Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Kit Questions

Has anyone studied the instruction sheet for this kit and found any paint color inaccuracies for details painting? The instructions call to paint 95% of the engine X-18 Semi-Gloss black and I am not sure if that is correct. In the little detail book provided in the kit the real picture of the engine it looks more like Anadonic Grey or Gunmental not black.

Also wanted to ask where the flaps up or down when parked on the ground? Never build a Spitfire kit that had seperate flaps.

Edited by MESHER

All Merlins were black. Spitfires were rarely seen with flaps down, unless being worked on; the Pilot's Notes instructed them to raise the flaps immediately after landing, and before starting to taxi. Dropped flaps could cause overheating, due to the flaps blanking off the radiators' flow, and there was also the risk of mud getting into the hinges.

Edgar

Edgar - do you know if there was any rhyme or reason to which Merlins had "ROLLS ROYCE" cast into the rocker covers and which didn't??

Also, in lots of period photos, it seems many of the bolt heads on the gear case, etc were left in natural metal. Do you know if that was typical, or was the whole thing assembled then painted black from top to bottom??

J

Tamiya made 3 new paints for this kit but failed to make a RAF Interior Green and advise to use their IJN Cockpit Green, hm...weird? I am not sure if that is a very accurate color match and is questionable given the price of this kit. Sure I know everyone has their own paint brand they prefer and there are several companies that make an accurate RAF Int Green but still makes me wonder. I have seen a few in progress picks of this kit and so far everyone has used the IJN Cockpit Green.

I wish they had made the paints in their normal acrylic line and not they spray bomb line. I don't do enamels/laquers, and I don't do spraybombs. I have the chart to mix the correct shades from their XF line, so I will see how that goes.

Tamiya made 3 new paints for this kit but failed to make a RAF Interior Green and advise to use their IJN Cockpit Green, hm...weird? I am not sure if that is a very accurate color match and is questionable given the price of this kit. Sure I know everyone has their own paint brand they prefer and there are several companies that make an accurate RAF Int Green but still makes me wonder. I have seen a few in progress picks of this kit and so far everyone has used the IJN Cockpit Green.

Just answered this on LSP; if you look on here, you'll find a thread on seat cushions, and it includes a couple of photos of a Spitfire seat, in the "proper" interior colour, not the grey-green seen everywhere.

Edgar

Edgar - do you know if there was any rhyme or reason to which Merlins had "ROLLS ROYCE" cast into the rocker covers and which didn't??

Also, in lots of period photos, it seems many of the bolt heads on the gear case, etc were left in natural metal. Do you know if that was typical, or was the whole thing assembled then painted black from top to bottom??

J

Sorry, left this late; I believe that all British engines had the Rolls-Royce logo, but (for obvious reasons) not the Packard varieties. Haven't a clue on the bolts, unless they were anodised, or something; I'm trying to get hold of the Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust, on another matter, so I'll see if they know.

Edgar

I picked up the paint jars this weekend

XF-81 Dark Green 2(RAF)

Xf-82 Ocean Gray 2 (RAF)

Xf-83 Medium Sea Gray 2 (RAF)

My LHS owner made sure to point them out to me.

I got the last bottle of green. Seems the Armour folks are picking it up as well.

Oh BTW, on the engines of FM-104 I noticed MAYTAG on the covers.

Merlin

Edited to add the names on the bottles.

Edited by Av8fan
I picked up the paint jars this weekend

XF-81

Xf-82

Xf-83

My LHS owner made sure to point them out to me.

I got the last bottle of green. Seems the Armour folks are picking it up as well.

Oh BTW, on the engines of FM-104 I noticed MAYTAG on the covers.

Merlin

Hey, thanks. I didn't know they had them in the XF line.

Looks like Sprue Bros. doesn't have them in yet. Too bad they did away with the BIG bottles.

I thought they had too, but I was told different. IIRC Roll Models carries the big bottles. They haven't stopped making them. You just have to watch what you're buying when you buy it.

J

I thought they had too, but I was told different. IIRC Roll Models carries the big bottles. They haven't stopped making them. You just have to watch what you're buying when you buy it.

J

Again, cool!The last ones I bought I had to get off e-bay for the large bottles, all the usual suspects had the 10ml size. They just don't last long enough, and I have large bottle of Tamiya paint that I have had going on 15 years that are still good. I at least I need white and black in the large size, I do a lot of mixing.

I'd support your efforts in producing decals by purchasing some if you do decide to make some (hint hint nudge nudge) :lol:

Brad

J

Just answered this on LSP; if you look on here, you'll find a thread on seat cushions, and it includes a couple of photos of a Spitfire seat, in the "proper" interior colour, not the grey-green seen everywhere.

Edgar

Look where? Do you have a link?

No doubt, they basically have it ready to go. They just need to remove "PCM" from the etching of the PE set that comes with that Spitfire kit, and they are done.

Some of Eduard's PCM parts do not fit the Tamiya kit, so parts like the instrument panel, and radiator faces will need to be redesigned first.

Ron