I suppose this might actually go under Tools 'N Tips, but I think it's more appropriate here.

I picked an AMT/Ertl kit of the critter from the "Alien" movies, it's occured to me before I start that it wouldn't look right without that slime dripping from it's jaws.

Any ideas of how to replicate this?

The effect in the film was done with condom lube, don't think this'll work for a kit....

Felinoid

The safe way to go would be something like Elmers white glue. If you mess it up or don't like it, its easily removed. You could also go with 5 minute Epoxy, though thats a one shot deal to get it right and you are stuck with it.

Epoxy works. I've also seen it done with acrylic gloss that the bottle has been left open for a long time so that the stuff becomes all stringy. Acrylic gel coat, such as the type that ship modelers use to make realistic waves on their model bases is probably the best product to try though as you can build it up in layers and it is clear (compared to epoxy which usually has a slight yellowish tinge to it). You can usually find gel coat at art supply stores.

Since you live in CT Felinoid, you might have a ship modeler nearby who can help show you how the stuff works (since many ship modelers tend to live on the east coast it seems)!

Edited by Jay Chladek

Here's a thought for the 5-minute epoxy route that might be a little more forgiving: Take the alien's face, coat it with Bare Metal Foil, then rub a very thin coat of Vaseline over the foil. You should now have a chromed-face Alien, with the foil conforming to all the little nooks and crannies. Apply your epoxy "slime" to this surface, let it dry, then peel the whole thing off the alien. You should be able to peel the foil off the back of the dried epoxy, and wait until you're done with the painting of the alien. Then add the pre-dried epoxy "drips" to the alien's face.

All good suggestions, I'll probably try a mix. Never thought there could be so many ways to get slimed :lol: .

Does anyone have pics of finished Alien kits or a link for pics? I've Googled Alien, Aliens, Giger's Alien and I keep coming up with hundreds of non-"Alien" related links.

My plan is to assemble the kit (always a good start!), paint it black and dry-brush various greys and silvers. Any tips for dry-brush colors?

Thanks for the tips, I'll take more :salute:

The one I did from Halcyon years ago was black with greens yellows tan grey and even silver drybrushed.

I used to have some old Cinemagic magazines as well as a few Alien and Aliens books and journals.

The Halcyon Alien from Alien3 I did in chocolate brown with tan grey yellow and black drybrushing as well.

William G

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone have pics of finished Alien kits or a link for pics?

This is the Halcyon Alien3 kit by a talented sci-fi modeler who posts as Paul-Maud-Dib. It might be not exactly what you're looking for Felinoid, but it's a good example of even if you omit the hassell with the drool, you can still end up with a very impressive model. HTH and all the best with it :woot.gif: .

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn276/P...ienCreature.jpg

• 4 weeks later...