1/72 Westland Lynx HAS.2

Hi all.

Just finished today - a 1/72 Westland Lynx HAS.2 built OOB in the markings of 700sq Fleet Air Arm, RNAS Yeovilton ca. 1978. The kit was from a 1982 rebox, and I'm thinking the decals were original, and most of them shattered on contact. Anyway, I had enough spares to cover all the others so she can look the part. As the Lynx is an early first production version, and carries a pair of Mk.46 Torpedoes.

The kit shows its age, but still builds into a good depiction of arguably the fastest helicopter designed, and one of the few that can do a complete roll. She differs from the Army version by being equipped with a tricycle undercarriage and a deck restraint systems, folding main rotor blades, an emergency floatation system and a nose-mounted radar.

Enjoy!

AC

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

Adam,

Nice looking Lynx! the Blue is a nice change from the green and gray normally seen on US helos. Thanks for sharing.

Ray

Thanks Ray. Yes, finishing in semi-gloss for a military machine did seem a little away from the normal finishing process!

AC

Sure;

1: wash model furiously in warm soapy water and scrub with toothbrush. Mask all windows with bare-metal foil.

2: spray overall coat of light grey (old enamel paint I had laying around)

3: sand from 3000 grit to 12000 grit overall.

4: paint one very light coat of Oxford Blue (acrylic). Let it dry. Its a gloss.

5: paint overall coat of OB, then let dry.

6: spray overall clear Gloss.

7: apply decals.

8: spray overall semi-gloss clear. and remove bare-metal foil. Polish all clear areas with WD-40.

Rotor Head/Main blades were sprayed clear flat only.

...and after looking at this process.. i just realized how much work it was!

Fit was OK. Probably the area around all the multiple window panels in the front was the hardest. Fuselage and rotor head was easy..

Actually, the hardest thing was finding good reference pics for that era machine.