2561copy.jpg

And now all of that has to go in here. Fitting all the bays (wingbay, aft & front wheel bay, the new nose, speedbrake bay

tailhookbay & refuelling probe bay)was quite a challenge as I had stuff from 3 different companies.

img2565copy.jpg

The most difficult job was to get the Aires pit match the new nose. After sanding a lot of material away from both pit an nose it

finally fitted.

img2569copyb.jpg

It was aslo the first time I used Tamiya's light curing putty, AMAZING stuff! :thumbsup: It works really good and fast, curing in

just 15min with a good UV light.

img2575copy.jpg

The same putty was used to close the hole in the fuselage just before the wing. Fisher did a great job supplying a filling resin

part to help closing the gap.

img2570copy.jpg

Another thing, and a really visual one, Trumpeter forgot are the the afterburner cooling holes. From the F-8C on, all Crusader had

these 4 cooling doors added to the rear fuselage just before the cooling scoops. I know they may be a little to big but I'm happy

with the result as this was the first time I scribed a round panel...

img2579copy.jpg

So that's it for the sanding, lets get some paint on this lady!

First up was a Primer from Tamiya.

img2591copy.jpg

Again some sanding followed by the usual preshading. I used black for the upper fuselage and a light gray for it belly.

img2610copy.jpg

And the final coat with Mr.color laquer paints FS16440 & FS17875.

img2619copy.jpg

After the fuselage was painted I also did the exhaust area. Being a CAG bird it should look a little better and better maintained

like a regular line bird so I'll make this area quite shiny. Another first for me was the use of Chrome paint. Alclad II was used,

first a glossy black base coat finished by Alclad Chrome. I was really amazed by the result of it! :thumbsup: The reflection

is just great, I've put some scissors next to it for the effect.

img2624copy.jpg

So that it for now! The next big step will be the decalling, and there are A LOT of them so thats gonna be a big job.

Thanks for watching!

Greetings

Rick

Hi Fellows,

I'm back with some major progres this time. I must say this is the most enjoyable part of the whole project. The last week my big gray Crusader transformed into one big mean US Navy HOT ROD! :D The decals sheet is just incredible, the colors and the quality of the decals is just perfect. A real joy to apply them I must say. The only issue you could say is that maybe the data decals are a little bit to big for 1/32nd scale. But I don't have any real references to prove it.

Lets get started :

The major eyecatcher from the VF-84 Crusaders, the flaming intake! I must say I was a little bit scared to apply this decal as it is just HUGE! The whole intake flame is 1 decal. After trying some other decals first I tackled this one and I must say it went very good. The decals are strong and forgivable. To set the decals I used DACO's strong decal setting solution with good result.

img2783copy.jpg

img2784copy.jpg

The other decals went on just fine and really give the Crusader a cool & mean retro look.

img2785copy.jpg

And normally the tail antenna should be a decal to but I decided to paint it on.

img2774copy.jpg

A little error when painting the red but no big deal. I added some wiring to the wing to present the fire detector loop. Not to detailed but just to give a general look when peeping down between the wing when its assembled.

img2796copy.jpg

img2798copyg.jpg

And this is were I am now. Next up will be the assembly of the flaps & slats, and all the rest of the assemblies.

img2800copy.jpg

More to follow!

Greetz

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fellows!

I'm back with my the Final report for my Crusader. She's totally finished now and I must say I very much enjoyed building her :thumbsup:

There were a lot of "first" for me in this one and I really learned a lot and my way of researching changed a lot to with many thanks to all of you who gave me some great tips.

I also really want to thank you guys for the nice comments during my build :salute:

The reason it took me so long to get my final post together was the fact that I wanted to get me some better photo corner. I like to take a nice series of photos once a model is complete but in the past I always had some background issues so I went out to find me a nice black background. And that took me a little longer than I first had in mind.

But I'm glad with the final result :)

So here we go.

My Vought F-8C Crusader from the mighty Jolly Rogers! :)

img2879copy.jpg

img2880copy.jpg

img2927copy.jpg

img2925copyn.jpg

img2918copy.jpg

img2939copy.jpg

img2917copy.jpg

img2972copy.jpg

img2958copy.jpg

img2963copy.jpg

Thats all folks, see you on a future GB :)

Greetz

Rick

Edited by Rick De Smet

Wow best looking model ive seen in a long time

now im never going to build a F-8 cuz i know i cant make it as potentially not ever near as beautiful as yours!!

Cheers

Neo

btw do you have a web site with all your build models?