F-4B Phantom (VF-102)

F-8E Crusader (VF-33)

A-4C Skyhawk (VA-66)

A-1H Skyraider (VA-65)

EA-1F Skyraider (VAW-33)

E-1 Tracer (VAW-12)

A-5A Vigilante (VAH-7)

RF-8A Photo Crusader (VFP-62)

Here are the first two models for this airwing. The first is the EA-1F Skyraider. It's the Tamiya kit with the C&H Aero A-1E conversions. Some scratchbuilding and parts from the Matchbox A-1E kit finished it off. The second is the Collect Aire E-1 Tracer. This was one of CA's better kits. It went together very nicely for a resin kit.

ea1f1.JPG

ea1f2.JPG

ea1f3.JPG

ea1f4.JPG

tracer1.JPG

tracer2.JPG

tracer3.JPG

tracer4.JPG

Edited by Darren Roberts

Beautiful work Darren!... I especially like your EA-1F... :bandhead2:

I'm still hoping to get an injection molded Tracker in 1/48 someday... :thumbsup:

I can't wait to see the rest of the air wing come aboard, especially the RF-8A.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
Here's where I'm at on the RF-8A. All it needs is the seat and the canopy. It's the Hasegawa kit with the RVHP conversion.

rf8a.JPG

rf8b.JPG

rf8c.JPG

Darren how did you do the camera windows? I have started on mine. I cut out the speedbrake, I am going to shoot Tamiya smoke on the windows to see how they look. By the way it looks great, Rene'.

Hey Rene,

I took the easy way out and painted them Engine Gray. It's really dark, but not quite black. I think it gives a good look. I'll bring it to the January meeting. Bring yours with you. Making the cut on the fuselage where we talked about works like a charm.

Hey Rene,

I took the easy way out and painted them Engine Gray. It's really dark, but not quite black. I think it gives a good look. I'll bring it to the January meeting. Bring yours with you. Making the cut on the fuselage where we talked about works like a charm.

Thanks and I cut mine in the same place as you did, I did cut out the speed brake and I am raising the wing.

Here's the next addition. This is the Hasegawa kit with VF-33 markings. I replaced the seat with a resin one and put in a Steel Beach intake plug. All that's left is to finish off the RF-8 and the F-4, which also needs seats and canopies.

vf33f8a.JPG

vf33f8b.JPG

vf33f8c.JPG

vf33f8d.JPG

vf33f8e.JPG

wait wait wait....back up there ace. Did you say "scratchbuilt A-5"?

Yup, you read right. It's scratchbuilt. I did it a number of years ago. It started when I was looking at the ESCI 1/72 Tu-22 Backfire bomber at my LHS. I noticed it had a similar shape to the Vigi, and the window was placed exactly where it should be. So, I thought, "Why not?" The front fuselage is from the ESCI Tu-22, the intakes are modified F-14 intakes, the rear lower fuselage is from a 1/48 MiG-31, the top fuselage is sheet styrene, as are the vertical and horizontal stabs. The inner wings are from a 1/48 MiG-25, and the outer wings are from a 1/72 MiG-25. The front landing gear is a combination of F7F and A-4 gear. The mains are reworked 1/32 F-4 gear. The spine consists of two 1/32 halves of AIM-7 Sparrow missiles. I originally completed it in VAH-1 markings, but wasn't happy with the surface detail. So, I stripped it, filled and rescribed the lines I had already done, and added more. I chose the A-5A because I figured if anybody came out with a Vigi, it would be the recon version. I guessed right. :crying2:

Yup, you read right. It's scratchbuilt. I did it a number of years ago. It started when I was looking at the ESCI 1/72 Tu-22 Backfire bomber at my LHS. I noticed it had a similar shape to the Vigi, and the window was placed exactly where it should be. So, I thought, "Why not?" The front fuselage is from the ESCI Tu-22, the intakes are modified F-14 intakes, the rear lower fuselage is from a 1/48 MiG-31, the top fuselage is sheet styrene, as are the vertical and horizontal stabs. The inner wings are from a 1/48 MiG-25, and the outer wings are from a 1/72 MiG-25. The front landing gear is a combination of F7F and A-4 gear. The mains are reworked 1/32 F-4 gear. The spine consists of two 1/32 halves of AIM-7 Sparrow missiles. I originally completed it in VAH-1 markings, but wasn't happy with the surface detail. So, I stripped it, filled and rescribed the lines I had already done, and added more. I chose the A-5A because I figured if anybody came out with a Vigi, it would be the recon version. I guessed right. ;)

What are you on? and can i have some? :woot.gif: that vigi looks freakin' sweet!

and i really like those vf-33 markings

• 1 month later...

Darren hope you don't mind. But I save your photos of your xollent builds. The reason is that I scratchbuilted a 1962 1/350 BigE out of papercard. The hull is 95% done. I'll post photos in a min. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Yup, you read right. It's scratchbuilt. I did it a number of years ago. It started when I was looking at the ESCI 1/72 Tu-22 Backfire bomber at my LHS. I noticed it had a similar shape to the Vigi, and the window was placed exactly where it should be. So, I thought, "Why not?" The front fuselage is from the ESCI Tu-22, the intakes are modified F-14 intakes, the rear lower fuselage is from a 1/48 MiG-31, the top fuselage is sheet styrene, as are the vertical and horizontal stabs. The inner wings are from a 1/48 MiG-25, and the outer wings are from a 1/72 MiG-25. The front landing gear is a combination of F7F and A-4 gear. The mains are reworked 1/32 F-4 gear. The spine consists of two 1/32 halves of AIM-7 Sparrow missiles. I originally completed it in VAH-1 markings, but wasn't happy with the surface detail. So, I stripped it, filled and rescribed the lines I had already done, and added more. I chose the A-5A because I figured if anybody came out with a Vigi, it would be the recon version. I guessed right. :(

It takes a keen eye to even envision all those other, various scale kit parts as a finished 1/48 scale A-5 in the first place, then some real craftsmanship to pull it all together so successfully as you've done.

Great stuff, Darren, all of it.

John